Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:05:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690734
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CLASH of Spears gameplay - video !!  (Read 1769 times)

Offline seldon

• Scientist
CLASH of Spears gameplay - video !!
« on: September 06, 2019, 01:08:16 AM »
Here you go... our first CLASH of Spears video

hopefully the first of more to come..

Not a tutorial yet, just gameplay so you guys can get the idea..

hope you like it... ( scary moment :) )

http://www.thewargamespot.com/clash-of-spears-gameplay-video/

Offline wkeyser

• Scientist
Re: CLASH of Spears gameplay - video !!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 04:44:45 AM »
I kind of know that you are releasing this game some time in the next couple of months. Is there any where we can preorder?

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 04:49:00 AM »
Not yet, we don’t want to do that till we get the final delivery date from the printer... we really don’t want to muck it up.

Should come out Nov-Dec, and before that we will announce the pre-order in every channel we can... 

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 09:57:55 AM »
Thanks for the video.  Very informative and entertaining.

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 08:06:56 PM »
I have just watched your very interesting video and if you don't mind I'll give my impressions.
First this confirmed what I suspected : I really love your emphasis on fatigue and how it blends into every minute detail of the rules. Very cleverly done.
I was a little surprised with the easiness of moving sideways or with the back to enemy units with impunity and lack of stress ( thinking of the Italian Greek hoplites) and by the ability to shoot javelins through woods. Is there at least some penalty? And there is apparently no priority order when selecting shooting targets, or maybe I didn't hear well enough. Also, the recklessness of heroic single general charging a whole lot of armed foes is ... quite Homeric indeed. Lastly, I'm not convinced by the range of thrown pila: these have been shown by very serious reenactment studies (for instance from the Acta group in south of France with whom I'm in professional contact and who blend high academic textual and archaeological studies with realistic combat tests of ancient weaponry) to be very close fighting tools. They were thrown in a limited range of two to four meters maybe unless they fell flat on the enemy. This is pure physics. You just had minimum time to draw the gladius while running and you were in against a barbarian still trying to get rid of the thing: you had to be very well trained for this quite sophisticated but deadly trilogy of pilum, scutum and gladius. So the only possible long range use should be reserved to the so-called "light pila" which were more javelins than anything else.
Now I wouldn't like you to think of these remarks as hard criticism! Your rules look very much like the definitive serious skirmish ancient rules that I have been searching for decades now. I long to test them for real.
Will they work well with the late Antiquity-Early dark Ages?
Philippe

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 05:00:28 PM »
I have just watched your very interesting video and if you don't mind I'll give my impressions.
First this confirmed what I suspected :... be very well trained for this quite sophisticated but deadly trilogy of pilum, scutum and gladius. So the only possible long range use should be reserved to the so-called "light pila" which were more javelins than anything else.
Now I wouldn't like you to think of these remarks as hard criticism! Your rules look very much like the definitive serious skirmish ancient rules that I have been searching for decades now. I long to test them for real.
Will they work well with the late Antiquity-Early dark Ages?
Philippe

First of all, these are fantastic comments, and in particular I appreciate that you took the time to pay such attention.. I don't take it as hash criticism and I appreciate it...

Let me comment on how our design concepts address what you mention and by no means we assume that this is the only way to do it. it is just the way we felt worked better and obviously some level of abstraction is needed.

Moving sideways or back... 
In open order there is no penalty.. in closed ranks you can only move forwards, and you can shift sideways but only 2"..

Giving your back to the enemy..
In open order it doesn't matter, we don't micromanage figure facing in the unit, in close order, troops attacking you from the side or rear ignore all the trait that you benefit from for being in open order so in that game Alvaro didn't want to do it, he couldn't avoid it because all his lights had been killed...

