Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:48:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686662
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A look at Fireforge Games' Templar Grand Master  (Read 2580 times)

Offline MustContainMinis

• Librarian
    • Must Contain Minis
A look at Fireforge Games' Templar Grand Master
« on: August 25, 2019, 05:06:14 AM »
Today's post is a quick one looking at the Templar Grandmaster by Fireforge Games. Overall, two very nice minis.

https://mustcontainminis.com/2019/08/fireforge-games-templar-grandmaster.html

Article at...
https://mustcontainminis.com/2019/08/fireforge-games-templar-grandmaster.html
Check out my site Must Contain Minis. I do news, previews, showcases and reviews of miniatures and miniature related products.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: A look at Fireforge Games' Templar Grand Master
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 06:07:35 AM »
I really wish that manufacturers would be more subtle when adding heraldry on shields, surcoats and even heraldic banners.

They are great sculpts, the resins, but they are let down by the chunkiness of sculpting on the heraldry :(

Kind Regards

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 07:37:38 AM »
I was thinking the exact same thing. Very nice though.

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 01:39:43 PM »
I really wish that manufacturers would be more subtle when adding heraldry on shields, surcoats and even heraldic banners.

They are great sculpts, the resins, but they are let down by the chunkiness of sculpting on the heraldry :(

Kind Regards

I guess you could always do a sand-down of the shield. Lots of work though!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 02:01:50 PM »

A high range dusk mask job though, resin dust is quite nasty stuff.

I don't mind filing down heraldry on metal so much, I use my Dremmel!! It works wonders and it quick. Obviously you have to be very careful!  :o

Kind Regards

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 02:26:37 PM »
Wot, fingers on the gauntlets?  >:(
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 06:09:57 AM »
That level of chunkiness on the mini might not look great at .5cm, at 30cm, the painting will look great - highlighted, shaded, etc. I think it's a nice looking mini, tarnished by overly-close photos.

It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 07:04:07 AM »
I am really not a fan of sculpt on heraldry. It limits the potential of the mini's. Replacing the shield with a plain one is easy. Removing heralrdy from tunic and cape not. Which is the reason I haven't bought any of these new Fireforge mini's. Although it does look a lot better than their historical plastic sets.

Offline mithril

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 07:18:49 AM »
Wot, fingers on the gauntlets?  >:(
looks like they were sculpted correctly as sleeves attached to fingerholes/cords (basically fingerless gloves) that hold them in place over the back of the hand, but leaves the fingers and palm free to grip things. presumably they would be wearing fabric or leather gloves underneath.
gloves or mittens made of chainmail would make it almost impossible to grip anything, much less a sword or mace. especially if you wanted to swing one with any force against another object.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 07:59:40 AM »
I have conflicted feelings regarding sculpt-in heraldry. I can't draw to save my life, so sculpt-in motifs are a big help. However, in this case, it is too over the top. I would like something more subtle. On the other hand, I strongly suspect that it is because of the medium used to sculpt the model and that it is because it is sculpted in resin that they need to exagerate the details.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 08:19:05 AM »

On the shield - pretty easy. On the cloak.... that's another thing. :S

Offline Rok

• Student
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 03:11:27 PM »
Hi, thank for the review.
The mini itself is overall nice and, for me, a very welcome addition along the Hochmeister. I have a few things though that I wasn't super enthusiastic about.
I share with other people here the opinion that the scuplted heraldry is quite a downside, I didn't mean to paint this guy as a Templar but ultimately gave up.
Also, I have the impression (I'm not an expert, so I might very well be wrong) that the master sculpt was 3d printed because of all those "parallel" small lines on the mini. Not a huge deal but I'd liked a smoother surface.
Third (and last, promise  ;)), I really like FF minis and I was hoping to use the Grandmaster in my army, but the size... this guy, as the Hochmeister, is huge! I remember FF stating somewhere that this was intended to make models that would stand out and be recognizable or something like that. I can understand that but for me is a bit too much. I hope you don't mind me sharing a comparative pic.
So, yeah, I like the miniature but I don' think I'll be fielding him in my army very often

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 03:14:39 PM »
Also, I have the impression (I'm not an expert, so I might very well be wrong) that the master sculpt was 3d printed because of all those "parallel" small lines on the mini. Not a huge deal but I'd liked a smoother surface.

Yep. Looks like they used a Form-2 level of quality. Which is good for certain stuff, but definitely not enough for an industrial-grade human figure.

Offline Rok

• Student
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 03:29:17 PM »
Yep. Looks like they used a Form-2 level of quality. Which is good for certain stuff, but definitely not enough for an industrial-grade human figure.

Thanks for the explanation!
I don't know if you've seen it, but their previous "special character", Birger Jarl, is definitely better in my opinion in terms of quality (a few occasional bubbles aside) and detail. I wonder why they've changed path

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 03:39:53 PM »
Thanks for the explanation!
I don't know if you've seen it, but their previous "special character", Birger Jarl, is definitely better in my opinion in terms of quality (a few occasional bubbles aside) and detail. I wonder why they've changed path

In my experience, Fireforge has been very disconstant in terms of style consistency, overall quality and more in general business direction.

Last April 1st they announced a new range of WW2 ships, in a truly oddly scale (1:1175 or something like this), and EVERYONE took that as an april's fool. Turns out it wasn't.

Even their fantasy plastic range - which was VERY promising - ended up much less captivating than what it could have been.