Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:01:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689676
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Latter-Day Palaiologi?  (Read 1053 times)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Latter-Day Palaiologi?
« on: August 29, 2019, 07:27:35 PM »
Hi!

A bit of an odd one, but as part of my fairly unfocused reading, I've somehow landed upon the Palaiologos Marquis (Marquises?) of Montferrat, and the post-Imperial Palaiologi (i.e, after 1453), and it got the ol' imagination and inspiration going!

I was wondering, does anyone know if there are any detailed descriptions around banners and engagements involving the Montferrat Palaiologi in the early Italian Wars (where they had a pro-French policy?)? I imagine their force composition would be pretty typical of an Italian state of the time, given that they were fairly assimilated over the previous two centuries!

At the same time, do we know if there are any descriptions of banners, coats-of-arms, or any peculiarities of members of the Palaiologos (or big-name-Byzantine) family fighting as Stratioti in the late 15th century, or where/who they fought for? I remember ages ago reading that a 'Manuel Palaiologos' took up service in the Low Countries, but I'm not sure if this is the same direct "son of Thomas Palaiologos" Manuel, or a more distant cousin...and I'm also not sure *where* I read that, so I'm a bit suspicious on the accuracy at the moment! 

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Latter-Day Palaiologi?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 05:32:00 PM »
Quick update, I've managed to track down where I had read that Manuel Palaiologos had (tried) to take up military service:

https://repository.royalholloway.ac.uk/file/8d5e5f50-eb89-df4b-2cb9-e031304df8a1/7/A_worthless_prince_Andreas_Palaeologus_in_Rome_by_Jonathan_Harris.pdf

It appears that Manuel was travelling around offering his services in Mantua, Milan and Lorraine and received offers, including from Charles the Bold, however none of these were to his liking so he went back to Rome, ah well!

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 08:22:18 AM »
Interesting period I often wonder where the refugees from Constantinople ended up.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 05:21:34 AM »
Interesting period I often wonder where the refugees from Constantinople ended up.
Some would've remained or returned to Constantinople and its environs and gained positions in the Ottoman hierarchy: The viziers Mesih Pasha and Hass Murad Pasha were converts and sons of Gidos Palaiologos, the brother of Constantine XI.

Some accompanied Sophia Palaiologina to Muscovy, introducing Late Byzantine court culture to the Rurikids...

Others would've settled in the Kingdom of Naples...

Marullus: Soldier Poet of the Renaissance

The Marulli could trace their roots to the Tribune Gaius Epidius Marullus. Michael Tarchaniota Marullus was a stradiot and a renowned poet and IIRC, mentioned in Cervantes' Don Quixote. 

Despots, Emperors, and Balkan Identity in Exile

Konstantinos Graitzas Palaiologos

Graitzas Defends Something Recently Useless

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 12:40:23 PM »
Condottiere,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave the information. A few stories there I wasn't aware of but will follow these up.

Best wishes
Willie