Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:07:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689479
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gaming board  (Read 3203 times)

Offline Chrismck

• Bookworm
Re: Gaming board
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 08:38:51 PM »
The photos don't really do it justice tbh. Here a few photos from the game today where you can see the stippling a little better with a natural light.

Offline Chrismck

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 08:40:52 PM »
The stippling effect can be seen a little better here.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 08:48:37 AM »
It looks nice and I wouldnt use flock.

I think a brown gaming boards has a lot of uses. I can be a village, a barren field, a forest and any number of other battlefields.
It does need more terrain than a board with a bit of green on it, or it'll look somewhat empty.

Extra drybrushing is a matter of taste, and its hard to get at good photo of that large a board, so it might well be a lot more nuances than are visible in the pics :)

Offline Chrismck

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 10:30:31 PM »
It looks nice and I wouldnt use flock.

I think a brown gaming boards has a lot of uses. I can be a village, a barren field, a forest and any number of other battlefields.
It does need more terrain than a board with a bit of green on it, or it'll look somewhat empty.

Extra drybrushing is a matter of taste, and its hard to get at good photo of that large a board, so it might well be a lot more nuances than are visible in the pics :)

That was my thoughts; it's quite versatile the way it is at the moment. I will definitely be building up more terrain as time goes on but as always it's a funding issue  lol lol

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2020, 07:35:51 AM »
I played a few games on this board on Sunday (I was the germans on the above photos). The photos dont do the board justice, the texture of the board is nice, not to over the top that the figures fall over and nor is it to little.

We were talking about how he needs more terrain and greenery to cover it though. I am sure that will come over time.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2020, 10:18:15 AM »
I'd add some irregular areas of flock and static grass - would make the board look better without having to dress it with fields and suchlike, and so  long as you leave area of brown for roads and tracks, the board remains versatile.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2020, 11:38:56 AM »
I can be a village, a barren field, a forest, and any number of other battlefields.

You are a true shape-shifter. All I can be is an 8" rule and a D6 with no even numbers.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Chrismck

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2020, 12:22:48 AM »
I'd add some irregular areas of flock and static grass - would make the board look better without having to dress it with fields and suchlike, and so  long as you leave area of brown for roads and tracks, the board remains versatile.

I think one of my main reasons for not adding any flock to the board is it will constantly be getting moved in and out of storage when not being used and flock does displace quite easily even when sealed properly etc. I'd be forever hoovering my carpets and re-applying constantly lol lol

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2020, 12:58:14 AM »
I think one of my main reasons for not adding any flock to the board is it will constantly be getting moved in and out of storage when not being used and flock does displace quite easily even when sealed properly etc. I'd be forever hoovering my carpets and re-applying constantly lol lol

What are you sealing the flock with?

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2020, 10:42:46 AM »
Hairspray is good for sealing flock; and my wife wonders why she keeps running out :-)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2020, 10:26:08 PM »
Seems my own boards have lots of parallels with yours.

The texture itself looks fantastic, and seems identical to the one I've achieved using the same method. I agree, stippled filler is the way to go!

I also store my large 2x4 boards under the bed!

I am surprised you don't want to flock it though. I get what you'rs saying with the boards shedding flock, but they can be sealed pretty effectively. I suggest using watered-own PVA, sprayed on with any sort of empty cleaning fluid spray bottle. You can go really heavy with it - completely drenched the flock in watery PVA. It seals pretty damn well. Sure, after packing the boards away after a game you will have just a little flock to quickly dust off  the table with your hands, but it's not as if you'll be carpeting your room in flock.