Shooting through woods... up to 6" you have no penalty if the target is in the open.. if the target is in the woods they are -1 to hit assuming that they are using cover from the woods. In that game I did a mistake ( cheat ? ) , my front rank was within 6" of the enemy but my back troops were not.. although range is measured unit to unit, visibility is by model so the guys in the back, more than 6" could not see the enemy and should not have rolled so in practice I should have been 50% effective, sorry.. my bad.. I did another mistake (cheat? :) )  around 1:23.. we'll see who can find it.....  ( 6" might seem generous but it is important to give troops used to ambushes in woods to be able to use their weapons )

Target priority, we had it in but over playtesting we took it away, going by closest unit did not always seemed right, due to some units being less of a threat than other and such... after removing it and seeing how players would play we found out that players naturally targeted what we would have considered the greatest threat... one of the reasons is that missile troops usually are very easy to kill and you still get victory points.. Characters are the exception, they have to be the closest for you to target them...

Wreckless of generals..
Commanders have 2 or 3 attacks, and 2 or 3 wounds.. Spending a command point to charge an enemy unit is not usually a good idea.. however in that game Alvaro was losing his flank, I had killed his tribsemen and my velites were about to flank his hoplites... so he did that with the general as a desperate attempt to gain time... I sent my commander so that I wouldn't have to expend energy and time from my velites fighting a general, because it takes too much time and does not have as much tactical value... so it was just a desperate attempt that actually didn't pay off.. the reason why I defended with the velites instead of counterattacking was that I thought.. even though a velite is 13 points and his geneal is about 90 points I don't want to loose velites.. I want them free to go shoot at the hoplites back, so I though.. I'll defend.. save my velites and send my general to fight.. he can do many defend actions and keep his commander occupied... It was Alvaro's tactical desperate ploy that didn't pay off... I would say, when you get to the point when your general is fighting.. you are close to loosing the battle... ( and of course if you loose all your generals you loose )... Another thing you can do is attach your general to a unit.. that can make him last longer in combat but he has less command flexibility while attached.. so a trade off..

Range of pila... fantastic point...
We group the pointy thrwoing things in two catergories.. javelins and throwing spears.. these are arbitrary names/abstractions... there is a continuum of these weapons and even pilas and javelins would come in different weights...  here is the KEY difference.. in CLASH you can always pre measure... the move range is 4" , the pila has a range of 4" the javelin 6"... so when you throw the pila, you are right there about to engage in combat or be engaged in combat by the enemy.. because after you throw the pila, if you want to go away.. guess what the enemy can react and charge you...
The javelin has a range of 6" so when you throw the javelin you can do it from a range where the enemy cannot engage you if you choose to run away. If we were not using a telescopic scale javelins would have longer range, but guess what, now bows and slinges need a longer range and soon the game becomes very missile oriented and plays more like WWII, so we shorten the longer missile ranges a bit to avoid that but made sure that the distance was such that we could represent the mechanic...  Also cav can move 8" so guess what, when you try to throw javelins at cav, you are at risk..
So I hope you see that although we recognized what you mentioned, we had to cut the longer ranges a bit for game purposes, an abstraction of course.... We couldn't shorten the range of the pila because if not you would have to combine the throw with the charge, like most rules do and we didn't want to do that because we wanted to have the decision point of "do I charge or not?" depending if you were able to disrupt the enemy formation...  have a look at this example to see what I mean http://www.thewargamespot.com/roman-legionary-vs-carthaginian-warrior/

Throwing spear do get the "reload" rule, so when you throw it before combat you only have time to take your gladius out and cannot saty at 4" throwing pila again... javelins don't so you can stand at 6" and torture them with javelins.. and for example your spartan hoplites will need to break close order and chase you in open order to try to reach you and your peltasts will get their chance to react in the middle...   all this works with very strict precision and why it is critical that you can premeasure in CLASH, we don't want you guys to be experts in distance guessing.. just to play with the tactics...

So your remarks are absolutely spot on, I don't take them as criticism but as curiosity of someone trying to find out if the design concepts on a new set of rules work for them... I think that given your focus on this concepts you will enjoy CLASH very much.. I hope that other people also will enjoy them as we have worked to streamline mechanic for everyone but for detail oriented players like you we really think that these mechanics will suit your understanding of classical warfare...  you will see that the final outcome is very much as described in history even if the granular specifics are abstracted a bit as in this case javs being only 50% longer range than pilum which is an abstraction as mentioned above..

