Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:47:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690822
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Paint me a 1metre long U-Boat until next week, will you?"  (Read 3047 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: "Paint me a 1metre long U-Boat until next week, will you?"
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2019, 09:42:53 AM »
Of course if you are wealthy, super obsessive and prepared to be bold with a razor saw there’s always the 1/48 Trumpeter version. It also opens up but would be a tight fit for 28mm figures.

https://www.squadron.com/Trumpeter-1-48-DKM-U-Boat-Type-VIIC-U-552-TR0680-p/tr06801.htm

The interior detail alone would probably keep you going for a couple of years.

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/7/t/175079.aspx

Mind that this kit was poorly received in scale modelling circles in that it had a huge number of errors and inaccuracies. It still looks like a Type VII, though, although I'd hazard a guess it is too expensive for those who want a game piece and too inaccurate for those who want a model and not spend half again that sum on aftermarket kits.

Re: original topic, holy cow, Herr Kaleu. Remarkable piece of work, and I commiserate on the sanding woes.

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2019, 10:21:34 AM »
Fantastic paint job!

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2019, 03:31:06 PM »
@carlos marighela: Oh yes, that's some tasty stuff. The 3rd party resin parts for interior bits I've seen are impressive too. I've seen people cut up U-Boat models and put those beautiful chunks of resin in for interior detailling, adding lights (always gimmicky, but it does look impressive for a minute, I have to admit and for a U-Boat at least it fits). But yeah, prices are going in "small car" directions with these projects.

@grant: Bah, GW's harmless compared to that serious stuff. :D Especially now that people make "armies" of like 20 figures. Which in a weird backwards way legitimizes the term "army" used in infinity for their squad-level forces. It's a whole weird circle dance there.

@Ultravanillasmurf: Thanks!

@.:Gunslinger:.: Thanks very much. I wasn't sure if my babbling would be interesting to anybody, but this specific piece is just so unique a project (for me at least) that I had to write something. Not the least just to explain what, how and why this is. I also really, really like complaining, so that helped too. :D

@Westfalia Chris: Yeah. I'm mighty afraid of 3d printing of course, but at the moment it's really just 'not there yet' in any way. The worst thing is how often I see people being so unimaginative or impractical about it by ONLY relying on it. Maybe it comes with the digital medium. But you can't just 3d print _everything_. Print the large chunks and clean them up properly, THEN add cast white metal details or sculpt something on by hand or add bits, textures, and so on. It's just like with MDF - it can't do everything well. It's got a place (mostly because it's cheap), but you can't do a full model from MDF and expect it to be comparable with a resin cast based on actual, proper sculpting. Ah well, so much for today's Old Man Sermon. Thanks very much for the compliments though! :D

@Braz: Thanks very much. Lots of trial (and luckily little in the way of error) and improvisation. Again - a tight deadline can work wonders for one's ability to make decisions. :D

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 04:12:43 PM »
Sigur; amazing work - I think I forgot to post that  lol
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2019, 04:15:07 PM »
I've a cereal packet beaten into a rough submarine shape. For Pulp games (being generous its a third the lenght of the print and a lot less hassle ,built painted and gamed with all in a day.  ;) )
I must confess (putting your cracking paint job aside) I rather like the original card version.In so far as the idea and the little bit of suggested detail of the torpedoes and the engine. For me it seems more submarine where as the print for me seems much more empty with out that suggestion of more internal detail.

Mark

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2019, 05:05:28 PM »
@grant: :D Thanks for pointing it out though. Much appreciated.

@tin shed gamer: Absolutely fair. I have to admit that I haven't seen the cardboard boat in person yet, but I'm sure it's perfectly nice. Getting the 3d printed one (and getting it painted and all) is basically a luxury on top.

Offline Redmist1122

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2019, 06:28:18 PM »
Its nice to have a 3D model of a board game to play on.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA