Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:19:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm French Foreign Legion Game  (Read 1837 times)

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
15mm French Foreign Legion Game
« on: September 04, 2019, 01:49:35 AM »
The urge struck so I’ve set up a small solo French Foreign Legion game.  The inspiration came from re-reading Martin Windrow’s excellent, “Our Friends Beneath the Sands, The Foreign Legion in France’s Colonial Conquests 1870-1935.”  A resupply column emerges from a pass in sight of it’s destination.  What could go wrong?

Hail to the King, baby.

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
Re: 15mm French Foreign Legion Game
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 01:51:51 AM »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 06:12:46 AM »
Nice.  I have some FFL figures that need plenty of more work - all in glorious 15 mm!

Big question: where is the fort from?  I don't recognize it at all.

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 01:22:30 AM »
The fort is an old JR Miniatures model.  Nearly all the figures are Stone Mountain 15’s with the exception of a few of the camels, some of which are Gallia.  The cloth is from Cigar Box, the oasis, three rocky hills and dune are all Battlefields in a Box from FoW.  The pass is homemade.

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 02:43:18 AM »
Finally concluded the game and it was a hard fought victory for the Legion.  As the resupply column debouched from the pass two units of tribesmen appeared with the intention of intercepting the booty laden camels. A few Legionnaires were detached to continue accompanying the supply camels while the remainder formed into line and delivered effective fire against their attackers. It didn't take long for the fort's 75mm field piece to find the range, badly punishing one of the Arab units:

https://flic.kr/p/2hdfzoi

Soon, other Arab units appeared (random die roll). The two companies guarding the resupply column found themselves facing attack from two sides:

https://flic.kr/p/2hdfzpR

It became a very bloody brawl, with the Legion taking it on the chin in several melees. A mounted Arab unit succeeded in reaching the supply camels (one of their goals; the other inflicting casualties on the Legion) but was unable to successfully make off with them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21667793@N06/shares/7ouG5D

Although the Legion companies suffered serious casualties in melee their morale remained high, despite losing two officers. The Arabs, on the other hand, did very well in hand-to-hand combat but generally routed at their first morale check. In the end, the Arabs managed to cut out only one supply camel but suffered tremendous losses. The Legion, while also suffering serious casualties, succeeded in delivering the supplies while inflicting crippling losses on the Arab harka. Never again would this Emir be able to raise a large force to challenge French rule.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21667793@N06/shares/PmqWGL

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 03:40:11 AM »
Nice little game. I also agree, cool looking fort.

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 03:16:02 AM »
Looks like fun.  Which rules did you use?   :)
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 01:54:21 PM »
Ragbones, might I interest you in starting a simple Google blog.  It's pretty easy to do.  Reason for the suggestion is it will provide a better way to display your photos of your work - and allow some editorial to go along with the photos.  I think a lot of us would like that and you might find it a nice place to go back to over time to review your thoughts and your photos.  Just a thought.

Looks like Stone Mountain Miniatures is well represented.  Other manufacturers in your collection?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 05:54:25 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 04:00:54 PM »
DoctorPete, I used a set of rules called, ‘Sand and Blood,’ created by Tim Wright for the games he runs at HMGS-East conventions (Historicon, Cold Wars and Fall In).  They’re inspired by TSATF but streamlined to give the kind of fun, fast moving game needed at a convention.

FifteensAway, I thought about a blog but honestly I’m intimidated by the technical challenges.  I currently have only an iPad with which to work and I’m not ‘digitally’ oriented.  ;) Not to mention I don’t think many people would be interested in my collection or games.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 04:13:06 PM »
As a fellow struggler with things technical, I sympathize with your hesitation on starting a blog. I dream about it all the time, but the thing daunts me! Anyhow, your game looks splendid, as always, Ragbones. I still treasure my copy of S&B that you sent me some years ago - a cracking little set of rules!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 06:30:32 AM »
Well, an iPad would be a bit of a challenge.  But it is nearly as daunting as it seems using the Google blog tools.  If I can do it, I expect you can, too.  As to numbers, I would have been happy if my various and sundry blogs and posts accumulated 5,000 total hits.  I'm way beyond ten times that number.  You just never know.  But do be sure you can post photos because that's what people want way more than they want typed words.  Way, way more.

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 02:08:34 PM »
As a fellow struggler with things technical, I sympathize with your hesitation on starting a blog. I dream about it all the time, but the thing daunts me! Anyhow, your game looks splendid, as always, Ragbones. I still treasure my copy of S&B that you sent me some years ago - a cracking little set of rules!

Arundel, I fear I forgot to include copies of the artillery casualty circle and machine gun cone! I just sent a copy of the rules to someone else and suddenly realized I probably forgot the circle and cone when I sent yours.  PM me your address and I can send copies of them to you.  I’m so sorry.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 02:42:39 PM »
PM sent. Many, many thanks!   :)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 10:36:28 AM »
very nice looking stuff
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 02:39:00 AM »
Thanks, Smokey.