Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:11:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686620
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Step by Step for 2' x 2' Terrain Tiles (please!!) :)  (Read 8750 times)

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: Step by Step for 2' x 2' Terrain Tiles (please!!) :)
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2019, 09:24:35 PM »
Have a look at "Instructables"

Here's one example;
https://www.instructables.com/id/Modular-Tabletop-Terrain-Boards/

There are other ideas to be found there as well.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2019, 11:04:57 PM »
One way to reduce the gap effect is to paint the sides of the pieces to match to the top - helps them almost disappear.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2019, 07:09:27 AM »
Thanks guys.... keep those ideas coming  8)

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2019, 07:40:52 PM »
The following is another Perry Miniatures article I just found. It gives minimum information of the construction of the terrain boards, but I still found it of interest!
https://www.perry-miniatures.com/pages.php?page=making-of-mafeking
The boards appear to be styrofoam a couple of inches thick, glued to a thin base of plywood of mdf.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2019, 07:29:43 AM »
The following is another Perry Miniatures article I just found. It gives minimum information of the construction of the terrain boards, but I still found it of interest!
https://www.perry-miniatures.com/pages.php?page=making-of-mafeking
The boards appear to be styrofoam a couple of inches thick, glued to a thin base of plywood of mdf.

Ha! Thanks Cram! I'd forgotten about that article!  8)

Offline Chrismck

• Bookworm
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2020, 11:43:16 PM »
Check out "the terrain tutor" he has a really useful guide on 2x2 tikes. I've used the same technique for 2x4 boards too. Here's the link

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ7Nizz1lNU

Best of luck!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2020, 09:15:33 AM »
Check out "the terrain tutor" he has a really useful guide on 2x2 tikes. I've used the same technique for 2x4 boards too. Here's the link

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ7Nizz1lNU

Best of luck!

Thanks. I've seen most of his vids on the Terrain Tutor YouTube page since I posted the original question.

I've also been in touch with our very own Captain Blood, which has really helped me out in simplifying the process- if you're reading this, thanks again Richard  8)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2020, 09:56:35 AM »
You’re welcome  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2020, 11:21:38 AM »
You’re welcome  :)

Credit where credit is due mate. You have saved me a lot of time and perhaps just as importantly lowered the weight and encumbrance significantly!  8)

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2020, 05:06:19 PM »
Just wondering how the boards are coming along, and any advice you could share?

Many thanks

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2020, 05:18:29 PM »
Just wondering how the boards are coming along, and any advice you could share?

Many thanks

I haven't started them mate  lol

On a serious note I haven't got as much time as I had previously due to illness in the "oldies" of the family (they won't mind me calling them that).

I'm still working on stuff.

I'm beginning to wish that I'd bought 25mm thick tiles but that can be easily remedied. Thing is I've got five of the 6' x 2' sheets that B&Q used to sell, I thought they were 50mm but it turns out that they're 60mm! They would have gone very nicely with the Panel Systems 50mm set I bought. They're only real use now would be for large hills and cliffs etc. Not the end of the world, just having a bit of a grumble :)

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2020, 05:45:34 PM »
Sorry to hear about illness of the 'oldies', hope things improve!

I've got plenty of ideas for when I do mine. But still don't know about bracing the boards or not. conflicting info on this, some say its essential, other people disagree, claiming their boards aren't braced and they have never had any warping.

Anyway I want get to start them until later in the year whatever I decide. I'm having my garage turned into a games room in a couple of months, and don't see the point in starting any boards until the rooms done.....planning the boards ahead is another matter, looking for info well in advance.

Good luck with them when you do make a start, and please share!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2020, 06:58:29 PM »
Sorry to hear about illness of the 'oldies', hope things improve!

I've got plenty of ideas for when I do mine. But still don't know about bracing the boards or not. conflicting info on this, some say its essential, other people disagree, claiming their boards aren't braced and they have never had any warping.

Anyway I want get to start them until later in the year whatever I decide. I'm having my garage turned into a games room in a couple of months, and don't see the point in starting any boards until the rooms done.....planning the boards ahead is another matter, looking for info well in advance.

Good luck with them when you do make a start, and please share!

I've spoken over the net to a few folk who have advised me that as long as I'm using thick foam (about 50mm) then there is little need to brace the boards. This seems to make sense but I'm still in two minds as to what exactly is the right approach  o_o

I'll report back on anything I make but as I'm not at all certain as to when that might be. Hopefully soon :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2020, 09:45:21 PM »
I’ve got maybe 15 different foam slab boards, all 40mm or 50mm thick. Some of them I made almost 10 years ago. They have lots of terrain features built onto them / carved into them. Not one of them has ever warped one jot. They are as straight and true as the day they were made. So personally, as long as you’re using thick styrofoam slabs (rather than thin white polystyrene sheets) I’d say bracing and edging foam boards is a waste of time and effort.

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2020, 10:54:25 PM »
Captain Blood where do you get your styrofoam boards from? I've looked around for foam boards at a decent price and size without luck so far.

I wonder if in the many cases of warping wood boards it is down to the environment in which the boards are stored, and/or if the are stored flat or on their side. I recently spoke to a gamer who has 6mm mdf terrain tiles, not braced and claims in the 8 years he has had them they have not warped, another has boards braced but has suffered some warping in the 5 years he has had them!!