Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:04:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: I done did decided: Town Names  (Read 1134 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
I done did decided: Town Names
« on: September 05, 2019, 05:43:49 AM »
So, Anachronism has been long set, the last stop of finer civilization, so to speak, it may be still rather rough around the edges.  The town the drovers drive their cattle to - and where law and order can sometimes be a bit scarce for a few minutes.

Alkali Wells was an easy choice for my southwest town.

But I've hemmed and hawed about Cedar Creek and decided it wasn't going to work for me (wasn't their an ACW battle with such a name?).  Thus I've been casting about and now I've settled on Lodgepole Creek as the name for my out-on-the-plains little bit of a rail boom town.  It helps that their is a real lodgepole Creek and it does cross into the right states to suit me.

Naturally, the cavalry fort has to be named Fort Courage.  The finer sort of you lot will know why.  lol
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 09:43:56 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline princeman

• Librarian
Re: I done did decided: Town Names
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 04:38:02 PM »
Good name! Do 'F' Troop proud.
A man aughta do what he thinks is best.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 09:55:31 AM »
I think the ACW battle was Cedar Mountain, but no doubt Cedar Creek flows from Cedar Mountain, which is in the Shenandoah valley, so on the wrong side of the continent.
I ended up calling my Wild West town Largo as a tribute to High Plains Drifter, although I have yet to paint it red  >:D

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 02:00:37 PM »
Hmm, I went out and wiki-oogled both names, Cedar Creek and Cedar Mountain and it seems there was one of each, a battle that is.

Another reason for Lodgepole Creek is that there were lots of lodgepole pines in the broad area of much of the Sioux War of 1876.

By the way, I hereby take full credit for inventing the term wiki-ogled (and I don't care if it was done earlier, I'm still taking credit!  ;D)

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 06:24:56 PM »
I tend to end up with variants of Pennsylvania Dutch frontier towns named Scheißeburg...
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 01:17:05 AM »
Froggy, does your mother know you talk that way?!  :o

I had a brain storm today - or maybe it was just a hiccup - but I've come up with a great name (humble, ain't I?) for my Robber's Roost.  Anyone who knows Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid will also know about the Hole in the Wall Gang.

Well, I'm dubbing my little place of refuge for those who operate south of the law as Cognito Canyon.  Works for me.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 01:50:30 AM by FifteensAway »