Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:29:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Has anybody tried to "not-wagame" Protest Marches, Riots etc.  (Read 4620 times)

Offline The Travelling Man

• Librarian
Re: Has anybody tried to "not-wagame" Protest Marches, Riots etc.
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2019, 08:36:32 AM »
This is the set Irregular produced http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/20mmRanges/20mmRiot.htm
Available in 6mm and 15mm along with 20s.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2019, 10:13:59 AM »
A friend did a matched pair of 'armies' for Hordes of the Things.
Poll tax protesters v Police. He claimed that (as a protester) this was
the nearest he ever came to being in a 'battle'. He did a stylised battlefield based
on London. Tourist type map for the base, London souvenirs (Tower Bridge, Big ben etc.)
as scenery. Bases of protesters/rioters had banners (Maggie Out, No Poll tax etc.)
Mounted police were 'knights', a helicopter was an Aerial, a base of news crew were sneakers,
an so on.

A good game for controlling the streets is Junta. Change military units for protesters/rioters.

When (many decades ago) I was still at school, there was a series of really big protests/riots
in Japan over a possible extension to a major airport. The left wing students wore building site
protective headgear & cut down local bamboo to make long spears. The Riot Police had large
rectangular shields & batons. There was a picture in one of the big papers of the riot, with both
sides really 'going for it'. I had just started wargaming & thought that must be something like
what a Macedonian v Roman battle must have looked like.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2019, 11:10:09 AM »
Thank-you everybody for the great ideas and suggestions.

@Vanth
Corteo does appear to be close to the concept that I have in mind. I have found some more details on the internet.
I will see if I can find a copy of the rules. It appears to be quite rare now.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9504/corteo

@has.been
Your friend's Hordes game on a map of London is very interesting. My first idea was to use Lion Rampant or The Men Who Would Be Kings. However, I  now thinking to something that is part wargame and part boardgame with a square grid or hexes.

Junta sounds interesting but from the description here it is not really about control of the streets in the way that I am imagining.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/242/junta
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 11:18:52 AM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2019, 12:01:33 PM »
A suggestion. Do not do a hex/square grid. Mark your board up with irregular shapes.
That means you create (realistic) 'invasion' routes, such as the Fulda gap in Germany
(a major way for invaders). This makes for better choices (We will stop the Persians
at Thermopalae, or They will not expect an attack through the Ardenne)

Just a thought.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2019, 12:14:36 PM »
A suggestion. Do not do a hex/square grid. Mark your board up with irregular shapes.
That means you create (realistic) 'invasion' routes, such as the Fulda gap in Germany
(a major way for invaders). This makes for better choices (We will stop the Persians
at Thermopalae, or They will not expect an attack through the Ardenne)

Just a thought.

I've seen that technique used to good effect in a number of boardgames, one, the name of which escapes me, created long thin areas around railway lines that touched multiple other areas around it, so that it enabled rapid movement between multiple areas.  As a result, control of the railway line areas became important much as it was historically.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Scrubber

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2019, 12:36:44 PM »
Thank Mick for starting this post, just given me the nudge I needed to revisit a failed project about civil unrest in modern times.
Following with interest.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2019, 08:04:45 AM »
The Troubles and undercover British would make for a good scenario here - I know of a few who served against the Irish in that role.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2019, 01:33:05 AM »
Mick,
        Are you on The Miniatures Page?  Ages ago, mid-1970s I think someone ran games at the Miniature Figure Collectors of America convention (beforenthe HMGS cons).  I am fairly certain the rules were home brewed.  Asking on TMP, might jar the memory of someone who was involved.  It was as I recall anti war protestors vs. police.

Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2019, 07:43:58 AM »
Dear Nick
I am still on TMP but I do not visit very often. I will post on there and see if I get any suggestions.
Best Regards
Mic

Online manchesterreg

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2019, 08:26:36 AM »
Theirs a game on wargamedownloads which may help, could juggle the rules.

Re-Route: The Marching Season Game Re-Route: The Marching Season Game covers 10 weeks during the 12th July
Orange Marches in Northern Ireland when passions and sectarianism are inflamed. The game is set in a typical year during the worst disturbances sparked by the annual Drumcree Orange Parade along the Garvaghy Road (1995-2000).

The game requires 3 players: The Loyalist player represents certain members of the Protestant community in Northern Ireland, such as the Orange Order, and various paramilitaries (e.g. UVF, LVF, UFF, RHC). The Republican player represents certain members of the Catholic community in the Occupied Six
Counties, such as Residents' Groups, and various paramilitaries (e.g. pIRA, cIRA, rIRA, INLA). The final player represents the Royal Ulster Constabulary police force (RUC). The Republican and Loyalist players use cards to influence regions on a map of Northern Ireland, reacting to one another and actions of the RUC player whose objective, in this game, is to reduce the influence of both the Loyalists and the Republicans.

The crux of the game is in judicious playing of the cards: The Loyalists
play a March card in Armagh - will you, as the RUC player, allow it to go ahead and risk a Republican Riot; or do you Re-Route that March and risk a Loyalist reaction that may itself provoke a worse Republican reaction?
Should have kept that Tear-Gas card...

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2019, 09:46:24 AM »
There was a set produced by the Society of Ancients fro riots in Rome, that we adapted to the Wars of the Roses and used for a demo game at a show once - that might have some ideas you could pinch...

Mike
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2019, 10:42:43 AM »
Thank-you for all f the suggestions.

@manchesterreg
Re-Route: The Marching Season Game looks to be a very good start so I have just bought it.
http://wargamedownloads.com/item.php?item=315&pics=2

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2019, 10:23:17 PM »
I can recall Civil Disorder, which covered more or less the kind of encounters you talked about.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/66654/civil-disorder

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2019, 07:04:19 AM »
Dear Suber,

Thank-you for the link.

I was able to download a free 25 page PDF of the rules but I had to join the site first.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/66654/civil-disorder/files

They look very good and I will give them go.

Civil Disorder looks like a very comprehensive and well written set of rules.
They were originally written in 1983 and the second edition was published in 2001.
The game is designed for about 200 figures and 4-6 players so it looks like it would be a good game for a club.
The rules are a very typical able top wargame in style.

This looks like it has most of the things that I want.
I may have to simplify it a bit so that it flows with two players.
I will probable buy N-gauge pre painted civilians for the crowd and convert Pendraken figures for Police and vehicles.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 07:28:56 AM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2019, 09:55:28 PM »
Glad you found it useful. I've used a few ideas from here for totally unrelated settings, and the general concept works nice, no matter what. I'd love to see what you do in the end  :)