Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:33:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689255
  • Total Topics: 118266
  • Online Today: 558
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix and Warlord size  (Read 8786 times)

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
Victrix and Warlord size
« on: September 01, 2019, 06:31:59 AM »
Morning all.  We are just starting out playtesting Infamy, Infamy, our forthcoming Ancient skirmish rules. Thus far, my forces are largely Warlord, but I was wondering how Victrix compared for size?  Any thoughts on using them together?

Rich.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
Re: Victrix and Warlord size
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 06:59:11 AM »
Morning all.  We are just starting out playtesting Infamy, Infamy, our forthcoming Ancient skirmish rules. Thus far, my forces are largely Warlord, but I was wondering how Victrix compared for size?  Any thoughts on using them together?

Rich.

Victrix are slightly bigger and bulkier, they have similar proportions with Perry wotr minis.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 07:25:33 AM »

Rich.

In my opinion, Victrix are the superior figures, especially the more recent sets (Victrix Gauls are superb). You should be able to get away with using them together I'd have thought...

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 07:43:35 AM »
Seconded, especially the later sets, the Victrix figs are really good. I have the Carthaginian and the Republican sets, and they are also very good value for money.

I suspect they may just have moved up the paint queue, but I will wait and see, I normally play big battle rules for ancients, but the popularity of series' by Scarrow, Peake etc makes me think there might be more of a market than I realised.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 07:59:44 AM »
A plastic Warlord Roman Legionary may look noticeably small next to a Victrix one. I looked into the same thing when I had a few Warlord plastic sprues laying about but really liked the look of Victrix.

One from a review:

I suspect that the size difference would be less jarring between the non-Roman/less uniformed nations.

Also, I am much excited at the prospect of Ancient Skirmish rules from TFL!

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 12:39:51 PM »
Remember that the Warlord lines come from multiple sources.

The plastic Romans and Celts were there first ranges and IIRC the Romans were deliberately made smaller than the Celts because they were shorter in real life. At least that is what was put about at the time. The plastic Greeks came from Stephen May's range, the name of which eludes me, and then they acquired the Cutting Edge ancients.

When I compared the Warlord and Victrix Greeks I found the Victrix slightly larger - very noticeably in the helmets, IMO. The Warlord Spartans also have the shields sculpted onto the arms which was an issue as I often like to swap out the shields.

I bought some Cutting Edge ancients from Warlord in one of their summer sales and was surprised at how slight in build they were.

Offline Mark M Down

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 01:03:43 PM »
Here are some Warlord bodies with Victrix heads on them. The slings are from Gripping Beast.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 01:24:10 PM »
Remember that the Warlord lines come from multiple sources.

Indeed. I was careful to be specific about the Legionary plastics, although I suppose I shouldn't have assumed Lardy Rich's forces were Romans/Celts.

If I recall, the May sculpted Hoplites are quite small, possibly even smaller than the Romans!

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 01:47:18 PM »
No I don't think May's Greeks were smaller. I wish I could remember the company name - it's on the tip of my tongue. "Immortal Miniatures" - is that it? Anyway, I recall them being slim but not short and when I compared them with Victrix the thing I most remember was how large the Victrix heads were. The Immortal heads seemed small but the Victrix heads seemed large. We are talking Armoured Greek heads.

re. Warlord Romans, I think the Caesarian Romans might have been made larger than the originals but I can't confirm that 100%

re. Victrix - there was an issue with the horses ridden by some of the cavalry. Too small it appeared. Was that just wargamer ignorance about how large/small the horses (or ponies) actually were back in ancient time, or was it actually an issue?

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 01:55:57 PM »
The First boxes of Victrix Greek indeed they have larger sized heads, an issue fixed in the later sets.

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 04:26:15 PM »
Many thanks for those responses. That does tell me exactly what I want to know. I think I'll keep all of my Romans as Warlord but will branch out with Other nations.

The forces are Sharp Practice size so I'm keen to get a number of armies for my collection in addition to the variety of playtesting forces we already have.

Cheers

Rich.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2019, 05:13:03 PM »
Warlord Imperial Roman figures were sculpted to match the Perry Romans that Wargames Foundry sells.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2019, 05:13:18 PM »
My observation would be that the Victrix figures on the whole are head and shoulders above the competition. I suspect that once you start playing with Victrix you will probably be very tempted to replace your Warlord Romans, although those are by no means the worst plastics around.

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2019, 07:08:16 PM »
Shabharaz, funnily enough I rather like the Warlord Germans and Britons I have, but the Romans are less to my taste.  The Auxilia are fine, but the Legion are a bit odd in that they have a very cartoon like style.   But then my Auxilia are metal and my Legionaries are plastic and I do find with WWII that the Warlord plastics are more stylised. 

Gibby's picture above is a quite a shocking comparison.  The Victrix figures are in a different league. 

Why do I always discover these things when I am several hundred quid into a project...

Postscript:  I have just been to the Victrix site and am now crying into my cocoa.  I missed a trick there.  Their Romans are superb and their Gallic Warriors are amazing.  Bugger.

Thanks again. 

Rich
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 07:13:49 PM by Lardy Rich »

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2019, 07:50:07 PM »
Sorry, but hey, it happens to all of us, like me converting a plastic Warlord Pz IV for the CoC Blitzkrieg handbook, just before Rubicon released their early Pz IV.

Cheers

Doug