Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:41:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Osprey - The Great Chevauchee, John of Guant's Raid on France  (Read 2127 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Osprey - The Great Chevauchee, John of Guant's Raid on France
« on: September 16, 2019, 04:37:36 PM »
All,
      Now that I've got an order in to Claymore, I am reading about the early Hundred Years War.  Is the above Osprey Raid title worth getting?  I wonder, does the Kindle version have the illustrations?

Nick

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Osprey - The Great Chevauchee, John of Guant's Raid on France
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 05:47:36 PM »
All,
      Now that I've got an order in to Claymore, I am reading about the early Hundred Years War.  Is the above Osprey Raid title worth getting?  I wonder, does the Kindle version have the illustrations?

Nick

I can't comment about the Kindle but the Osprey isn't bad as far as Ospreys go. It's an interesting title for the Raid series as ultimately John of Gaunt's raid achieved little.

Worth adding to the collection if you're interested in the HYW.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 05:40:56 PM »
I am planning on doing small skirmishes, raids and the like, so overall histories are not really what I am after. Historical novels will more do the trick.

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 06:39:49 PM »
I’ve got a few ospreys in kindle format I think as they were very cheap. The text and smaller illustrations are fine, but maps seem to suffer, I think as they are often multi-page in the print version and can end up as multiple small images in the kindle version. The colour plates are OK.

I’ve only read these on an iPad, so with a good colour screen. I wouldn’t want to look at the illustrations and plates on a traditional kindle.

The bigger downside, is that I forget I have them, as they aren’t on the bookcase to see and to flick through.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 09:14:12 AM »
I am planning on doing small skirmishes, raids and the like, so overall histories are not really what I am after. Historical novels will more do the trick.

Ah, right......

The only fiction I've read regarding the HYW was Bernard Cornwell's Azincourt, which was OK. Not particularly good but not terrible as a piece of fiction.

I'm afraid that I haven't really read anything else fiction wise but would be interesting in hearing if there's anything (better) out there(?)

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 04:46:29 PM »
The Sumption books are very detailed, at times covering the period almost day by day, and do cover the smaller scale actions and have lots of ideas both for scenarios and the background to possible scenarios. But light reading they ain’t, no matter how much I like reading them.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 05:01:19 PM »
Ah, right......

The only fiction I've read regarding the HYW was Bernard Cornwell's Azincourt, which was OK. Not particularly good but not terrible as a piece of fiction.

I'm afraid that I haven't really read anything else fiction wise but would be interesting in hearing if there's anything (better) out there(?)

Its Sharpe with longbow  lol

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 05:56:27 AM »
Its Sharpe with longbow  lol

Yeah, I was trying to be polite about it  lol lol lol

The Sumption books are very detailed, at times covering the period almost day by day, and do cover the smaller scale actions and have lots of ideas both for scenarios and the background to possible scenarios. But light reading they ain’t, no matter how much I like reading them.

The best available in terms of detail.

Although not marketed as such they are essentially academic tomes.

I love them. Sumption certainly looks at the dynastic conflicts between the rival houses in the broadest and in most detailed capacity.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 10:39:55 PM »
Can you give me a link to Sumpton?  I started reading Jonathan Lunn's "Martin Kemp" series, seems decent, but not great.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 10:44:19 PM by NickNascati »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 06:54:40 AM »
Can you give me a link to Sumpton?  I started reading Jonathan Lunn's "Martin Kemp" series, seems decent, but not great.

Here you go, from an earlier post on this thread  ;) :)

I'd just like to add that if you're interest holds quite deeply in the HYW, the best studies to my mind thus far are:

Trial by Battle: The Hundred Years War, Vol. 1: Trial by Battle v. 1, Jonathan Sumption:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trial-Battle-Hundred-Years-Vol/dp/0571200958

Hundred Years War Vol 2: Trial By Fire: Trial by Fire v. 2, Jonathan Sumption:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hundred-Years-War-Vol-Trial/dp/0571207375/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VJXVBZEVJ3XYAFQ9YB5T

Hundred Years War Vol 3: Divided Houses, Jonathan Sumption:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hundred-Years-War-Vol-Divided/dp/0571240127/ref=pd_bxgy_14_3/258-1378316-0516954?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0571240127&pd_rd_r=0fa67928-33a9-4c85-93a8-93386774a168&pd_rd_w=5PFBQ&pd_rd_wg=00Eof&pf_rd_p=7a9d3b22-47b7-4932-be38-57f4219c3325&pf_rd_r=J0JP029FHM9RADBQ1NWT&psc=1&refRID=J0JP029FHM9RADBQ1NWT

Hundred Years War Vol 4: Cursed Kings, Jonathan Sumption:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hundred-Years-War-Vol-Cursed/dp/0571274560/ref=pd_sbs_14_3/258-1378316-0516954?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0571274560&pd_rd_r=19145288-45c3-41af-a1ca-f6c45bd873a9&pd_rd_w=VcAmH&pd_rd_wg=qgcB2&pf_rd_p=2b420a2f-6593-478e-8b5f-cb43865ff16f&pf_rd_r=QR9K8MDQMEF55RNYFMPM&psc=1&refRID=QR9K8MDQMEF55RNYFMPM

With Part V being published, if memory serves, sometime next year.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 10:00:26 AM »
Interestingly, French texts do not call him "Jean de Gand" but most often "le duc de Lancastre" or "Lancastre" which is often confusing as the same title also passed to others.
When I first heard about this Osprey book some years ago I didn't even know who Jean de Gand was although I had read many books mentioning the Duke of Lancaster's actions in France and in Brittany.