Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:24:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690732
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Edit: 1815 Brunswicker Query; added news from Front Rank about new sculpts  (Read 1671 times)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Newbie question, again. My apologies.

I need to put together a battalion of Brunswickers for the my Peninsular collection. Can I use 1815 Lieb Battalion Black Brunswickers?

Also, my collection is Front Rank (who don't do Black Brunswickers), does anyone know which would be the best sculpt (size and build) to match FR out of Eagle and Perry miniatures? Open to other suggestions.

Perry

Eagle

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 03:59:17 PM by olicana »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Can I use 1815 Lieb Battalion Brunswicker sculpts for the Peninsular?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 11:58:43 PM »
I can't answer your uniform question but I am sure neither Perry nor Eagle will be a great match for Front Rank, as I have been looking at Brunswickers myself. Caliver books do a couple of Brunswicker figures in a charging pose. (only one is on the website but I sent off for a few of them and I got a mix of two similar poses for the same code). They match better with Front Rank.
http://www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/images/catalogue/PENN02.jpg
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 07:26:25 AM »
The only significant difference between the 'musket/black' companies of the Brunsiwck-Oels Jagers and the Leib-Bataillon of 1815 is the colour of the officers' sashes - crimson in the Peninsular War and yellow/silver in 1815.  So no worries.
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 11:37:37 AM »
Apparently there is word on the grapevine that Alec is going to do Brunswickers soon. I'll drop him a line, find out, and get back to you all.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

James

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 02:00:31 PM »
Apparently there is word on the grapevine that Alec is going to do Brunswickers soon. I'll drop him a line, find out, and get back to you all.

Hope that’s true!

Offline Maddoc

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 09:15:45 PM »
Your best bet is grabbing the Perry Lieb with the awesome droopy plume (yeah, I'm technical) for the Peninsula fights, and if you want some rifle toting jager, just remember to paint them with green jackets and grey pants - my initial Brunswickers were the Perry Light Infantry with the short plume and Avant-garde hat wearing riflemen.. To most people, they fine and pass perfectly, but I'm working on getting the better suited versions done, lol. Will keep my original ones for HDW.
I'll take some snaps of my Front Rank Highlanders vs Perry Brunswickers tomorrow for basic size comparisons.

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 10:01:38 PM »

What *is* the Lieb battalion doing in its tents at night really?

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 11:19:47 PM »
What *is* the Lieb battalion doing in its tents at night really?
The same as the Prussian Love-Hussars, I imagine...  :o

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 11:51:44 PM »
Hope that’s true!

So do I - particularly if they are done in “reinforcement packs” to give a variety of similarly equipped and posed figures, some of which might be used for Peninsular as well as Waterloo.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 10:34:11 AM »
The Peninsula uniform of the 9 battalion companies of the Brunswick Oels and the Hundred Days uniform of the Leib Battalion were, to all intents and purposes the same, except that the sashes were (as Jemima says) crimson in the former and yellow/silver in the latter.  One other slight alteration, if you are using the Perry figures, is that the Peninsula unit would have had rolled greatcoats on the tops of their backpacks*, whilst the Hundred Days unit had a mess tin.  Note that the 3 rifle companies of the Brunswick Oels wore the same shako with drooping horsehair plume of the battalion companies in the Peninsula, and not the Austrian-style hats worn in 1809 and 1815; also bear in mind that they did not serve alongside the battalion companies during the Peninsula campaigns, but were distributed to British brigade to reinforce their skirmish screens, much like the 5/60th companies.

(* Assuming they ignored Wellington's order to send their greatcoats back to base and fight without them, which was also done for most British/German infantry in the Waterloo campaign. )
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 03:57:18 PM »
Thanks guys, and hot off the press.....

A note from Alec at Front Rank.

Hi James,
Hope all is well with you, yes there is truth in the rumour I have been working on Brunswickers however it seems like I get less and less time to do designing so they are taking a while, I may have the first releases available during the Autumn/winter.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 11:11:00 PM »
Thanks guys, and hot off the press.....

A note from Alec at Front Rank.

Not too long to wait....time to start saving the pennies  ;D