Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:29:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 3D printed moduler hills  (Read 1114 times)

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
3D printed moduler hills
« on: August 30, 2019, 04:28:20 PM »
Finished printing and flocking my first hill. Hills are from https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2736851 and could be left as modules but looks better all glued and flocked together.
Flock is from my favorite company https://hugeminis.com

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Re: 3D printed moduler hills
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 04:51:19 PM »
Interesting, nicely done, and thanks for sharing the link  :)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 10:31:19 PM »
Interesting but imo it's like using an atomic bomb to kill a fly  :D

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 06:32:41 AM »
Interesting but imo it's like using an atomic bomb to kill a fly  :D

Yes and no. It seems like overkill, but the repeatability of a 3D printer means you get a lot of different hill combinations without a lot of pain

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 03:37:41 PM »
For me the printer is a significant time advantage. The amount of weekly hobby time I have around work and family is very minimal. I can let things print while I'm at work or with family and dedicate my hobby time to painting.  Additionally, being printed in plastic, they are significantly more durable then foam hills and nearly as light.

Offline waco joe

• Student
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 03:47:47 PM »
The way I always describe it is that I can load the file in the printer, and side by side place a piece of foam and the carving tools.  Then I start the printer and go to bed.  The next morning I compare results.  The printer has beat the lazy no show terrain fairies 10 out 10 times.  lol
E pur si muove

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 06:58:26 PM »
Looks really nice.  And will fit in nicely on all battlefields carefully groomed with laser precision.  Many battles on golf courses?

I get the advantages - though I wonder at the total end cost - but looks way too man made for me.  Even wedding cake hills, when well done, have a sense of believability that hill lacks.  And then the slopes cause me to wonder at the playability.

I'll stick to my home made plywood hills - durable as all get out. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 02:52:58 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 07:29:00 PM »
I agree that they are not perfect and this was my first one. I might add some more texture to it so it looks less "golf course". The files do include some with rock clips and outcroppings but have not had time to paint them (out of town). Since I'm in the military and move every few years I need light and durable terrain.

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 07:28:30 PM »
I printed up some of Terrain-4-Print hills as well, but I used his cliff packs because , yeah the smooth hills are pretty darned bland.  The cliffs look great after some painting (rattle can truck bed liner and some coffee grounds do a good job of hiding the print lines).  They compare pretty nicely to the polystyrene plastic hills that GW put out maybe a decade back.

And I'm with Waco Joe on the terrain fairies.  Those little snots have been letting me down for years.  There's nothing more satisfying than walking away from an empty printer and coming home to an (almost) ready made piece of terrain.  I still love scatch-building and the results it gives but those days are three kids gone.