Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:44:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689749
  • Total Topics: 118292
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Flexible basing size solutions for 15mm  (Read 1297 times)

Offline tuco74

• Librarian
Flexible basing size solutions for 15mm
« on: September 13, 2019, 11:06:51 AM »
I've just kicked off my first 15mm project with some Peter Pig ECW miniatures.

I paint much more than I play, but I am looking to game regularly again in the future. That said I have no idea if I used this army at all what ruleset it would be for.

For 28mm basing is pretty simple - I base individually so that I can use sabots in whatever configuration.

15mm gaming seems a little bit more restrictive since basing individual minis doesn't seem to be practical. Am I worrying too much about it or would it limit what games I could play? The Peter Pig bases (30mm x 30mm) would be practical as I can order them with the next lot of minis but would that restrict me to Regiment of Foote?

*Edited - I'm particularly interested in base size rather than number of minis on each base as that seems to be less important. I'd assumed that 40x40 would work well across systems but that may not be the case.

Any advice gratefully received.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 12:19:53 PM by tuco74 »

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Re: Flexible basing solutions for 15mm
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 11:53:00 AM »
I've always based multiple figs in 15mm, but I've experienced issues with representing mixed formations that look historically correct that work within the rules.
The only options I've come up with are;
1) 1 stand of shot, 1 stand of pike
2) 1 stand of pike flanked by 2 stands of shot
3) 2 stands of pike in column flanked by 2 stands of shot.
I've always gone the option 2 route which recreates a 2:1 shot:pike ratio.
Unless you go for mixing shot and pike on the same stand if they habitually go together to recreate the visual look but sacrifice tactical flexibility. DB* rule users have come up with some interesting basing combinations... It has been years since I played with ECW, but Folorn Hope used a table which accounted for variations in pike and shot ratios so it didn't matter what the unit actually looked like. Don't get me started on composite regiments and ensigns...
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline tuco74

• Librarian
Re: Flexible basing solutions for 15mm
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 12:17:37 PM »

2) 1 stand of pike flanked by 2 stands of shot

Yeah, that was the basis I was working on at the moment (and my knowledge of the era is very limited so far).

Are command groups normally modeled as part of a regiment in 15mm?

Also, it was more base size that I was interested in (I'll edit the original post) as it seems more critical in 15mm than it does in 28mm.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Flexible basing size solutions for 15mm
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 12:55:24 PM »

Can really help you with your question but, I have been thinking about this "problem" too. Peter Pig are relatively small models, closer to true 15mm figures... so you should be OK whatever you decide.

But, what happen when you have figures that are on the larger side (18mm)? Most of the basing proposed in different rules for that "scale" seem too small to accommodate most of the figures that are produced nowadays... :?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 01:44:47 PM »
Peter Pig are a good true scale, but 'scale creep' does seem to be more prevalent in other 15mm ranges.
Most of the basing issues revolve around the rules used, which depends on how 'loose' and 'close' order formations are realised on the table. Best advice is to lurk on the renaissance or pike and shot forums and ask around... I freely admit I'm out of date with what's out there now

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 05:34:17 PM »
Both DBx & FOG use 40 x 20 mm bases for both pike & shot elements. Cavalry are 40 x 30 mm. Artillery & dragoons are 40 x 40 mm.  See examples below:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 05:42:53 PM by vexillia »

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 05:52:50 PM »
I always use 30x30 for 15mm infantry bases.  A lot of rule systems work perfectly well as long as both sides use the same base sizes.  Peter Pig infantry figures work well with QRF ECW ranges and well enough with Essex ECW infantry.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 12:12:22 PM »
Do you have any opponents? If not I'd go with the 40mm frontages as suggested by vexillia. It's what I use for all my 15mm.

Only if there's opponents who use the 30mm squares, or if you want to do that because you find it more aesthetically pleasing would I go down that path.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 01:41:52 PM »
An element of "playable" rules is that they are not based sized dependent.  Any two armies based to the same standard should be able to work within a good set of rules.  Any rule set that severely restricts basing doesn't seem up to contemporary standards of playability.  (And now we will here from the DBx crowd, likely.  ::) )

Offline tuco74

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 12:32:52 PM »
Do you have any opponents? If not I'd go with the 40mm frontages as suggested by vexillia. It's what I use for all my 15mm.

Only if there's opponents who use the 30mm squares, or if you want to do that because you find it more aesthetically pleasing would I go down that path.

The issue I have is that I'm currently painting but want to base in a way that doesn't prevent me from playing in the future. I guess I'm just going to have to roll the dice, so to speak.

I'm probably going to use 40mm squares (assuming frontage is the issue rather than depth) because I think aesthetically that will be more pleasing (3 or 4 ranks of men rather than 2).

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 10:48:09 PM »
Seems like a sensible compromise. Most rule sets state front is more important than depth, and really comes down to what's in your area for gaming. All the best.