Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:07:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690801
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: LEAD PAINTERS' LEAGUE 13 - GENERAL DISCUSSION  (Read 33560 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: LEAD PAINTERS' LEAGUE 13 - GENERAL DISCUSSION
« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2019, 10:51:51 PM »
Ah, it’s a shame you two couldn’t make it, but work up those entries for the next league  ;)

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2019, 07:13:06 PM »
I'm afraid I had a similar thing, involving a previous theatre engagement I didn't know about, a visit from my sister and nephew, my mother visiting and a party for an old friend that wiped out the week prior. Next year for sure..
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2019, 01:19:11 PM »
The scene may be a tie-breaker, but very rarely will it save a half-bothered team.

While in essence I agree with Dolmot's tips (I don't think there is much to argue with there) it's also my experience that a well-thought out scene can give you the edge against someone whose painting level is not too different to your own. Obviously, I don't think average paint-jobs are ever going to beat top-notch ones, but I think a good appealing scene can get your nose in front against a painter who is roughly at your level.

Hm...you can choose to see a difference between these two if you really want to. I won't try to give numeric values to "a tie", "not too different", "roughly at your level" and "well-thought out scene", nor go into hyperboles here. I think you get the main point anyway. :)

OK, I'll give you some numeric values after all. If the entry (as in "the team") is only 80% ready, just keep polishing that and try to figure out a simple backup setting. If it's 90% ready and you still have free time, start considering something fancy but still finish the team too. (However, I won't try to tell what "80%" exactly means. lol ) Minis first.

The good old "band photo" brick wall saved me countless times. It's a scene, alright, and no issues whatsoever with depth, weird shadows or being too busy. That one I could shoot and edit in 30 minutes, in comparison to the hours of work that an elaborate scene and its shooting would take, all things considered. (Sometimes doubled when the first version just didn't work out, no matter what, and had to be scrapped.) If you're lucky enough to have something passable that can be re-used, that's a solid plan B too.

My worst scheduling ever was spending a full week cleaning and undercoating a pile of terrain bits, which never made it to any entries because I didn't have any time to actually paint them. ::) "Do or do not. But do not faff." -Yoda

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2019, 03:52:14 PM »

My worst scheduling ever was spending a full week cleaning and undercoating a pile of terrain bits, which never made it to any entries because I didn't have any time to actually paint them. ::) "Do or do not. But do not faff." -Yoda

I have an end of year tradition of painting up the various figures and scenery bits that were intended for LPL scenes but didn't get finished in time to include. No primed figures enter the new year!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2019, 09:55:49 AM »
Apologies for the delay in getting Round 2 up this morning, I was still having technical difficulties! Hopefully the images are at full res now. Good luck.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2019, 04:50:22 AM »
Well, I am entered up to round 6.  Must stay focused.

I am aiming to have all my entries in by the end of October.  If I wait, I'll have something wrong, I'm sure.

o_o
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2019, 06:56:44 AM »
Received!

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2019, 11:44:12 AM »
WOW
I am struggling with 4th :>

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2019, 12:39:39 PM »
luckily I finished painting my 4th round minis before the start, but I've been going to a Japanese Film Festival that started the same week as the LPL so since the LPL started I've only managed to paint the skin on 2 goblins, I did manage to see 27 movies though  lol

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2019, 01:55:23 PM »
Working on round 8 but still lots of photos to take and trying to add extra figures to some of earlier rounds to improve them

so looking forward to taking lots of pictures and going no, no , no, no , no (5 hours later), no, yes

Not my skill set

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2019, 04:21:53 PM »
I suppose I should note down the subjects for each round and see if I can work up something for next year. Total completed figures so far for 2018, 27, and 20 of those aren't for me. :-[
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2019, 04:24:55 PM »
My first-round entry wasn't completed, but this was going to be my second-round entry. Yes, I should save it for the next Lead Painter's League, but I don't have the attention span to wait :) Oathmark humans as Bretonnians with some Statuesque miniatures' female heads.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2019, 04:54:10 PM »
Beautiful as ever. What a shame you didn’t quite make it in time for the LPL :'(

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2019, 05:08:40 PM »
Shame you didn't make it as they are sumptuous

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2019, 05:12:11 PM »
I suppose I should note down the subjects for each round and see if I can work up something for next year. Total completed figures so far for 2018, 27, and 20 of those aren't for me. :-[

It's never too early to start for next year and it drives you on to get more figures painted - 7 rounds are usually open and 3 have special bonuses available but you don't have to get the bonus.