Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:48:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Review A Wargame. But How? 10 Do’s & Don’ts  (Read 3854 times)

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
Re: Review A Wargame. But How? 10 Do’s & Don’ts
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2019, 01:01:48 PM »
DeltaVector wrote in one of his game design blogs that 40k was designed as a skirmish game but evolved to become a large battle game. One of the design mistakes in his view is that the original (Rogue Trader) mechanics are too detailed for large battles, so that the game is slowed down.
Dropzone Commander (a game he recommends) uses 40k-statlines and mechanics, but when you play a larger battle, units count more miniatures, not more options. In other words: units have more hit dice but not more different weapons.
I played Warlord's Pike and Shotte and discovered that because of a combination of game mechanics and too many 28mm miniatures on a relatively small 6x4 table the game became a simple bucket of dice game in the middle of the tabletop, while cavalry was ineffective and unable to maneuver.
So in answer to your first point, I intend to include such insights in my reviews. Fonts and readability is part of the layout.

I'm pretty sure 6x4 is the wrong size for Pike and shot. Hail Ceasar/Pike and Shot/Black Powder are all essentially designed for HUGE games using massive collections. The whole point is to avoid the more complex systems for something simpler you can use 10,000 minis a side and get a game in an evening.