Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:56:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Horror Fantasy Skirmish (searching for a rulesset)  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Darksider

• Bookworm
Horror Fantasy Skirmish (searching for a rulesset)
« on: September 05, 2019, 02:32:53 PM »
I am looking for a rulesset which I can use for my semi rpg/skirmish game.

A little bit about the setting. The campaign? or at least the games are set in Duskwood (from World of Warcraft). I will only use the place and nothing else from WoW.
There will be a lot of different fantasy races like elves, dwarves, halflings, half-elves and half-orcs etc.
The area is surounded by thick fog, you can enter from outside but you can't leave (like barovia from castle ravenloft).
Maybe I will add some different areas to make a bigger world, but for now I only have this map, which I found on google (shown in the attachment).

I am uncertain what I should use as rulesset for this game. I have considered Fear and Faith, Song of Blades and Heroes, Otherworld Miniature Skirmish Game, maybe Frostgrave or a real Rpg like Pathfinder, D&D.

In my opinion I won't need a complete Rpg, sure there will be a bit of chit chat but most of the time it is about killing monsters. So a skirmish game should be better or not?

With SoBaH and Fear and Faith I can create alot of different Characters and Monsters and Fear and Faith has rules for Madness, Insanity and Fear.

Any suggestions?
They say we come from nothing and to nothing we will return, but in between is gravity and bridges left to burn.

They worshipped, so they said, the Great Old Ones who lived ages before there were any men, and who came to the young world out of the sky.

Offline Commander Carnage

• Scientist
Re: Horror Fantasy Skirmish (searching for a rulesset)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 03:05:10 PM »
How about these. They work great for skirmish games.
https://wiley-games.myshopify.com/collections/tales-of-horror
"Just don't roll a one!"

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 05:59:20 PM »
I would go with what you are thinking of using, Fear and Faith plus the Song of series.
Excellent system of rules, easy for players to use and good for a light RPG.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 06:44:46 PM »
There is a "sticky" thread at the top of this section where Fantasy skirmish rules are discussed in some detail.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=116288.0

There are many to choose from  ;)

Offline krieghund

• Scientist
  • Beyond all Reason
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 08:12:29 PM »
5 Leagues from the Border by Nordic Weasel may be worth s look.

Online Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 11:27:58 AM »
We have been playing some really fun "skirmish with an rpg feel" games using Sellswords and Spellslingers. Our group of heroes have now almost finished their second mini-campaign and I'm working on the next.

There are plenty of different monsters with the game and I've found it really easy to create new foes as we have needed them.

Here's a sample game http://grahamsgaming.blogspot.com/2019/08/emperor-of-ice-sellswords-campaign.html

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 06:22:02 AM »
We have been playing some really fun "skirmish with an rpg feel" games using Sellswords and Spellslingers. Our group of heroes have now almost finished their second mini-campaign and I'm working on the next.

There are plenty of different monsters with the game and I've found it really easy to create new foes as we have needed them.

Here's a sample game http://grahamsgaming.blogspot.com/2019/08/emperor-of-ice-sellswords-campaign.html

Sellswords is very adaptable.  The event cards could be altered for more of a horror feel.  Add in some rules to cover terror (I use a simple method of this for some fearsome creatures).   

Online Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 08:37:11 AM »
Sellswords is very adaptable.  The event cards could be altered for more of a horror feel.  Add in some rules to cover terror (I use a simple method of this for some fearsome creatures).
The adventure "Count Carailis Curse" adds in extended rules for vampires, werewolves, demonic mutants etc (it only costs a couple of quid for a download).

Offline Darksider

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 12:01:46 PM »
Thank you all for the help;). I will stick with fear and faith and song of blades and heroes most of the time. But if I can I will try sellswords.

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 06:03:32 PM »
The Sword Marches: Metal Sword & Sorcery Skirmish Wargames is my Fantasy Skirmish game that may scratch your itch. The Ashcan Play Test Rules are FREE for you to download from our website or our Facebook Group.

I'll be adding the Madness Rules soon as a Play Test update and you might find them useful.

Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/714808465525512/

Brink of Battle Website in the Downloads tab at www.brinkofbattle.com

Hope that helps!
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games