Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:10:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Contrast Painting  (Read 2135 times)

Offline markw

• Librarian
Contrast Painting
« on: September 04, 2019, 08:57:35 AM »
Hi everyone,

Having looked at numuerous YouTube videos on the quickness of using GWs constrast Paints. I thought I would ask the questin has anyone started using them yet to paint their minis?

If yes then it would be great to get some feed back on them.

Cheers

Mark

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Contrast Painting
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 10:16:54 AM »
I've used them quite a bit and really like them. There's quite a bit of discussion of them (and examples of use) on my fantasy thread, from this post on.

More recently, I've been experimenting with using them over black undercoats (with grey and white drybrushing). I wrote a blog post about that here.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 11:01:18 AM »
Using them on some medievals, mainly well-thinned over a base colour.  Like them on horses, still not sure about how the figures are turning out but still learning/experimenting.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=9q1pk922cn93lqeq9as5sklo96&topic=118786.0

The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 01:31:08 PM »
Thanks Hobgoblin, that was useful. 

Has anyone tried them on 6mm models?  I imagine it could make painting that scale pretty fast, but I do not know.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 03:50:57 PM »

Has anyone tried them on 6mm models?  I imagine it could make painting that scale pretty fast, but I do not know.

Yep, experimentation on (historical) smaller scale models is something I'd like to see too.
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 06:09:28 AM »
I rather like them. It makes painting miniatures rather quicker. I am still experimenting with different base coats though: here are two different examples of historical 28mm figures:

In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline markw

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 08:27:38 AM »
Thanks, everyone for your feedback on this subject. I will post some of my testing modules over the weekend.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 04:55:38 PM »
I've used them quite a bit and really like them. There's quite a bit of discussion of them (and examples of use) on my fantasy thread, from this post on.

More recently, I've been experimenting with using them over black undercoats (with grey and white drybrushing). I wrote a blog post about that here.

That’s a great link - thank you. I like them.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 09:53:34 AM »
see here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=118787.0

I really like Contrast for speeding up almost EVERY paint job.
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 01:55:54 PM »
Been hearing about this paint so just visited the website for GW and discovered this paint retails at $7.80 (US) for 6/10ths of an ounce.  For that kind of price I expect the paint to apply itself with master craftsmen precision.  I pay less than 25 cents (US) for an equivalent quantity of paint so that makes this paint more than 34 times more expensive than what I currently use.  That's outrageous for what at first glance appears to be nothing more than a pre-made wash which is easy enough to create yourself with water based paint. 

Whatever happened to the three base painting techniques - apply paint, use a wash, and dry brush?  Easy techniques to learn.  And give really good results. 

From what I've seen of this paint through photos, the results just don't justify the expense.  Enjoy if you like it but there are far less expensive options.  Heck, for that price for the paint you can get Fernando painting service going and probably get a better end result.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 02:03:03 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 07:11:58 PM »
I don't think the price is necessarily a barrier for me. I mean, I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I actually have less time than money at the moment. Maybe a few hours per week... if I can paint up twice as many miniatures, then that would be great!

That being said, I'm not really playing anything at the moment, and so all of my work is essentially competition-level quality. Is it worth it picking up these paints for those kinds of projects? Or is it the same amount of work as normal paints in that case?

Thanks
n

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 06:27:30 AM »
Neldoreth, I would say it speeds up getting down the base layers, the rest will be as usual.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 06:36:11 AM »

I've only tried them on 6mm Sci fi stuff but it does work really well.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 03:36:03 PM »
Being a notoriously slow painter I was also keen to see how these worked. Wanting to paint some Mantic ghouls quickly I dived in and purchased a tin of the Wraithbone off white primer and three pots of the contrast paint.

I cracked out six ghouls in a day, which is a record for me, (I might only manage three figures using my normal three layers approach in a similar timescale).

They took some getting used to and I think given time I could speed up the process, especially if I really wanted to bash out lots of figures quickly.

Not surprisingly the results are of a very different style, which on reflection  I am not so keen on. I am glad I tried them and might revisit if I am wanting to do something on masse, but will stick with my old technique.

Despite people complaining about the price (especially when they haven't even tried them ::)) I think they are worth having a go at and you can get some impressive results seen here on the forum and elsewhere on the net. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing