Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:10:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: An adventure module for PF2 - now completed and on DrivethruRPG  (Read 2325 times)

Online ced1106

• Mad Scientist
Re: An adventure module for Pathfinder 2 (pirate village)
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2019, 11:14:00 PM »
Would you need permission of the miniature manufacturer to use with your module?

Personally, as someone who's reviewed PDFs of modules on RPG.net, I don't have any use for art. It's pretty, but most RPG art is non-functional and just takes up space and printer ink. Some creators do put art as handouts or profile pictures, but an amazing number don't. Personally, I look for good layout (at the least, no widows and orphans, and put tables near the text that uses them, and realizing that some GM's cut up PDFs for various reasons (eg. to use sections as impromptu player aids). Do have a version for printing, and one for non-printing.
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2019, 06:05:08 AM »
Hmmm. Let's see... Many of them are from group packs (Town Folk, Adventurers, Thieves Guild) from Johnny Lauck's Mega Miniatures and the pirates are from Wargames Foundry.

But there are some old odds & ends in there. A wagon from some historical line purchased at GenCon IX (iirc).

And the scenery includes a few bits from Dwarven Forge, a kitbashed version of the Warhammer/Citadel Laketown house, two kitbashed house kits from Tabletop Basement, one fully scratchbuilt halftimbered house (all four with fully detailed interiors, that you can't see in the picture <g>), two scratchbuilt ships, one rowboat from the laketown house...

I hadn't thought about it before, but I suppose I need to list all those credits.

But seriously, *would* I need permission from the miniature manufacturers? I mean the primary reason why I decided to photograph minis from my own collection was to avoir using random pictures downloaded from Google. This self-publishing quest is becoming trickier than I'd imagined.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2019, 06:10:32 PM »
Generally, no.

Could someone raise a fuss?  Sure, and then you'd change up some pictures.  I have checked with a number of manufacturers when I've done stuff like this before - just to be sure.  But for a small time product that isn't going to be rivaling any industry giants it's a bit of a non-factor.

Legally, I'm not entirely sure.  You own the figure, it's your paint, etc.  Some companies are good at responding to this request, others are not.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Online ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 05:37:02 PM »
> But seriously, *would* I need permission from the miniature manufacturers?

My gut reaction is yes since they have rights to their own artwork, but I figure IANAL. If you plan to publish with a publisher, you could always ask what they think. You can self-publish on DriveThruRPG, and run this question past their customer service. I don't remember any RPG modules I reviewed that used photographs of miniatures. Some used royalty-free images to avoid costs. Of the miniatures photographed I have seen in game rules (miniature wargames), the miniatures belonged to or were associated with the publisher in some way.

As Elbows says, it's not always practical for small companies to enforce their rights. But I don't think that just because you can get away with something, you should. You could turn this into an opportunity by contacting manufacturers you like for permission and if they have any (free) product they could send to you to paint and show off in your work. (Throw some free publicity on LA while you're at it!)

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2019, 03:01:37 PM »
Thanks for your kind advice.
Of course I don't want to infringe on anybody's rights, especially people whose work I deeply respect, like Stefan Pokorny at Dwarven Forge, Johnny Lauck and his old Mega Miniatures line and the fine folks at Wargames Foundry. So I've taken your advice and written asking for permission prior to publication.

As long as I'm here posting about this, does anyone know offhand which sculptor did the Foundry Pirates and Swashbucklers line? I've included several figures from different packs, but this guy is from CUT-024 Bloody Bill's Butcher Boys.

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2019, 03:07:40 PM »
While I'm at it, many of the other figures I'm using are from three packs from Johnny Lauck's Mega Miniatures, Town Folk, Thieves Guild and Swords for Hire. I understand that all or nearly all of these figures came from Hobby Products Metal Magic Fantasy line before moving on to Mega Miniatures. Does anyone know the name of the scuptor(s) who did these fine vintage figures?

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
Re: An adventure module for PF2 - figure provenance request
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2019, 05:47:23 AM »
FWIW, I heard from Johnny Lauck and have contacted Midlam Miniatures and Turnkey Miniatures, who have the figures from the old Metal Magic Fantasy line (Town Folk, Thieves Guild and Swords for Hire). The quest for permission continues.

Midlam and Turnkey have most of the figures listed with the sculptor attributed.
Michael Immig is the original sculptor for some of these figures, like the innkeeper.
Josef Ochmann for others.

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
Re: An adventure module for PF2 - figure provenance request
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2019, 07:39:58 AM »
The quest for self-publishing is complete. I received photo permission from all of the manufacturers of the figures and terrain I used in the photos (except Games Workshop, who I understand rarely answer queries) and managed to get the thing up on DrivethruRPG. Many thanks to everybody who took the time to comment, and especially to mweaver and Orctrader who proposed miniature pics to fill in a gap I had.

Anyone who is interested in Pathfinder Second Edition can read about our first session on my blog, and if you'd like to give my 10-page tutorial adventure, "Pirates and Plunder, One Night at the Crooked Hand a whirl, you can find it on DrivethruRPG.

Our RPG group has really been enjoying our first sessions with Pathfinder Second Edition. Its predecessor was the direct successor to D&D 3.5, and maintained most of those rules while tweaking things here and there. Ten years later, PF2 is a completely different game. The core concepts are of course all the same, but their implementation has become far more intuitive and easy to manage, especially for new players. And, of course, painted figures and terrain make it that much more fun, as players try to turn the terrain to their advantage.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 07:45:50 AM by PhilB »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: An adventure module for PF2 - now completed and on DrivethruRPG
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2019, 08:20:37 AM »
sample file up on DTrpg looks very good.