Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:21:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689633
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm ECW...on a whim.  (Read 700 times)

Offline tuco74

• Librarian
15mm ECW...on a whim.
« on: September 05, 2019, 11:08:56 AM »
OK, so I've just ordered a couple of Peter Pig 15mm (1 infantry and 1 cavalry) on something of a whim.
I've never painted 15mm before...would 8 infantry on a 40x40 base and 4 cavalry on the same be a reasonably generic solution?
Also, I know little about the ECW...can anybody recommend some generic paint schemes for infantry/cavalry that will work for either side if I decide I want to expand on this project.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Radar

• Librarian
    • KeepYourPowderDry
Re: 15mm ECW...on a whim.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 08:07:07 PM »
Might I humbly suggest https://www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk/2018/06/what-colours-to-use.html for a guide to colours? I have tried to link to gather lots of links, references to paintings/items in museums and I've recently added colour swatches (for want of a better word) of colours available in the C17th, courtesy of a re-enactor.

Good thing about ECW is that uniforms were pretty generic. You can't really go wrong with a red coated or blue coated regiment for either side.

My blog is devoted to gaming the ECW in 15mm using PP figures. If nothing else you can laugh and point at my painting and say "I can do much better than those". The sculpts lend themselves very nicely to having a wash applied. There are some absolutely brilliant painted examples over on the Pendraken forum, in the not Pendraken bit.

Basing - what would I know, I base somewhat esoterically. 40x40 for 8 foot would physically fit (I base 4 foot on 40x15); horse might be a bit of a push physically fitting them in the space, mine are 4 horse on 60x30.
www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk gaming the British Civil Wars in 15mm, and home of the ECW travelogue - dreadful painting, mediocre prose

Offline tuco74

• Librarian
Re: 15mm ECW...on a whim.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 08:37:08 AM »
Might I humbly suggest https://www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk/2018/06/what-colours-to-use.html for a guide to colours? I have tried to link to gather lots of links, references to paintings/items in museums and I've recently added colour swatches (for want of a better word) of colours available in the C17th, courtesy of a re-enactor.

Good thing about ECW is that uniforms were pretty generic. You can't really go wrong with a red coated or blue coated regiment for either side.

My blog is devoted to gaming the ECW in 15mm using PP figures. If nothing else you can laugh and point at my painting and say "I can do much better than those". The sculpts lend themselves very nicely to having a wash applied. There are some absolutely brilliant painted examples over on the Pendraken forum, in the not Pendraken bit.

Basing - what would I know, I base somewhat esoterically. 40x40 for 8 foot would physically fit (I base 4 foot on 40x15); horse might be a bit of a push physically fitting them in the space, mine are 4 horse on 60x30.

Thanks very much that's enormously useful. I'll have a read of your blog instead of doing my actual job today.