Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:31:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690626
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vallejo Hobby Paint Spray Question  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Vallejo Hobby Paint Spray Question
« on: September 01, 2019, 09:31:14 PM »
In a recent search at the hobby store for some Testors rattle can colors (which I found out were discontinued now) I came across some large spray cans of Hobby Paint from Vallejo. One of the grey colors was perfect for my needs and a great substitute for Testors. The one thing I didn't notice, or thought to ask the store guy, was does Vallejo make dropper bottles of the same colors as their sprays? Y'know.... to brush fix mistakes.

Does anyone know?  ???

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Vallejo Hobby Paint Spray Question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 11:22:38 PM »
In a recent search at the hobby store for some Testors rattle can colors (which I found out were discontinued now) I came across some large spray cans of Hobby Paint from Vallejo. One of the grey colors was perfect for my needs and a great substitute for Testors. The one thing I didn't notice, or thought to ask the store guy, was does Vallejo make dropper bottles of the same colors as their sprays? Y'know.... to brush fix mistakes.

Does anyone know?  ???
I believe they are supposed to match their surface primers.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 10:57:02 AM »
I believe they are supposed to match their surface primers.

yes. This ^

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 03:40:01 PM »
Yup; same colours in the dropper bottle ranges :)

As an aside; even though it was ridiculously expensive when compared to cheap cans from Action, I can state without a doubt that the Vallejo White Spray paint I have (can is very nearly empty now) is the best spray paint I've ever used.

It may be bias/self fulfilling prophesy or some other ethereal reason, but to me it felt as if the paint was thinner, with smaller droplets being sprayed and covered better than most of the other cans I've tried (including GW, AP and many house brands)...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 05:12:45 PM »
Thanks for the input lads.

It may be bias/self fulfilling prophesy or some other ethereal reason, but to me it felt as if the paint was thinner, with smaller droplets being sprayed and covered better than most of the other cans I've tried (including GW, AP and many house brands)...

I agree 100%

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 04:07:22 AM »
I bought a can of the white as well and it is a very fine spray and does cover very well. I was impressed.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 06:33:12 PM »
I've just come to realize that the Vallejo rattle can colors and their dropper bottle colors are WAY off. I sprayed a test piece with the rattle can color Desert Yellow and then drybrushed it and was happy with the results. I did the brush on thing with a small figure base to test the dropper bottle color and the two were very different. Luckily, I discovered that GW's Balor Brown (old Snakebite Leather) was closer to the rattle can Desert Yellow than the bottle version.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 03:56:26 AM »
Was it spray primer vs bottled primer?

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 11:59:11 AM »
Earlier this year, I had the same issue between two dropper bottles, bought several years apart.

Vallejo Game Colour Filthy Brown used to be the perfect base for my skintones. But since most of my miniatures have just exposed hands and faces (if even that), one dropper bottle went a long, long way. But mine finally showed signs of becoming empty, so eventually I bought a new one.

But to my dismay, the paint in the new bottle was way, way off in colour! The old one was much less saturated, and a lot less yellow.

I posted about it here on the LAF, and I eventually contacted Vallejo customer service. They were really accommodating, but could not help me further.

They could tell me that a couple of years ago, they did a recipe change for their entire VGC range, and the difference stems from that. They offered to send me a replacement bottle, but that would be the new formula too, so would not help me one bit. Also; I wasn't in it for a free bottle of paint, and I respectfully declined.

But this might be the very issue you encountered here too; there may be a difference in tone due to your two paints being made with differing recipes...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 12:49:54 PM by Daeothar »

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2021, 07:06:49 PM »
@Cod: I used regular primer for both. This was more a matter of one test base with rattle can Vallejo Desert Yellow on one, and one dropper bottle of Vallejo Desert Yellow brushed on.

@Daeothar: Thanks for sharing that. It could very well be a recipe issue. The dropper bottle and the rattle can were bought a couple of years apart. That said, I found painting on some GW Balor Brown led me to a decent, almost perfect match with the Vallejo spray color.