Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:35:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689787
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Well that's great, just great!"  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: "Well that's great, just great!"
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2019, 01:46:41 PM »
Just had a look in my own stash and found that at some point I actually did buy myself a 1/48 DH9. I really do need to try and get myself back to the modelling table and get it built. This thread has been quite the inspiration, so thanks for that, Harry. Next I think I'm going to check out that WI article you mentioned.

Idly googling I just spotted this...

Seems Roden do the ambulance version, too. That was used in Somaliland. Can't quite figure how to put that one in a game, but now I want it!
(Actually, I don't think this thread is helping, more like making things worse! lol)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2019, 04:03:54 AM »
I always planned to do a "Blackhawk Down" type scenario in a colonial setting.

For more inspiration check out Ian Croxall's Yellowbird Down TSATF scenario set in Mogadishu Italian Somaliland in 1923:

www.warflag.com/shadow/games.htm

« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 02:01:38 PM by warrenpeace »
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2019, 10:22:21 AM »
Thanks for that, warrenpeace. Unfortunately that's a dead link for me.

I had a look at the WI article Harry mentioned. Very inspiring. I see the author went down the Biggles route, too for his downed pilot. (Bah! Copying my style... ;))

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2019, 02:05:15 PM »
Thanks for that, warrenpeace. Unfortunately that's a dead link for me.

The link didn't work for me either, Plynkes. So I changed it to this, with the Yellowbird Down scenario at the top of the list:

www.warflag.com/shadow/games.htm

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2019, 04:40:32 PM »
Thanks, mate. Looking at it I'm pretty sure I've seen it before, but it's always good to see it again.  :)

Offline rebelzippy

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2019, 07:44:46 PM »
I recognise some of those Brits!
Nice to see them in action!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2019, 04:09:19 AM »
(Actually, I don't think this thread is helping, more like making things worse! lol)

This might help old chap. I've got these three pilots spare, if you need any downed aircrew, pm me your address and I'll get them a posting sorted out!

:)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2019, 11:59:46 AM »
That's kind of what I mean by making things worse. I'm trying to reduce the old lead pile and your thread is making me want to get new things. It's a really kind offer, Harry, and I do appreciate it, but I think I'm actually good for airmen figures. Thanks, though.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2019, 10:03:27 AM »
Been toying with the idea of giving Major General Faversham's Column a bit of armoured support. I wanted to keep it daft, in line with the ripping yarns type adventures, he and the Mad Mullah take part in. Then I found two of these for a snip on fleabay, and pounced!

::)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2019, 11:20:09 AM »
Nice! I don't see what is daft about it, though. Perfectly good choice. I have no idea if they used Rollers in the "Grim" or not, I haven't really studied the period, but they certainly used armoured cars, and even if they aren't exactly correct they make for a perfectly good stand-in.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2019, 06:20:33 PM »
Probably not, maybe those armoured cars that have a turret like a Dalek's melon though!?
Daft it's serpently not old bean?
Even when Dastardley, Muttley and Vulture Squadron turn up to nick the Mad Mullah's treasure chest?

;D

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2019, 05:01:12 PM »
A Crappy Hill Too Far…

The Mad Mullah’s men moved fast onto the hill, but not fast enough to spot where the downed Airmen had scuttled off to. The Mullah had his first attack of the vapours at this and sent a search party on the hunt. He then bent to siting his vunderveapons with a splendid field of fire to the bridge the Infidels must cross. First impressions were very encouraging

“Praise be to Allah. Ally Ally Akbar!!!”

Much praise and blessings to Allah echoed around the hilltop, a great reckoning had been had! The import of all this seemed to get a tad lost on the Brigade of Guards though, a blizzard of Lewis and a ‘mad minute’ of rifle fire bowled the Mad Mullah down the hill and well and truly sorted out his new toys. In minutes the only thing left standing on the hill being a Vulture, licking it’s lips and eyeing up the dead sniper and Maxim crew. As two of his men carried the wounded Mullah to safety, they pondered at Allah’s whims and fancies, his wonders to perform.

???

But wot of Lord Flash and his reluctant sidekick Slacky? They watched as the search party closed in. Then opened fire as the door to their hideout was kicked open, and laughed with relief as the smelly Afghan hounds hit the deck. Not used to the wily and treacherous ways of down in the dirt scrapping they fell for the oldest trick in the book! The egg went splat under the hat as the two ruffians jumped back up and knocked them both senseless, they came round trussed like two oven readies!

:o

:'(

Making off to report the search party quickly realised that their efforts were going to be the high water mark of the Beloved’s day. Attempting to engage Britain’s finest in a protracted shootout had proved a disaster for the baddies…

Although one drug crazed swordsman did survive the carnage long enough to deliver Major General Faversham a wicked sabre cut to his melon. Luckily this was the densest part of his body and only parted him from wot passes as his senses…

:?

The last fling of the Mad Mullah’s underlings hung upon the turn of a card….

"ALLY ALLY AKBAR! ALLY ALLY AKBAR!! ALLY ALLY AKBAR!!!"

;D

:'(

Just one word… "BUGGER!!!"

The Bugle call was.

“Put yer fingers in your ears lads!”

lol BOOM!!! lol

« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 05:09:01 PM by Harry Faversham »

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2019, 01:06:18 PM »
Armoured support has joined the 2nd. Malakand Field Force!!!

:-*