Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:02:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Historical ladies you'd like to see in miniature?  (Read 11648 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
Re: Historical ladies you'd like to see in miniature?
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2010, 03:37:29 PM »
Teresa, a guerillero (?) and Sharpe's love interest in the Cornwell books.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2010, 08:25:15 PM »
Seconded for Rosa Luxemburg. In a similar vein, Sylvia Pankhurst when she was cool (between 1917 and 1925). Oh, and Nadezhda Krupskaya and Natalia Trotsky. I have no idea what Natalia Trotsky looked like, but staging the first, failed 'assassination' of Trotsky by the Mexican branch of the Surrealist International would be... interesting.

Ooooh! Frieda Kahlo!

former user

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010, 08:57:18 PM »
Ashok and Anjuli-Bay from "Palace of the Winds" as a couple pack

I'm sure noone knows her:
Ecaterina Teodoroiu - a romanian WWI-hero who decided she wanted to fight and got lieutenant before she died. French-style uniform

Pilot Blackthorne and Mariko Buntaro-Toda from Shogun
Dr Frank'n Furter
Commander "Frankie" Cook from Sky Captain
and of course many many WASP pilots
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 08:59:28 PM by bedwyr »

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 09:04:42 PM »
If it's anything early (pre 1900) - just try to get the shape right.
Too many manufacturers produce "historical" figures that look more like Dallas cheerleaders wearing fancy dress outfits.
16th & 17th century dresses have distinctive shapes created by stays, bumrolls, farthingales, all sorts of artificial straightening or padding, but it usually gets overlooked by figure designers (and Hollywood costumiers).... and a lot of reenactors who should know better but the women often say "I don't need a bumroll my bum's too big already", quite probably correct, but being too big isn't the same as being the right shape.

Blue Moon are often hopeless at getting the shape right.
Rant over.
I'll go and look for the green frog pills again....
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2010, 02:54:42 PM »
Sorry to come so late to the party, but I couldn't think of anything until I found myself watching the movie "The Professionals" yesterday. Though most of the forum lads would have been entirely distracted by the presence of Claudia Cardinale (I know she has something of a following here), it was Marie Gomez as Chiquita that captivated me.

Got me thinking I'd like to paint a figure of her (I was thinking some other things too, but enough of that).

But seeing as she's not an historical character, how about La Adelita, who isn't an historical personage either, but instead a character from a Mexican folk song, who is sort of the archetype of the Soldaderas of the Mexican Revolution (apparrently) who were real and historical. She can stand for them.

But let's make her a fighting Soldadera rather than just a camp follower as she seems to be in the song, as that would be more fun to paint.

And while we're about it, make her look like Marie Gomez as Chiquita, described by Wikipedia as a "buxom soldier" (coz she's just to die for, damn that Burt Lancaster for shooting her!):

For all I know such a figure already exists, but if it does I wouldn't know where to look. I don't even game the Mexican Revolution, but I'm sure I would if somebody would make some nice figures.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 03:59:40 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2010, 05:10:48 PM »
Just a thought.

Would it be possible to do a figure, with proceeds to a charity like Combat Stress or the Red Cross, of "Combat Barbie" - Lance Corporal Katrina Hodge, currently serving both as a memer of the Royal Anglian Regiment, and as Miss England?  It would probably sell well in the run-up to the Miss World final.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2010, 09:35:36 PM »
Commander "Frankie" Cook from Sky Captain

Not actually a historical person - sadly, in real life, Britain didn't acquire any flying aircraft carriers until Harold Saxon's time as Defence Secretary - but you might be interested in Major Charlie Stackdt, from Brigade Games' WW2 Pulp Horror section.

http://www.brigadegames.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BG-ADVH160&Category_Code=BGADVH&Product_Count=39

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2010, 11:27:17 PM »
Whilst I am more than happy to acknowledge the obvious virtues and merits of Ms Cardinale, really you need a Mexican actress for to play a Mexican bandit and who better than María Félix ? (OK I'll tip my hat to Srta Hayek as well)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fc/La_Cucaracha_movie_poster.jpg

Brazil's best known female bandit looks a bit dowdy by comparison but I'd happily take a mini of Maria Bonita:

http://jerimumbeta.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/lampiao-maria-bonita-cangaco.jpg

Oh and the video also works as a good tutorial on building a houuse in the sertão

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2010, 11:41:02 PM »
The reference to Claudia was just a passing one (she's very popular here). I have no interest in her. The actress I was infatuated with during that picture was Marie Gomez:

But I guess the point stands, as I don't think she's Mexican either (not sure what she is to be honest - French/Spanish/American or something).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:15:31 AM by Plynkes »

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2010, 11:52:30 PM »
The reference to Claudia was just a passing one (she's very popular here). I have no interest in her. The actress I was infatuated during that picture with was Marie Gomez:

But I guess the point stands, as I don't think she's Mexican either (not sure what she is to be honest - French/Spanish/American or something).

Very nice, and I agree with Plynkes. I would like to see a figure of hers (and of CC of course!)

But I would like to add:
Ursula Andress in white bikini as in Dr No!
Oh yes Mme Bonancieux, too

and some of these ladies, too:
http://louderfunier.blogspot.com/2009/03/women-in-uniform.html
argsilverson

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2010, 12:39:20 AM »
You have good taste Mr Plynkes.

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2010, 07:26:11 AM »
Dr. Ruth Westheimer when she was an Isreali Sniper, or Golda Meir, or any Israli female soldier, ie with UZI.

Betsy Ross and Dolly Madison.

WWII, Russian, those brave women pilots and snipers.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:44:15 AM by leadfool »
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----