Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:36:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690791
  • Total Topics: 118350
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Your Shrine or mine?  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Your Shrine or mine?
« on: September 08, 2019, 01:36:44 PM »
The Spartans and Athenians, as is there wont, have been bickering on and off for months. The harvesting complete the Athenians have resolved to go on the march and vandalise the magnificent Spartan shrine to Leonidas. The Spartans get wind of this and dispatch an army, to not only stop this desecration, but to purport one of their own on the nearby Athenian shrine.

The opposing forces prepare for battle.

Arichilles, having finished combing his mullet raises his shield and entertains the lads with a battle song…

The rest of the Spartan line listens, quietly…

To the north the noisy rabble of Athenians shake out for battle. Bottom left can be seen their pokey little excuse for a shrine sat in an overgrown brier patch*…

* A life size inflatable Hoplite doll to the first punter to guess which side I’m on.

:)

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Re: Your Shrine or mine?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 01:52:08 PM »
What you can get blow up hoplites?
Very nice what rules are you using?

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 03:03:49 PM »
Keeping it simple as it's Herself's first go at wargaming! We're using Neil Thomas's 'One Hour Wargames' rules. we both rolled for a six unit army, then added a three unit one.
If she wins I'm retiring from wargaming and taking up flower arranging. If she doesn't we'll double up to 12 units a side and have a proper tonking match!
She's started already with physiological warfare, telling me that the dark brown edge to the bases looked spiffing...
on a dark brown shelf, but look a bit wank in a green field! She knows that this'll fester till I hate every one of mi' little Greek creations, lose on purpose, just so I can do the base edges in green.

:'(

« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 04:16:36 PM by Harry Faversham »

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 07:52:27 PM »
On the Spartan side I'll wager?

I wish to see who wins, more please!

The bases look fine; all in all a great looking game!

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 08:01:19 PM »
Beautiful looking game.  :o

Cant say I have a horse in the race as both sides are southern pansies. Whichever side loses, the north wins by default! :D

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 07:21:14 AM »
Thrilling AAR but I was very distracted by the mysterious person holding a rifle in the background of the last picture!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 09:38:09 AM »
Thrilling AAR but I was very distracted by the mysterious person holding a rifle in the background of the last picture!

That's Dave, and it's a Sten gun actually. Bob's the rifleman, they're on sentry duty at the gates of the Emporium!

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 10:11:52 AM »
Ahh, a mere stengun, how silly of me :p

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 12:51:09 PM »
I like the columns, where did you get them?

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 03:20:01 PM »
Cracking game.

My wife and daughter beat me at wargaming all the time!  They barely play and i hav ebeen playing since 84. 

It is nothing to be ashamed of, but instead proud of! 

Edit: I love the thread title.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 08:44:49 PM »
I like the columns, where did you get them?

Local pet shop, two quid apiece, then bash 'em up a bit!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 11:43:51 PM »
Battle* is joined as the Spartan skirmishers shower the Athenians on the hill with javelins. This provokes catcalls and jeers from the armoured men on the hill. A proverb of the ancients goes… ‘sticks and stones may break my bones, but calling names won’t hurt me’, and they didn’t. The arrow storm unleashed by the Athenian archers skulking on the hill’s reverse slope, were however fish of a different kettle, devastating the Spartan skirmish screen.

:-[

To add insult to injury Athenian Cavalrymen charged the flank of the Spartan’s slingers, but not before getting a hammering on the way in. Battle was then joined all along the line with Hoplites hitting head on.

Not the Athenian cavalry’s brightest idea to try and draw conclusion with the elite of the Spartan Hoplites…

lol

*White dice:- Brace yerself lads! Red dice:- Close up, close up!

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 03:16:39 PM »
Cavalry charging! 

They apparently forgot their role in the Greek army!  Silly noblemen must have been drinking their own kool-aid.....

lol

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2019, 01:14:59 PM »
Predictably the elite of the Spartan Hoplites make short work of the enemy Cavalry, rout the archers stood behind them, and then smash into the flank of the nearest Athenian Hoplites…

Fighting flares all along the line, King Nikchilles and his Queen bolster the hard pressed Spartan, fighting in the front ranks.

On the Spartan left flank the skirmishers melt away from the arrow storm as their puny Javelins carry on amusing the Athenian Hoplites. The Spartans charge but the uphill advantage of the enemy proves too much and a Spartan unit breaks and falls back!

Back on the right flank an obviously inept Athenian General is dragged from his mount and butchered, his men break and a general rout ensues…

Meanwhile, back on the right flank, disaster hits the valiant Spartans assault on the hill. Hit in front and flanks their Hoplite unit is destroyed. Seeing the the elite of the Spartan Hoplites hurrying to seal the breach Arichlles forms the reinforcements and advances again…

The Spartan Kind and Queen join valiant Arichilles…

:o What’s this! by the Cringe, What's this!!!???  :o

The Gods thunder from Olympus and the sun goes out, the Athenians take heart at the sign sent from their Gods. When the sun re-appears the Spartan centre is broken!!!

A thunderbolt of lightening hits the hill followed by a deafening thumble of runder. The Spartan King and Queen are struck down…

This terrible display of power, from the Athenian’s God’s, turns the splendid Spartan Army into a howling rabble who flee for their lives. The exhausted Athenians watch them go, then prepare to thank their God’s, for the deliverance…

:?

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2019, 03:29:10 PM »
I like your basing effect - what size bases have you used here?