Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:11:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689495
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Terrain ID - River Section  (Read 709 times)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Terrain ID - River Section
« on: September 07, 2019, 02:30:54 AM »
Can anyone ID the river section in this beautiful Japanese scene for "Ronin"? I'm trying to figure out if it's a store bought/pre-made or a custom work. I tried to contact the site author, to no avail.

Offline S J Donovan

• Scientist
Re: Terrain ID - River Section
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 03:43:58 AM »
I am not certain but they look like Ainsty's river bank sections.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 07:30:35 PM »
Based on how they drape, they appear to be an acrylic caulk based design.  Based on coloring on the near end, maybe home made (or maybe poor quality control if not).  Whoever created this appears not to want to cut the river to better fit the setup which definitely suggests an active war gammer.  Then again, I cut my river sections at times to get a better fit - but only within reason.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 06:08:34 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 04:51:27 AM »
Can't say.

Looks like you could easily replicate something like that though, with the thin, clear plastic light paneling, or shower door material sold by TAP Plastics.  It's made of acrylic.

Cut to size/shape, paint underneath, add banks, and perhaps a little white water stippling on top, if desired, you are done.

Other materials would work too, but you need more modeling skill and time for those.  The above is dead simple, once you cut to size and shape.  Razor knives, saws, files, sandpaper, and/or a Dremel too will be very useful for this.

The latter especially for final shaping and smoothing.

Don't forget to wear goggles and a face mask/respirator to avoid breathing in the particles/dust, and to keep from getting it in your eyes.