Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:59:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690588
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fading Suns Hazat Dreadnought & Decados/Hawkwood Landers  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Fading Suns Hazat Dreadnought & Decados/Hawkwood Landers
« on: September 28, 2019, 10:33:21 PM »
New post on the blog showcasing a painted Hazat Adonais-class dreadnought from Fading Suns/Noble Armada.

https://brokenstarsburningships.blogspot.com/2019/09/fading-suns-noble-armada-hazat-adonais.html

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 09:59:58 PM by Hobby Services »

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Fading Suns Hazat Dreadnought & Decados/Hawkwood Landers
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 10:01:27 PM »
Added another post with the Decados & Hawkwood landing ships that were only sold in the old Holistic dreadnoughts boxes.

https://brokenstarsburningships.blogspot.com/2019/09/fading-suns-noble-armada-hawkwood.html

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 03:48:54 PM »
Yet again, great work. Thanks for continuing to inspire.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 06:43:39 PM »
Yet again, great work. Thanks for continuing to inspire.

Thanks.  Admit I'm losing steam on the Noble Armada retrospective stuff.  Doesn't seem to be much interest in general, and as far as I can tell the FASA edition that recently came out is tanking hard.  Literally cannot find a living human being who's played it, or even reviewed it online anywhere.  The ACTA version isn't technically dead (you can still buy the pdfs easily enough) but there doesn't appear to be any kind of lingering fan base still playing.  It's disappointing, I really like the Fading Suns setting and always have, but if there's no real player base for the starship rules left there's no point in doing blog posts about the games and minis. 

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 09:32:01 PM »
Yeah, but I've always loved some of the ships for many other games.

Hope my Paypal can recover while these are up.  ;)

Doug

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 11:12:22 PM »
Yeah, but I've always loved some of the ships for many other games.

Hope my Paypal can recover while these are up.  ;)

Doug

They are quite useful for other games, true, and many of their designs and details are small enough to jump down to "Fleet Action" scale ala Babylon 5's smaller range, which is handy for some folks, especially if you play on hex maps.  I'm more of a Full Thrust scale guy, but they're still big enough to work for that okay, and some (like that big Hazat dreadnought) work fine for either.  It's really a shame the old Holistic plastics are apparently OOP for good.  Wonder who was actually making them back in the day and where the molds wound up?

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 10:21:10 AM »
To be honest Ive never seen anyone playing, and your ships are first (maybe second time) I see NA ships painted on the net.

If it helps I always watch them with pleasure :)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 01:37:43 PM »
To be honest Ive never seen anyone playing, and your ships are first (maybe second time) I see NA ships painted on the net.

It certainly doesn't seem to have had much success as a game in any of its 3.5 incarnations (Holistic had a second edition, hence the fraction), which may say something about Fading Suns itself being a bit too niche. Kind of a pity, and it surprises me that the ACTA version didn't prosper despite Mongoose's typical issues.  I recall their ACTA Babylon 5 doing all right for years, and the games were mechanically similar.  OTOH, B5 is well known in scifi circles even today, so stronger draw from the parent IP.

FWIW I actually got off my butt to paint my Noble Armada leftovers in large part due to seeing a freshly painted Li Halan fleet on Facebook, so you do see some finished stuff now and then even now.

If it helps I always watch them with pleasure :)

Good to know.  I imagine I'll get around to doing more at some point, probably after I either find something rare or cheap on ebay for the game or Ral Partha Europe releases more of the missing figures from the Mongoose run.

My next starship-related posts will probably revolve around the massive kitbashing project I've got littering the workbench right now.  I expected to be doing a 15mm fantasy commission for a couple of months but there seems to have been a  snag.