Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:07:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: GW Dogs of War Flags/banners (Help needed!)  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
Re: GW Dogs of War Flags/banners (Help needed!)
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2019, 03:57:02 PM »
In terms of 'personal use' it is my understanding that while it may be lawful for a person to make digital copies for his or her personal use, or for the use of others in the same household, it is not for the use of anyone else.

Thank you.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2019, 04:09:49 PM »
Just out of interest, is your claim to “fair use” in the UK? I’d hazard a guess that this site is subject to UK legislation.  :)

https://www.bl.uk/business-and-ip-centre/articles/fair-use-copyright-explained
I'm used to the UK version...

Fair use for quotation, critique or review

These flags were made in the UK and so was the White Dwarf issue* and pictures were taken with a Galaxy SIII. These aren't Getty Images...   

Would the mods be happy if I were to receive a written permission slip from Richard Roundtree? :D

*Never happy with the US version...

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2019, 04:13:20 PM »
In terms of 'personal use' it is my understanding that while it may be lawful for a person to make digital copies for his or her personal use, or for the use of others in the same household, it is not for the use of anyone else.

Thank you.
If you're going that route, then LAF is an household...

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2019, 04:15:46 PM »
I'm used to the UK version...

These flags were made in the UK and so was the White Dwarf issue* and pictures were taken with a Galaxy SIII. These aren't Getty Images...   

Would the mods be happy if I were to receive a written permission slip from Richard Roundtree? :D

*Never happy with the US version...

I don't think permission from Richard Roundtree would suffice. Isn't he the guy who played Shaft?

Did you mean GW CEO Kevin Roundtree? Permission from him would probably be ok.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2019, 04:19:55 PM »
I don't think permission from Richard Roundtree would suffice. Isn't he the guy who played Shaft?

Did you mean GW CEO Kevin Roundtree? Permission from him would probably be ok.
https://spikeybits.com/2018/10/gws-ex-ceo-tom-kirby-heralds-dangerous-stock-slide.html

So SpikeyBits got it wrong...

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 04:22:37 PM »
If you're going that route, then LAF is an household...

I'm not going down any 'route', but I'd doubt if a website forum would be considered as a household in any legal definition.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2019, 12:26:37 AM »
Steders,
I'm quite intrigued to see what you come up with. Personally I'm plodding my way through a similar project where all my flags and banners are hand painted. Mainly because it's never sat well with me being told there's a correct colour scheme and banners for fantasy figures.(it's always felt like something of an oxymoron.)
If I'm being totally honest I've never been able justify the exspense of a premade banner to the Mrs when I can make them myself.  lol

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2019, 08:17:59 AM »
Well this project was just an attempt to use figures I already own. I've got Original GW ogres (to use as Golfags lads), some wolf riders (olag khans hobgoblins), GW chaos marauders for the Bearmen, (plus a werebear from somewhere), Mid period Chaos knights to use as Volands venators, a couple of Renaissance cannons and Perry Mercenaries to make pike units and crossbow men.
With such a diverse bunch I thought giving them similar banners would tie them together

Only thing I'm struggling with is a general. I stuck together a Fireforge Templar knight and gave him a different head but he still doesn't stand out.
I don't know if the whole lot will ever see the table, just enjoying trying to pull it together and painting them

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2019, 08:19:37 AM »
Flags of mercenary companies in Florentine service from History & Uniforms #11: The Siege of Florence - 1529-30.
Thanks Condi!
Thats interesting stuff

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2019, 09:18:54 AM »
I chose to use a limited colour palette,and only colours straight from the pot no mixing.Also a simple style of painting, As life gets in the way (and it will) I can come back to the project without worrying about trying to match the newly painted to the previous round.
For banners I'm using  simple motifs that are easy to replicate and can be  either simplified or elaborated on depending on the banner and time.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2019, 09:47:22 AM »
(...)
Only thing I'm struggling with is a general. I stuck together a Fireforge Templar knight and gave him a different head but he still doesn't stand out.
(...)

If you are considering modern figures [EDIT: and, if push comes to shove, would consider adding to the lead pile for lack of existing donors], have you seen the various mounted figures by Lead Adventure Miniatures?

There are some, stylistically obviously inspired by classic Warhammer Renaissance Fantasy, that would be sufficiently pompous to work as a mercenary general. The poses might be a bit too sedate, though.

https://lead-adventure.de/BDF-18-Duke-Magnus-of-Protzingen-mounted-1
https://lead-adventure.de/BDF-17-Georg-von-Wuerstenberg-mounted-1
https://lead-adventure.de/NOR-18-Mounted-General-Add-on

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2019, 11:39:12 AM »
I chose to use a limited colour palette,and only colours straight from the pot no mixing.Also a simple style of painting, As life gets in the way (and it will) I can come back to the project without worrying about trying to match the newly painted to the previous round.
For banners I'm using  simple motifs that are easy to replicate and can be  either simplified or elaborated on depending on the banner and time.
Love your Armour and flags. Simple motifs!!?? I'm thinking red stripes on a white background and that has me terrified!!

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2019, 11:42:59 AM »
If you are considering modern figures [EDIT: and, if push comes to shove, would consider adding to the lead pile for lack of existing donors], have you seen the various mounted figures by Lead Adventure Miniatures?

There are some, stylistically obviously inspired by classic Warhammer Renaissance Fantasy, that would be sufficiently pompous to work as a mercenary general. The poses might be a bit too sedate, though.

https://lead-adventure.de/BDF-18-Duke-Magnus-of-Protzingen-mounted-1
https://lead-adventure.de/BDF-17-Georg-von-Wuerstenberg-mounted-1
https://lead-adventure.de/NOR-18-Mounted-General-Add-on

Never seen them before, really nice.
I had a sudden thought about using a chaos knight, I've got about a dozen floating around. I could de-spike him and find a suitable head. I wonder if I could get a suitable space marine head to work (Got loads of them lying around)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2019, 12:21:24 AM »
Definitely give it ago .You'll end up with a unique general and at the worst buying a replacement.
I've used the few Empire plastic heads I had left to convert ten bowmen and five knights from the old Battle Masters game.
It's worked well enough that I'm going to have to sculpt a shed load of new heads to finish the project(the price of spare plastic heads is way way beyond my budget for this project.)If you find you haven't quite the right spare head.Making one more wouldn't be much of an issue.