Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:07:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Questions about miniatures manufacturing  (Read 1365 times)

Offline EssarD

• Assistant
Questions about miniatures manufacturing
« on: October 09, 2019, 11:28:53 AM »
I've come across a spin casting machine that's for sale (a Cabe) and am wondering if this might be something worth investing in. But I know nothing about manufacturing miniatures, apart from the very basic process. I've noticed quite a few small manufacturers post on these boards, so I'm hoping someone wouldn't mind answering some questions about it!

- Once you have the master mold, how long does it take for a spin caster to make a miniature? Like, from when you pour the metal in, to when you pop them out of the mold?

- How much does it cost (on avergae) for a licence to manufacture miniatures from another company? I'm based in Australia, and know there are a few local companies that manufacture miniatures under licence from UK/US/Europe companies.

- What's the most expensive part of the process? The initial outlay for the machine? The molds? The metal?

- Do you think it's possible to fit small scale manufacturing around a full-time job, and for it to also be profitable?

Thanks! :)

Offline Jay Adan

• Assistant
  • Gaming since the 70's
    • jayadan.com
Re: Questions about miniatures manufacturing
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 11:46:32 AM »
I can answer the first question. It's very fast. You pour, and when you're done pouring the process is complete. You now open the mold, pull the minis, and start again.

Offline EssarD

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 12:19:44 PM »
Good to know! Thank you!

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 01:51:30 PM »
Regarding time for casting to be complete. Usually, you’ll take the mould out of the machine when the spin cycle stops, put another mould in and pour the metal into it. Then, whilst the second mould is spinning, open the first one. And keep repeating the process.

Moulds are (relatively) expensive if you are not making your own. Metal is a biggish outlay initially but you price your figures accordingly. Is the machine expensive? Well, that does depend on how much you pay for it. Not being funny. A new machine is obviously a lot more expensive than a well-used secondhand one,

Doug

Offline EssarD

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 11:18:28 PM »
Regarding time for casting to be complete. Usually, you’ll take the mould out of the machine when the spin cycle stops, put another mould in and pour the metal into it. Then, whilst the second mould is spinning, open the first one. And keep repeating the process.

Ok, sounds like it's a pretty quick process. I'm guessing there are other parts of the process that are time consuming though, like maybe cleaning up the models, organising and packaging them up.

Moulds are (relatively) expensive if you are not making your own. Metal is a biggish outlay initially but you price your figures accordingly. Is the machine expensive? Well, that does depend on how much you pay for it. Not being funny. A new machine is obviously a lot more expensive than a well-used secondhand one,

It's a second hand machine, a Cabe c400 (I think). Price is $5800 AUD, which also includes a few other things like gas bottle, burner, iron pot and ladle, etc. I have no idea if this is a good price or not. And there's an option to buy a number of moulds as well of various historical models.

Offline Jay Adan

• Assistant
  • Gaming since the 70's
    • jayadan.com
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 02:37:34 AM »
The real trick to the whole process is making a good mold. The mold makers are the unsung heroes of the hobby.

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 10:14:25 AM »
I am not familiar with the machine - is it a compressor or a bob weight machine?  Compressors are much easier to operate without having to fiddle settings.

A second hand compressor in the UK would be around £4-6k, a bob-weight up to £1.5k

You say there are various moulds - is this a proper range of figures?  Does the person selling them have the rights to do so?  it is worth checking.

Mike
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline EssarD

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 11:22:40 PM »
I am not familiar with the machine - is it a compressor or a bob weight machine?  Compressors are much easier to operate without having to fiddle settings.

I'm not sure - probably compressor?. It's this one, though a slightly older model I think: https://www.cabemilano.com/index.php/en/spin-casting/centrifughe-manuali/item/11-c400-plc

You say there are various moulds - is this a proper range of figures?  Does the person selling them have the rights to do so?  it is worth checking.

Yes and yes. Says he can transfer the licences if I want to buy the moulds.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 03:04:10 AM »
Most expensive bits of the process? At a guess, the vulcanised rubber molds, which need to be imported and the costs of commissioning a sculptor. Assign your own labour costs to the process of cutting the molds and operating the caster. Best person to ask if you are in Oz is Nic Robson at Eureka Miniatures. He knows what he is talking about.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo