Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:37:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Tong Gangs  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
28mm Tong Gangs
« on: September 16, 2019, 11:27:13 AM »
Played a test game of Mad Dogs with Guns using the only gangs we had at hand.. Tong. It was nice to get the terrain out for some fun narrative games. A few more pics here:
http://www.manapress.com.au/mad-dogs-with-tongs/

P9150543" border="0
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:32:25 AM by Freelancer »

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Re: 28mm Tong Gangs
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 12:04:31 PM »
Nice work guys! Nice looking board, fun sounding scenario, and my favorite minis of all time (Obelisk Tong) :-* :-*
Lon
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 06:59:42 PM »
Loverly jubbly me old China!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 10:18:30 PM »
Was a great looking table - really had great texture and depth (well, height). Photos could be a little bigger? (I know you can click on them.)

And look forward to all the gangsters being painted up.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 01:27:03 AM »
Please to tell us more detail about the rules.  And very nice looking.

I like Whitehouse's general approach but the rules I have of his, Astounding Tales, that might be a forerunner of these ramble on and around too much for my tastes.  Are these 'cleaner' and more focused, assuming you know the earlier rules? 

I ask because I have a solid supply of gangsters, vehicles, and buildings to get painted and assembled at some point but need to decide on rules.  Don't want too detailed skirmish level rules, just want fun and fast rules that can handle quite a few figures, several dozen at least (though mostly background players [that would be 'extras' to most of you]).

Your photos look good. 

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 05:57:27 AM »
I haven't played it, but I know Astounding Tales uses a similar mechanic. I understand Mad Dogs has been adjusted to take out the Pulp hero factor and make combat more balanced. I like the activation system (whole gang or maybe just a single model, or civilians ). As I mentioned in the blog, close combat with deadly weapons was brutal, with a lot of casualties (as you would expect with swords and axes). Brawling combat is better for narrative games as models are knocked down or out, rather than killed. I liked the blazing away rule with guns that mainly keeps your opponent's heads down (I read an account where Bonny (of & Clyde fame) kept police pinned with this tactic and her BAR)
Basically it works well if you like simple narrative games, rather than detailed tournament games. The layout of a few rules is a bit vague (like reloading after running out of ammo), but we mainly house rule that sort of thing anyway.

Offline Lord Blackheart

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 08:55:19 AM »
Great looking table setup. :)