Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:01:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A quick layout dry run.( tsg's WW2 thread)  (Read 67198 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Tin sheds Homefront & ww2.( a hint of 2021)
« Reply #285 on: December 16, 2020, 01:18:42 PM »
Now there's a quite the back log of unreleased stuff.( which I'm banned from mentioning because the Lads get bombarded with emails when I do. lol)
In fact there's so much done I'll be building and painting for fun  adding to my own table when ever I feel like it. :D
I may even tempt fate and say I'll have time for a game.
So just for my own amusement (and their probable dispair) he's a hint of some of the reference info. I need to catch up with painting for the new year.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #286 on: December 16, 2020, 09:54:01 PM »
My grandad was home guard and I love the idea of doing a little home front gaming.  Of special note, when I was a nipper, the guy who owned the farm down in Kent where he lived and worked (and I lived for a while with my grandparents) used to do up WW2 vehicles.  I remember a few of the guys from the farm along with grandad and me bombing along Shottenden lane in a universal carrier!  The carrier with the civilians in it would be a great piece to denote my grandad who shared a few tall tales with me.

I recall a large crack across their bedroom ceiling, the cause been a falling German bomb....often dropped over Kent on their return from other targets, especially if they hadn’t been able to drop on target.

I will stop rambling...but me thinks I may dabble....

Offline Ewart

• Assistant
« Reply #287 on: December 17, 2020, 02:06:32 PM »
Now there's a quite the back log of unreleased stuff.( which I'm banned from mentioning because the Lads get bombarded with emails when I do. lol)
In fact there's so much done I'll be building and painting for fun  adding to my own table when ever I feel like it. :D
I may even tempt fate and say I'll have time for a game.
So just for my own amusement (and their probable dispair) he's a hint of some of the reference info. I need to catch up with painting for the new year.

Seem's there is over a thousand different markings on civil helmets alone, according to this book:

https://talesfromthesupplydepot.blog/2020/04/28/helmets-of-the-home-front-book-review/

I will certainly look forward to Civil Defence figures or similar coming out.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #288 on: December 28, 2020, 01:30:04 AM »
ok.. so it's all the same helmet and people may have used paint...
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #289 on: December 28, 2020, 01:33:51 PM »
I did say it was just one piece of reference material and I'm busy catching up with painting ;)
Oddly enough theres more than one type of helmet.( definitely two are distinct enough for 28mm.)

I'd come across the reference book. Doing some work for a reenactment group. Very useful in a grown up setting. But for personal use it's way too much exspensive for it's limited hobby use.

Just for the hell of it here's one of proof of concept pictures . Used to get an okay on styling. Not giving anything away really as they'd be one of the obvious bread and butter set's.

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #290 on: December 28, 2020, 01:49:00 PM »
Those are absolutely stunning and perfect for a 1940 Blitz campaign

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #291 on: December 28, 2020, 03:14:38 PM »
They look great, very atmospheric. Now it's flickering tealights and kapok smoke on ruined buildings. Not really sure how I would use them in a game, but they would be a brilliant piece of table dressing in the right situation.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #292 on: December 29, 2020, 02:03:21 PM »
I've mused over their usefulness myself before starting down this road. I came to the conclusion that combined with other bits and bob's to come. It's possible to do more than just pretty up a table with the new stuff.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #293 on: December 29, 2020, 04:37:36 PM »
I can see them in a active role with the Much-Howling-on-the-Moor Volunteer Fire Brigade, whose commander is also a Captain in the Home Guard.  They have set up beach defences that include flame throwers converted from various fire fighting pumps. A bit like the Harvey Flamethrower.

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #294 on: December 29, 2020, 09:01:22 PM »
I think they would be excellent for a public participation game where you have to put out / stop the fires spreading during the Blitz. Also rescuing civilians from trapped buildings etc.

You could have a couple of teams competing against each other and would potentially be a good one for children as it would teach them about the Blitz and also doesn’t involve them shooting at anything.

In addition they would make a really good diorama and tribute to these brave men. 

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Tin sheds Homefront & ww2.( Farm WIP.)
« Reply #295 on: January 17, 2021, 03:20:26 PM »
Plodding on with the next build. It's a combination of an old HO scale card railway building and a Charlie Foxtrot 28mm mdf building.
Simon and Mick gave me three 'CF' kits a couple of years ago.Of which this is thankfully the last.(It would be fair to say if these three kits did not make me a fan.)

Normally with 20mm\HO buildings I simply raise the whole model 6mm off its original base and resize the doors.
I've added the same 'skirt' to all my 28mm buildings. It helps unify and draw the eye away from the difference in scale.
Although I've added a skirt to the HO card buildings for the farm I've not raised them up 6mm . Just to imply more of an  extension and outbuilding .
I've still got to grind through the painting before tackling the courtyard and base. But it's getting there although I'm not sure on the farm house interior.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #296 on: January 17, 2021, 05:59:53 PM »
Well, I reckon they look great. Really nice job.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #297 on: January 18, 2021, 10:47:54 PM »
Very nice.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #298 on: January 20, 2021, 03:24:37 PM »
Cheers.
I have confess I've been in butterfly mode over the last couple of nights. (I've been avoiding painting it by building Kaned's bike from Akira.It didn't take as much time as I secretly hoped so I've no excuse it's back to painting the farm.  ;D)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #299 on: January 20, 2021, 05:28:08 PM »
Mark, are the Yeomany figures amongst the pending things to be released by 1st Corp?