Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:30:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689659
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Normandy Farm Siege  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Hami

• Librarian
Normandy Farm Siege
« on: August 25, 2019, 05:52:47 PM »
Today the Farm seen its first action.

We had a British Platoon (I played those), US Airborne (my friend Chris played those - unpainted) and the Germans/Ost Battalion (played by my Dad). The table, scenario and figures where all selected by my Dad minus the US as those where my friends figures he wanted to try out.

We are still learning the rules so just trying new things just now:

The Battlefield
Western advance - US led

Eastern advance - British led

Normandy Farm Siege

6th June 1944, the navy had landed at the wrong beach which led to the platoon having to clear its way through a large minefield which slowed down their advance. The Platoon commander set a bearing that should have taken them to Bayeux. This was not the case. It was a disturbingly quiet advance. The only thing that the platoon had found that was of any value was the still warm coffee from the empty trenches they where finding along their advance and this was not the best tasting coffee. The thing that caught the eye of the Platoon Commander was that all the news papers where in a foreign language and not in German.

After a few hours rest, while the morning mist was clearing the early morning Recce returned with the following information:
- There was a farm, a crossroads, a burnt out jeep, tents to the rear of the farm and what looked like a few hasty positions.
- They also noticed some another call sign advancing from the West, also heading the same direction as the platoon.

With a soggy map, a radio that wasn't working and a platoon that was tired and hungry, the Platoon Commander gave the order to take the farm house and hold it until they could figure out where they where.

With meeting no resistance at all so far the platoon advanced thinking the same for this farm, how wrong where they:

The British advanced along the East side of the farm while the US advanced along the West side.
East

West

Both Brits and US start taking fire from well dug in positions:

The fighting is now welll underway, with the British trying to gain ground while the Germans fired at them on every advance.

with the muzzle flash as the MG crew open up on the advancing British it wasn't long until they know that the farm house was not going to be an easy task to take. Orders from all sides where getting barked as rounds where coming in from everywhere, the NCO, keeping a calm head on quickly barked his set of orders to his section which started the assault on the building -

Quickly gaining ground on the East side after taking out the dug in position on the high ground:

after getting shot at from every building within the complex the NCO once again gave the order to assault the main building however to his surprise the sneaky Germans had people literally in every building and as the section moved across the open ground the noise echoed from with the stables as the germans opened fired on the passing British, managing to inflict casualties as they stormed the building:

With all the noise going on, the rounds hitting in and around the buildings, the noise of aircraft screaming in danger close (this gets explained on the West front) the Brits kick in the door to find two very scared looking French people curled up in the corner pointing up stairs, the NCO barking the orders once again and carried the assault up the stairs where they found the Germans that where inflicting casualties on his fellow soldiers. Although loosing several soldiers the fight wasn't over for this farm, once they cleared the building they took defence positions and started returning fire on the other buildings.

Those sneaky Germans in that stable where still there and playing hard to kill, knowing that they had the entrance point the previous section used covers the quick thinking Piat Team decided to see if they could help out and fired a round into the building, although not destroying the building the round punched through killing both germans allowing the advance to carry on:

although it was a successful assault on the farm the Brits did take a lot of casualties,

While the fight over the farm house was raging on in the East, the Western advance was seeing some of its own intense fighting.
The Americans which where made up from several units dropped in from all over the area carried on their assault now knowing the they where Ally forces assaulting the farm, keeping the germans busy at that location. As they advanced the POP in the distance was heard, INCOMING as the mortar round hit just behind the advancing section, this was not the main danger to them though as they quickly got engaged by an MG nest who was in overwatch at the crossroad they where heading towards. luckily enough the US had there 30cal in position ready for this occasion (by this point the German mortar team had tried to fire again however due to inexperienced soldiers/crew decided to sit and drink warm coffee instead). The firefight between 30Cal and MG went on for a while, the rifle sections aiding as they advanced across the fields towards the ruined building:

As this firefight raged on between the MG's, even more bullets where fired at the advancing sections across the fields. A quick scan off the area by the advancing section quickly noticed that it was coming from the ruined building, communicating this back to the forward observer quickly led to the calling in of Close Air support (the plane that was mentioned earlier), although not killing everyone it inflicted enough damage and casualties to break the unit and make them run:

This clearing the way for the sections to assault this position, while this was happening the US 30cal was able to successfully kill the nest, allowing uninterrupted movement tot he ruin.

This only leaving the HQ element and the Mortar team still alive on the board. With a quick bark of an order (about the ONLY order some of these units ever accepted) they quickly extracted off the board leaving behind there freshly brewed coffee.

After all the fighting was complete both US and British squads dug in, refortifying holes etc. Troop Commanders where busy exchanging information with the hope of finding out where in Normandy they where.

I have to say, Regular and experienced troops fighting inexperienced troops kind of helped the Allies take a Won today.

A HUGE THANK you to my Dad for painting the farm so that I could use it today in a game. I look forward to our next game, although I know it will not be so easy to win next time.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 07:49:13 PM by Hami »

Offline Tibson

• Bookworm
Re: Normandy Farm Siege
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 06:22:02 PM »
Nice write up.  What rules?

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 06:27:28 PM »
We where using Bolt Action rules.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 07:09:54 PM »
Nice write up. 

I had the defenders against a full Regular British Platoon of 3 x 10 man sections, Platoon HQ (3), PIAT team (2) and 2" mortar team (2) and an Elite US Para group of 2 x 9 man squads, platoon HQ (3) and .30" LMG team (3)m= 61 troops and a Mustang.  My forces 2 x 6 man Georgian Legion sections, Georgian Legion 8cm mortar team (2), 2 x 6 man Regular Grenadier sections, 1 x 8 man section in the farm buildings and a 2 man Platoon HQ = 36 men.  And two strips of (dummy) mines made from some of my dud hearing aid batteries painted green. 

The Georgians achieved very little inflicting only a couple of casualties before breaking under air attack and fleeing.  The Grenadiers lost out as the 2" mortar was remarkably effective in thinning out and the breaking a section and the Georgians broke thus exposing both flanks of the farm.  In the end only one section, the platoon HQ and the Georgian 8cm mortar escaped with any sort of dignity.  All the other Grenadiers stood their ground to the last except 3 who broke under the accurate fire of 2 sections and the 2" mortar. 

Probably quite a realistic result for a D-Day game!
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Chrismck

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 07:24:13 PM »
Cracking write up Hami. Think my yanks were just lucky the Georgians weren't wiling to take any orders today and decided on hasty retreat. Thoroughly enjoyed playing and getting to know the rules a little better. Now to get my miniss painted!! (Next pay check though!)

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 02:06:32 PM »
A very nice AAR.
Those finished terrain peces - esp. the farm buildingd - look excellent. Keep going like this!
Please visit my blog: Monty's Caravan