Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:43:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First time multi-basing - question about final steps and varnishing  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: First time multi-basing - question about final steps and varnishing
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2019, 12:56:33 PM »
I paint my miniatures individually and then base them. I usually don't bother with varnish on multibased figures. I find they are not as exposed in a group as when they are based individually. As people are more likely to pick up a multibase by the base and not by a mini. And I have had some bad experiences with varnish whitening.
I add flags when everything is based as that way I can make sure that there is actually room for the flags.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2019, 01:33:42 PM »
I always matt varnish, and I can't imagine not doing it. And it's not just to protect the models from damage.

When I finish painting a batch of figures, they never look 'right'. Most of the colours are satiny or even glossy, and after the final tedious stage of touching up all the mistakes I've made, it still doesn't seem like they are finished products.
A successful coat of matt varnish though, and suddenly they look finished. All the various stages of glossiness are evened out and dulled down , and I feel I can finally see the colours. Often just before I varnish I don't feel like I've done a good job - they seem messy, full of mistakes, the colours aren't right, etc.... I spray them, leave them to dry for an hour, and come back.... and WHAM, all doubts are put aside - they look good!

So I can't imagine not varnishing, even if for whatever reason you aren't worried about damage.

And in regards to metallics, I really like how the matt varnish dulls them down - I don't want them all shiny. I don't know if you'd call the end finish on my metallics matt or satin, but it certainly looks good to my eyes.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 10:01:41 AM »
When painting multi-based figures I usually put half the figures on the multibase for painting, and leave the rest on temporary bases (e.g. if there are 4 figures on a 60x30 base, or a 40x40 base, just put two on, leaving plenty of room for painting).
If the figures are in loose order I base all before painting.
Once all are painted, glue in position, and add basing material ( I use artists's texture paste). Then, wash, dry brush and apply static grass. I varnish after basing is done using a satin polyurethane applied with a brush; don't varnish before you apply static grass as it loves to stick to varnished figures.