Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:25:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The King - new Netflix film  (Read 12927 times)

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Re: The King - new Netflix film
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2019, 09:48:40 AM »
Brian Blessed as Falstaff or no one.  ;)

He was the Earl of Essex, if you're talking about the movie.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2019, 09:49:32 AM »
Watched it. Got bored halfway and skipped to the end. I have seen fights between my cats that were more epic.

What type do you keep? Mine just skirmish.

Offline Silent bob

• Scientist
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2019, 10:25:52 AM »
He was the Earl of Essex, if you're talking about the movie.

The was also the Duke of Exeter......
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:28:20 AM by Silent bob »

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2019, 10:42:52 AM »
True. Oops.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2019, 12:23:41 PM »
FierceKitty: "Just watched it. A useful reminder of how good Shakespeare is (not that I needed it after seeing Gandalf as Lear last year).  "

Jealous!

FierceKitty: "What type do you keep? Mine just skirmish."

Ours too... but in their heads, they're thinking "Agincourt!". 

-Michael

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2019, 03:08:06 PM »
I must admit - I burst out in uncontrolable sobbing at the end (which set off at least one other person near me).

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2019, 02:08:07 PM »
Great flick. I quite liked the reinvention of Falstaff.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2019, 04:03:34 PM »

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2019, 08:16:38 AM »
I cant comment on any historic inaccuraties, but I found it somewhat dull.

The french prince was badle written. He was so obviously evil that it was bordering on silly, he might as well have been a vampire.

I dont know a lot of history, but even I knew enough history to know that the big battle was Agincourt and I think most people who would watch the movie figured this out as well.
They really didnt need the french prince going "This litttle village of Agincourt..." spoken in a carricature french accent more suitable for 'Allo 'Allo.

The duel between Henry and Hotspur was great, I loved that it wasnt epic and felt more realistic. The battle of Agincourt was well done too.

I feel the movie could would have been better with more battles. If you dont aim for historic accurracy (as I can see many critics claiming) at least aim for some action. Whats the point of diverging from history if you're not making the movie more interesting?

Offline Winston

• Librarian
    • YouTube: Winston Ab Rees
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2019, 05:40:34 PM »
I quite liked it. Agincourt was decent, much of it looked vaguely accurate historically and although the plot contained a lot of creative fiction it's not a documentary and some of the set piece dramatics were entertaining. Pattison was a bit silly but that was partly the point. This stuff is always going to be judged against Gladiator and Braveheart. Both brilliant films of historic fantasy. This never hits their heights but it's a bold and ambitious movie with a surprisingly convincing lead performance. It's loads better than Outlaw King, which had its decent moments but was largely a dull two hours-plus of men scowling between brief moments of excitement.
Give us a follow on Twitter: @winston_ab_rees and Insta: winston_ab_rees

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2019, 06:04:25 PM »
"This litttle village of Agincourt..." spoken in a carricature french accent more suitable for 'Allo 'Allo.

The duel between Henry and Hotspur was great, I loved that it wasnt epic and felt more realistic. The battle of Agincourt was well done too.

Particularly as, being French, he would have called it Azincourt. That doesn't seem to be what has riled the French, however:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11/04/director-agincourt-museum-says-netflixs-king-anti-french-will/

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2019, 11:02:28 PM »
Thanks for that link, Andrew.

One thing in it struck my interest: "Recent research dismisses as well wide of the mark Shakespeare’s claims that Henry’s “happy few” defeated a French army that outnumbered his men by five to one.  The figures were most likely 12,000 French to as many as 9,000 English, they say."

?? Can't say I haven't read all of the recent literature, but I have read some and I haven't seen any that put the forces this close together in numbers.  Anyone have some insight on this argument?

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2019, 12:38:41 AM »
Sounds like the usual "Oh, God, I'll never get tenure if I don't find a topic for my Ph.D." syndrome.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2019, 05:54:42 AM »
Thanks for that link, Andrew.

One thing in it struck my interest: "Recent research dismisses as well wide of the mark Shakespeare’s claims that Henry’s “happy few” defeated a French army that outnumbered his men by five to one.  The figures were most likely 12,000 French to as many as 9,000 English, they say."

?? Can't say I haven't read all of the recent literature, but I have read some and I haven't seen any that put the forces this close together in numbers.  Anyone have some insight on this argument?

Educated 'guestimates', which is all we can do, have varied over the years but I think that if you read Agincourt, A New History, Prof. Anne Curry, Tempus 2005 you will find the most in depth study of the numbers of French at the battle that is available. Anne Curry is one of the foremost academics in this field and unfortunately and trhis study is head and shoulders above, for example, the popular history of Juliet Barker.