Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:49:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689478
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sellswords and Spellslingers Question  (Read 651 times)

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Sellswords and Spellslingers Question
« on: September 15, 2019, 12:58:41 AM »
I normally consider myself a rather good rules reader, but this one has stumped me. Mind you, I only received the rules yesterday, but even after a third skim I can't find the answer.

How far do monsters move? There are cards that say the monsters will try to charge into contact - but how far is that? The base humanoid move seems to be 4", but I'm unclear how many actions monsters are considered to have used; so, do they move 4" (seems pretty wimpy), 8", or 12"? No information on the monster cards that I can see, can't find it in the rules...As I say, I'm stumped!

Thank you for any help with this!

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Re: Sellswords and Spellslingers Question
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 04:32:31 AM »
Monsters only get a single "activation" so if the move rate is 4" they can only move 4".
As it is common to fail an activation or two with each character monsters will move often enough (usually).
You can get odd situations where a monster may never move because the characters fail too few activations and the wrong cards come up.  On the other hand, I have played games where the characters haven't moved far from their starting positions due to failed activations and constantly battling new foes.

Monster frenzy is a powerful card for the enemy side.  Characters move one at a time.  The frenzy card allows all monsters to move.  Draw a couple of these in a row and you can be in trouble.

If you make the playing area too large you can run into problems of monsters starting too far away to ever come into contact.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 07:30:43 AM »
Most monsters move 4", some state a higher move on their card (for example the bear moves 6"). As Ethelred has said, they move one activation each time an appropriate card is drawn.

In my experience 3x3 feet is the idea size gaming space for 28mm, although I've used 4x3 for a particular scenario.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 01:38:20 PM »
Thank you both. As I say, I've only just received the game and thought a 4" move sounded rather short, that monsters would be awfully easy to outrun/outmanoeuvre. Clearly I have to get some figures on the table and give things a spin. Hmmm, and today is Sunday...  lol

Your comments are much appreciated!

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 03:15:47 PM »
Another question: what effect does cover have on ranged attacks? I'm thinking I saw cover gives a -2 to the DL roll, but now, naturally, I can't find it.  :-[ And maybe a -4 for heavy cover (in a window, etc.)? Is this correct?

EDIT: Found the answer on the QRS. Ranged attacks in cover appear to be -2!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 05:54:21 PM by Arundel »