Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:56:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What happened to the Victrix World War 1 sets?  (Read 2962 times)

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
What happened to the Victrix World War 1 sets?
« on: August 27, 2019, 03:58:59 PM »
Saw them in a back issue of Wargames Illustrated from 2014 whilst idly browsing, then checked their site but couldn't find them. Does anyone know what happened to the range? ???
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
Re: What happened to the Victrix World War 1 sets?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 04:11:24 PM »
Victrix probably just got caught up in all the WWI hype.
Then realised nobody actually really bothers with it from a wargaming perspective outside of the anniversaries. so it's a large cost to set up with very little gain.

Offline Over Open Sights

• Scientist
    • Over Open Sights
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 04:26:52 PM »
Beware generalisations. There are many WW1 gamers out there, old chum, self included.

I remember seeing images of the proposed sculpts as they were figures created using CAD. They got a lot of stick because, quite frankly, they weren't very good. I think, following the underwhelming response, Victrix quietly binned the project.
Military Miniatures Painted by Over Open Sights.
http://over-open-sights.blogspot.com/

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 04:42:31 PM »
Oooh! Well good to know then, I'll stick to Great War miniatures, Scarab and Woodbine then. And greenstuff for anything else. ;)

Thank you for the speedy responses gents!

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 04:52:11 PM »
I think they are on the back-burner. The Ancients have really taken off big time, I suspect they nicked the tooling time that should have gone to the WW1 figures.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 05:17:10 PM »
Plastics are expensive to make. So to ensure your investment is worthwhile you need either a large player base (WW2, Sc-Fi)  or large armies (ancients, medieavals) or both (Naps, ACW)
WW1 only needs relatively small forces in 28mm and doesn't have a huge player base. So making WW1 infantry in plastic is probably a bigger gamble for Victrix than, say, another plastic Viking set.
Their renders did come in for some criticism, but they were just renders, so relatively easy to amend. I suspect they did the maths and decided they might catch a cold, so backed out. IIRC at the same time there was talk of BA WW1 again with accompanying plastics from Warlord that also went quiet after a short period.

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 02:25:10 AM »
It's a shame that nothing came of this. I think a Bolt Action WW1 book could sell pretty well, you would have to think it would do just as well if not better than a Korean war variant.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 02:40:20 AM »
It's a shame that nothing came of this. I think a Bolt Action WW1 book could sell pretty well, you would have to think it would do just as well if not better than a Korean war variant.

I actually agree.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 02:22:19 PM »
I reckon you can go about converting some WW1 Germans with the finnish helmet heads and the japanese plastic set. Or some other combination of closely attired body.

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 11:35:01 PM »

I believe I saw something on the Facebook thread where they said what they had wasn't really up to the quality they wanted and just bagged the project.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 11:42:05 AM »
I game WW1 using BA. The mate I game with has more or less written a BA Late WW1 supplement although he doesn't plan to do anything with it. That said as we game late WW1 we don't change the BA rules that much.

An official BA WW1 supplement (ideally based on the Late War period) IMHO would have sold well if it have been released to coincide with the 1918 anniversary. I am not sure how well it would sell now.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 05:55:55 PM »
I'd imagine pretty well, there's almost always an article in Wargames Illustrated on the topic. But hrm, guess we can only sit and wait.  :'(

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 05:45:49 AM »
Here is a Warlord Games figure (German Heer infantry) converted to a late WW1 stormtrooper:

Robert

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 05:44:48 PM »
Cracking work, Robert! Thanks for sharing!  :D

I had a similiar idea, however using the finnish heads, seeing as they got the helmet nubs.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 10:06:54 PM »
Oooh! Well good to know then, I'll stick to Great War miniatures, Scarab and Woodbine then. And greenstuff for anything else. ;)

Don't forget Brigade Games!  They have a great selection of WWI figures, especially if you are looking at theatres other than the Western Front.  (and they have Western Front as well)
http://brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/WW1--World-War-One_c_139.html

Not to be confused with Brigade Models, who have a range of 28mm WWI Belgians!  https://www.brigademodels.co.uk/GreatWar28/index.html