Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:58:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689225
  • Total Topics: 118264
  • Online Today: 500
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 'French' artillery for Spain, in French uniform, but not in blue. Suggestions?  (Read 1490 times)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Hi guys,

I'm looking to do another battery of guns for the French in Spain but don't want French blue.

I already have the figures for my battery, as I was planning on three batteries of French foot artillery (two painted) but, now I rather fancy painting something a little different for battery number 3.

So, I'm probably looking at allied gunners in French foot artillery uniform but not in blue. If it isn't possible, perhaps with different coloured distinctions (facings / collar / cuffs / piping / etc.) for something that looks a bit different. Were there any allies that fit the bill?

I don't mind rounding the lozenge shaped pom pom into a round one, if that would be an issue.

I don't care which Corps it fought with; my only criteria are French style uniform and that it fought somewhere in the Peninsular between 1808 and 1813.

I've looked through my books, but can't find pictures of anything. A long on line search would be wasted if someone here can immediately help me. I don't want anyone going to any trouble to find something because, at worst, I'll simply paint the battery as French.

Thanks, and Keep Safe,

James

Offline schoey

• Scientist
Baden sent an artillery battery to Spain, at first they wore the German helmet, but soon ditched it and took to wearing French shako and very similar uniform.

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
Some of those Peninsular French artillery crews must have worn brown Spanish cloth at some point. Did none of the French artillery crews for French battalions get the experimental white uniforms? Maybe a regimental gun in white uniforms with red facings?

Also, the French coastal artillery crews had a lot of green. I know they had dark blue coats but with the green facings and trousers, it had to be different looking. Maybe the backstory is some coastal artillery crews got drafted or the uniforms got sent to the wrong unit.

I think Polish and Italian foot artillery wore green french style uniforms.

Didint Polish horse artillery also wear green french unis? Maybe even with a czapska?

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Interested to know what you come up with.  Just been sat painting my own French artillery.  I had intended to have a couple of a Dutch gun crews in my German division but early Baden is the way I’m thinking now simply as the Dutch were in blue too.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
What about Italians (green faced black)?  Not sure how much of it there was in the Peninsula, but there was certainly an Italian infantry division present.

http://www.rafaelpardoalmudi.com/images/figures/odd_grossbe/1812artpied01a.gif
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Baden artillery could work. Actually missed that pic, it's from Haythornethwaites book, isn't it.

Offline schoey

• Scientist
My picture was from the Blanford series, also the Baden regt was brigaded with the Nassau troops and the artillery stayed with the infantry.

Offline ian220756

• Librarian
Are you doing Vistula legion in your French Army James - if you are they had artillery - blue coat but yellow facings - pretty
Ian

Offline schoey

• Scientist
Nice artillery pics, never thought of Vistula, also did Neuchatal battalion have a small battery?

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
i would go with Italian Artillery quite versatile with their green uniform. t

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Thanks, guys.

Vistula, it is!

I am doing a couple of Vistula battalions (4th Regt.), so that would work nicely. They are very pretty, and I do love yellow and blue together as a combination in any event.

I also like that Italian uniform. I did think about a mixed Italian contingent - possibly because the lot from Naples were so truly awful that they tickled my fancy - and, if I ever up the number of French battalions (already done and in the lead pile) they will be Italians - so one for the future, pehaps.

When my French 'army' is done it will make the purists shudder because I haven't based it on an actual formation. As said in the original question, my only criteria was that units served in theatre - the infantry battalions (26 bought of which 16 are painted) for example:

French line (including 2 btns of Guard de Paris in white) x 10 (all painted)
French legere x 5 (3 painted)
French reserve grenadier x 2
Polish Vistula x 2
Swiss x 2
Nassau x 2 (on the work bench)
Hannovrienne (legere) x 1 (painted)
Irlandais (legere) x 1 (painted)
Du Midi (legere) x1 (painted)

I did think about doing a higher proportion of foreign troops, because I really did want to do five or six Italian units, but eventually settled on a third (9 foreign units to 17 French).

Offline Bryanbowdell

• Scientist
Thanks, guys.

Vistula, it is!

I am doing a couple of Vistula battalions (4th Regt.), so that would work nicely. They are very pretty, and I do love yellow and blue together as a combination in any event.

I also like that Italian uniform. I did think about a mixed Italian contingent - possibly because the lot from Naples were so truly awful that they tickled my fancy - and, if I ever up the number of French battalions (already done and in the lead pile) they will be Italians - so one for the future, pehaps.

When my French 'army' is done it will make the purists shudder because I haven't based it on an actual formation. As said in the original question, my only criteria was that units served in theatre - the infantry battalions (26 bought of which 16 are painted) for example:

French line (including 2 btns of Guard de Paris in white) x 10 (all painted)
French legere x 5 (3 painted)
French reserve grenadier x 2
Polish Vistula x 2
Swiss x 2
Nassau x 2 (on the work bench)
Hannovrienne (legere) x 1 (painted)
Irlandais (legere) x 1 (painted)
Du Midi (legere) x1 (painted)

I did think about doing a higher proportion of foreign troops, because I really did want to do five or six Italian units, but eventually settled on a third (9 foreign units to 17 French).

That's my philosophy, I've gone for hannoverian legion, hannoverian chasseurs, garde De paris, and guns crewed by a mix of artillery and artillery train, and a unit of those blue coated French cavalry from sharpe!!

https://wigangames.club/forum/index.php?thread/595-corrupted-by-will-vive-le-emperor/

Any chance of some photos when they're done?

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
Nice artillery pics, never thought of Vistula, also did Neuchatal battalion have a small battery?

The Neuchatel gunners wore all blue, like the French artillerie a pied.