Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:37:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690581
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 728
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 704
Total: 709

Recent

Author Topic: Venetian Uskoks in Italian Wars?  (Read 866 times)

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
Venetian Uskoks in Italian Wars?
« on: September 04, 2019, 10:16:54 PM »
Ayy evidence of the Venetians using Dalmatian arquebusiers in the Italian Wars?   I know there is evidence of them using balkan bow early in the period but I haven't heard of the use of the Uskoks (basically Venetian Grenzers before the Habsburg Militargrenz) in Italy.

Jim

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Venetian Uskoks in Italian Wars?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 02:49:53 AM »
I have never heard of the Uskoks before. Looking forward to seeing if any one replies.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 08:12:24 AM »
Ayy evidence of the Venetians using Dalmatian arquebusiers in the Italian Wars?   I know there is evidence of them using balkan bow early in the period but I haven't heard of the use of the Uskoks (basically Venetian Grenzers before the Habsburg Militargrenz) in Italy.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Do you have specific dates for their proposed use?

Kind Regards

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 06:14:25 PM »
Do you have specific dates for their proposed use?

No, I am aware they were uased by the Venetians in Dalmatia agasint the Turks, and in Istria against (and occassionally for) the Imperalists in the late 15th century though to the early 17th century, and eventually passed over to Imperialist control in the later 17th century.  I came across the reference as part of helping my wife with a Dalmatian geneological search and then found a few articles on them and their later permutation the grenz (search under Gunther Rothenburg for the articles). 

I did not find any specific reference for thier use in Italy by the Venetians, but always being on the look out for troops with a little "character" wondered if anyone had heard of their use in the Italian wars.

Little early for the use of "commanded shot" but a couple units mixed in with some Stradiots would make a colourful flank guard for the serene republics army.

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 09:25:46 AM »
What part of Italia Wars are you thinking of? The earliest and the most reliable info about the Uskoks are from late 1520 - early 1530s when they were under the command of Petar Kruzic.
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com