Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:51:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: More of my Sculpts  (Read 892 times)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
More of my Sculpts
« on: September 04, 2019, 01:01:43 PM »
Getting around to taking pictures of a few more of these sculpts. These have mostly been practice pieces to improve myself, though ideally I'm hoping to get into doing this professionally. :)

The figures are sculpted from Procreate with a bit of Liquid Green Stuff to smooth some surfaces. So far the male figures are around 30mm and the female 28mm armatures. With a bit of plasticard or wire for what's in their hands.

French / Indian War Militiamen

I feel his gun needs a bit more work - probably adding some decorative trim around the bands holding the cloth wrap on, and a little bit of string on the wrap as well (for tightening it).

Battle Sister Mistress

Because, well, 40K. With her there's one more detail I'd like to add - a rosary around her waist. Unfortunately I have no idea how to sculpt beads. I can't get my head around how to sculpt that many little spheres, nor find a tutorial online either (though its rather specific). Otherwise this has been my first proper attempt at sculpting a female figure head to toe from scratch, and I don't think she's too bad. :)

Elsewhere I do have a handful more "completed" sculpts. Which is to say that I finished them a while ago and want to go back to fix things. Otherwise there's always more on the go in various states of completeness. I find that I'll manage half the work on the first day of working on a figure then spend ages doing the rest. I suppose in part as you're just laying down the ground works before having to refine them.

Oh, and as I'm starting a more concise thread for these - here's the Ahmad Shah Massoud (Afghan Northern Alliance Leader pre-9/11) sculpt I posted earlier too.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
Re: More of my Sculpts
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 09:29:47 PM »
Im a noob myself in sculpting, but i can see that you are going towards the right direction. I would suggest working in polymer putty instead of epoxy. In that way you wont have to fight with time while learning how to do stuff.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 04:03:08 AM »
I am impressed with your variety in subject matter.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 08:58:04 PM »
With how I work I prefer to do a little bit at a time, rather than larger areas. Which is consistent with Procreate - which has a working time of about 25 minutes. If I'm outside of my house having to cure the sculpt in an oven would be impossible (I soon learned to carry the figures in secure containers to prevent unnecessary smudging). With the short working time you can focus on a set area without over extending yourself, and if you finish it quicker than expected, or as it dries, can just work on a second figure in the mean time. ...At least that's my arguments. :)

Um, as for the variety. Yeah, its helping. Better to try out a load of things you know. Speaking of which, here's two more sculpts off the shelf.

Vietnam Navy SEAL

If you look at the Cold War board here Vietnam's the in thing. I actually started this guy way back in January, before most of those threads were started, so call it a coincidence. He's armed with a captured Chinese AK and webbing - as they could punch through the jungle / be less identifiable to the enemy. Along with alocally produced South Vietnamese uniform.

Frontiersman

Declan Harp from the Tv series Frontier. Almost done - sans his axe heads and a few knives poking out of his trench coat. His nose has been a right pain to replicate properly, and its still not quite there.

I have a few more of these still to show (maybe a dozen) ...yes with the same amount of variety. They're just not all in a finished state, but I'll post them as they're done. :)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 09:29:06 PM »
I mainly use beesputty triple firm. It has a wax like property. When you knead it its super soft and malleable but if you leave it alone for an hour it becomes firm. Its so firm  that even if you knock over the mini it will probably be completely ok. Im sticking the armature in a barrel cork and when im done for the day, im using amall jars to keep the sculpt safe from access dents and mainly dust. Im turning the jar  upside down stick the cork on the lid with aomr bluetack and its completely safe. You can easily throw it in a box and carrie it around without worrying.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 01:38:43 PM »
I do the same thing for storage. Most of the figures are sculpted on a cork which I then stick inside a cheap salt shaker. The holes in the shaker's top let you stick some pins through it to hold the figure in place, which can then just be put in a pocket when your out somewhere.

Its not always the case though that the corks work. By that I mean the armatures that I use have a tendency to break in the thinner areas (like their feet) before you can get around to reinforcing them with clay. And once they're broken they'll just break again if you try and fix them without sculpting that whole piece. So I have a few sculpts right now missing heads or a foot. ...And its the heads which is probably the most annoying thing - as you have to then sculpt those separately from the model (which I guess is what a load of people do anyway).