Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:38:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686502
  • Total Topics: 118105
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Spoils (Terrain Project)  (Read 7594 times)

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
Re: The Spoils (Terrain Project)
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2019, 09:56:59 PM »
I got so involved in replying to comments that I hadforgot to post some more pics. Trust you find these interesting.

https://youtu.be/pKXAzd49I8w

https://youtu.be/RPzRhxBGNl0

https://youtu.be/0LTo9IXBMoE
I especially like this piece. Makes me sick imagine cultist or scavenger tent. 

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 02:40:44 AM by bermanj »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2019, 03:47:49 PM »
Interesting. I was mostly picturing your wet world as a sea of endless puddles. Perhaps there is far deeper water in the near future? WHole tile sets of water with garbage floating around in it? That would be cool.

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2019, 02:07:08 AM »
I like the sound of that.  I had always imagined it was a tidal situation - the Sump oozes or flows onto the dump creating ponds, pools etc. But there is room for a proper sump sea/ocean as well.

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2019, 02:48:05 AM »
So I have made some good progress on my big sump ship, with four hold sections built and largely painted, both the interior and exterior/hulls.

https://youtu.be/d2TDpNs4xgc

The bow is being tackled afresh, however I really like the curve that I've been able to achieve - don't want to lose that!

https://youtu.be/7aSQ6gTaLWQ

Presently I am working on the superstructure /bridge.  I'll share once I get a video of the same.

Offline Samsonov

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2019, 03:37:13 AM »
That technique for creating the basic tiles could actually be adapted to make quick and convincing cave floors.

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2019, 11:20:36 AM »
That technique for creating the basic tiles could actually be adapted to make quick and convincing cave floors.

I think you're right.  Cave systems are woefully underutilised in the grimdark far future of gaming.  Do it!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2019, 01:41:24 PM »
That is an interesting point, Bermanj. I mean, I am working on a set of space ships with playable interiors and swappable parts to simulate something like a futuristic dungeon crawl, I never actually considered doing a dungeon/caves.

Post apoc stuff is typically riddles with subways, vaults, bunkers and the sort. No lack of underground gaming there.

Offline Samsonov

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2019, 05:43:10 PM »
I was thinking caves for starship troopers (I think bugs usually create their own caves but I suppose they would not pass up using an existing network), maybe some AvP and for fantasy dungeon crawl. Futuristic cave tiles would be great (I seem to remember there was a space hulk story where the terminators were going through caves hunting genestealers). Will report back if I get around to making any caves. Also, this technique might work for rock faces more generally. Need to find some of that type of cardboard.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2019, 06:32:17 PM »
Are the hull panels painted on?

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2019, 06:52:43 PM »
There is some cracking stuff going on in this thread.
 8) 8)

I shall be following with interest.
 :)

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2019, 01:42:47 AM »
Are the hull panels painted on?

I painted them on card and mounted them onto the frame... here's a blog post link that tells all:
https://southernbermanblog.blogspot.com/2019/11/sump-empress-terrain-part-4.html

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2019, 10:17:33 AM »
Regarding the cave references,  I did try making some garbage piles that were particularly tall - I had an image of an almost trench-like network amongst the refuse. They didn't turn out too bad BUT tended to be too broad.  Yeah, I think if you wanted to make a cave-like network, then I suggest you'd be best tackling it as a dedicated project in its own right.

That being said, whilst I have been making the hull/hold sections for my ship, it did occur to me that the same basic technique could be used to create a warren-style dungeon-crawl board.  Presently all those hull pieces are intended to be placed in a straight-line sequence.  Creating some that are L-shaped (i.e. opening at 12 and 3 O'clock) instead of the standard straights (i.e. 12 and 6 O'clock) would be easy, as would making a T-section (i.e. 3, 6 and 9 O'clock).  I play Space Hulk and I can see some parallels in the design thinking...

I might file that one away for a later day.  Many people have made modular boards with that sort of configuration in mind, however I don't recall seeing anything that was on the smaller end of the scale e.g., my "boxes" footprints are merely 5.5-inches square.  That sort of scale wouldn't be well suited for many 28mm games, but I was considering using Rogue Planet for my eventual shipboard games - given it doesn't measure moves the scale is largely irrelevant.

Thanks for the ideas!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 10:30:01 AM by bermanj »

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2019, 10:36:49 AM »
I hit a bit of a time barrier as of late.  With Christmas fast approaching and all the associated family obligations etc., time is at a premium.  Alas, my big ship has been put on hold for the moment - I'm hoping to get back to it again early next year.

In the meantime, I pulled out the complementary 'dock' and invested some time in tackling it a tad more.  It's paying-off handsomely, and I'm getting a real good vibe - I can see it making for a suitably varied and intricate gameboard.  This picture will give you a sense as to where it's going:

I've just about made enough pure dock elements - there are a few complimentary pieces I'd like to explore, but they'd be the icing on the sumpy cake.  Some of the individual pieces came out very nicely...

That last piece is threaded through wire meaning I can make it look/act like a suspended bridge - a nice touch to the board.

The actual board proper came together very quickly, and the illusion of depth I had achieved (not evident in the above pictures, they were pre-pour) was great* - I was delighted:

https://youtu.be/V3-zBlJgjSs

* "...was great" being the operative - in the space of 24 hours the pour condensed/shrunk by ~50% which was heartbreaking!  Just today I've tried topping it up with another pour (this time using a 2-part resin) - hopefully it works, and the shrinkage is <1% as advertised this time around!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2019, 01:52:13 PM »
Threading your popsicle sticks through that wire the way you did was pretty ingenious. One of those *head slap* "Now, why didn't I think of that?!" types of moments.

Great stuff all the way around.

So what, if anything, on the docks board is permanent? Nothing? Some of the sections? I can sort of correlate some of your bridge sections to pieces above, but maybe some of those sections permanently have the cork piles on them?

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2019, 10:06:21 PM »
So what, if anything, on the docks board is permanent? Nothing? Some of the sections? I can sort of correlate some of your bridge sections to pieces above, but maybe some of those sections permanently have the cork piles on them?

But for the banks on two sides of the board, nothing is/will be stuck down.  I have my big ship still in progress + a few other ideas, so the more freedom I have, the better!

A few of the boardwalks(?) have cork piles attached with glue. Maybe half of them at least presently don't.  I've got heaps of corks so despite my initial plan to magnetise the world, I've no real need to do so but for ease of storage.

I was impressed by the grip of the N50 magnet through the polyethylene onto the board.  My concerns that the cork pylons were prone to shifting were unfounded.  What I have done on a few pylons was magnetise the bottom, put a ferrous screw in the top, and then use another magnet (just loose) to connect the top of the pylon with the underside of the boardwalk.  I simply glued some washers on the underside of the boardwalks especially for that purpose.

I've got some large tool boxes that I intend to use for storing the on-board terrain pieces, so I may end up disassembling some pieces to make them more readily packed.