You will see that when you play clash you will feel that missile troops are of very tactical use, but that close combat seals the deal.. and that was very important for us...

hope this works...

And very heart felt appreciation from your detailed questions... I really love to discuss our design principles to try to convey to players the concepts of the game..

cheers
Francisco
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 06:11:40 PM by seldon »

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 05:21:57 PM »
Oops forgot to answer the last question.. not a minor one...

When the book comes out Nov-Dec we will release simultaneously as set of playtest lists that will cover earlier periods and later periods including dark ages.

We have been doing some playtesting  in dark ages already but it was put on hold when we started blind playtesting groups for the book's lists...

All those will be available for free to players, as they will be strictly in playtest mode.. They will include some traits not in the book that will be available in playtest mode and we hope to leverage the community, if players like the game , to release the subsequent supplements next year.... So you will be able to playtest vikings against saxons as soon as you get your clash of spears book, with different traits such as shieldbreakers, or the traits for warhorse and other types of troops...

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 05:38:20 PM by seldon »

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 08:50:40 PM »
Francisco
Thanks for the very detailed reply. I recognize that everything is logical as you explain it.
If possible I'd love to playtest the Dark Age version as I have the figures ready for the Justinian period: Romaioi, Goths, some Franks and northern Germans, Huns and Avars, Sassanid Persians. I would do it solitaire however.
By the way, were do you live, if I may ask?
Philippe

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 12:11:05 AM »
I’m orginally from Argentina (Buenos Aires ) but I live in Austin.

Everyone will be able to playtest the dark ages lists since as soon as the book is out people will have access to our point system and to the playtest lists for dark ages.

The playtest process for us is very iterative, we start playing, we look at interactions, we come up with traits that when we run the montevarlo simulations produce the outcomes we think are right. When playtesters don’t like the results we ask what do they think is right “these guys should win 60% of the time” etc.. we try to find historical references that support a common understanding.. go back.. change traits , simulate again ...

so we will greatly benefit from people playtesting.

So , December when people get the book they will be able to play more than just the core lists, albeit in playtest mode...

Francisco

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 05:50:55 AM »
Thanks for that, Francisco.  I am impressed with your willingness to answer questions.
I know you are going to work on a fantasy version, but I imagine, for a low fantasy (Tolkien-type world) we could use the current rules for orcs and elves too.

I will plan on doing some dark age games.  If these go well I will buy Greeks.  I would get Greeks now except I am dreadfully slow  with my painting and don't need a bigger lead pile.

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 02:26:36 PM »
We started playtesting with LoTR, so in Dec I'll post unofficila LoTR lists.. totally open for change and tweak by players with the point system.

I am very open to questions because, 1) my main objective is to get people playing so I want them to get excited, 2) we have thought long and hard about these design issues so many times the answer is the answer we came up with when we had that same question, 3) I love talking to fellow gamers, I hope that they will make the rules theirs.. we are not an establish big company so we have much more freedom with that... almost almost like an open source set of rules... We will just reserve to make the changes and adjustments to ideas that we feel are right because we have some sophisticated methods that are not perfect but that underlay and bring consistency to the system .. thus avoiding new army power creep and stuff...

So please, everyone , watch the video and keep questions comming..

and don't forget to keep up with us in facebook group The Wargame Spot...

oh, yes.. be nice and buy the book when it comes out ;)  but more importantly when you get it.. play the game... in as many periods as you like...

Offline Gaston de Foix

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 07:36:41 AM »
As many periods And scales...Detailed game I like the look of was for me an excuse to purchase long ogled 40mm Ancients from Sash and Sabre and some others.
Great discussion guys, a lot of thought in these rules.
Cheers
Andrew in Oz

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 07:55:10 PM »
Wow.. 40mm... that would be fun to see