Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:38:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690596
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Little Hatred,Joe Abercrombie’s New Book  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
A Little Hatred,Joe Abercrombie’s New Book
« on: September 16, 2019, 10:13:53 PM »
Hurrah,the new Circle of the World book has arrived on my Kindle,it’s snowing,I’m about to light the fire,happy days!
And this leads to the question about miniatures,in particular for the Union, descriptions,lead me to think that ECW figures would suit sans firearms,replacing them with crossbows(flatbows),whilst the cavalry I would use WOTR, suitably converted,officers are often described in a almost 19th century uniform,however I think a compromise is best,so ECW it is.
Other states are easily done,for instance Talins I think would be fine using 15th century figures,as for Northmen,well easy peasy  ;)
Any thought?
Cheero
Guy
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 12:44:38 PM by Blackwolf »
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
Re: A Little Hatred,Joe Abercrombie’s New Book
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 09:40:11 AM »
Based on the previous books I'd use Perry WOTR for most Union troops. Kings Own and officers might warrant ECW models.

Talins would definitely be WOTR pikes.

I'd use Victrix vikings for Northmen and maybe Gauls for Easterners and Hillmen (Possibly ogres for Stranger Come Knocking or Crummock-i-Phail).

Shanka could be built from Frostgrave Gnolls, maybe with some Mantic zombies or Ghouls mixed in.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 09:37:17 PM »
Interesting reply Munindk. As it is I’m planning on doing miniatures circa Heroes,so no Shanka,and I think not about the Gnolls.
I shall possibly use some tricornes etc on my Union chaps,and probably no ‘puffy’ trews.
Half way through the book,many old names make an appearance,highly recommended.
Cheero
Guy

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 03:24:48 AM »
I'm only a few chapters in and loving every moment.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 09:26:49 AM »
I''ve reread all the other books this year in preparation for the new series.

Miniatures wise I'm thinking that the North would make a great setting for a skirmish campaign. It would even work for an alternative setting for RoSD.

Talins would be a good place for a big mapbased campaign with bigger armies.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 11:12:49 AM »
Just got my hardback copy. A couple of chapters in, and feeling a bit slow to start but I’m sure it’ll pick up. Wonderful to be back in this First Law world again, apparently with the offspring of several of our favourite characters from previous volumes...

It’ll have to go some way to better ‘Best Served Cold’ for me though. One of my all time favourite books. Bring back Monza!  :)

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 11:44:08 AM »
Would love a decent range of figures for The First Law from someone - but only if they work with Abercrombie so they fit into how he sees them...
Very tempted to re-read the whole lot.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 01:24:43 PM »
I've re-read Best Served Cold about 6 times already  lol

It's a weird and interesting aspect of Abercrombie's world-building that the cultures of his various protagonist lands seem so radically diverse and yet somehow work together. Hard to represent on the wargames table though. The Northmen are basically classic fur-and-leather-clad, axe-wielding fantasy barbarians. Whereas the Union are sophisticated, uniformed mid-C19th (?) types. Gurkhul is basically Ottoman Turkey at its zenith, Styria is late medieval / renaissance / Italian Wars-ish. And then there are cowboys (Red Country) and much else besides. The Old Empire is God knows what? Basically he's created complete hodge-podge of wildly different cultural archetypes, which I suppose is what makes it interesting. Miraculously it all manages to hang together, because the author never really goes into the costume / uniform / armour detail in any great depth. It's all kept pretty sketchy superficial (except for some explicit things like the Union's 'duelling steels').

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 02:37:47 PM »
Love this series, the characters are awesome, Logan ninefingers is a great character.

Offline The Lost Legionary

• Schoolboy
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 02:57:35 PM »
The tone is obviously different, but there is a hefty dollop of Discworld influence the world building which I think enables the way quite disparate cultures are presented in close proximity. I struggled a bit with the setting in Red Country and the not-Native Americans (I fear something's a bit wrong with me here because Christian Cameron's Sossag in the Traitor Son cycle sit oddly with me too).

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 03:44:21 PM »
I've re-read Best Served Cold about 6 times already  lol

It's a weird and interesting aspect of Abercrombie's world-building that the cultures of his various protagonist lands seem so radically diverse and yet somehow work together. Hard to represent on the wargames table though. The Northmen are basically classic fur-and-leather-clad, axe-wielding fantasy barbarians. Whereas the Union are sophisticated, uniformed mid-C19th (?) types. Gurkhul is basically Ottoman Turkey at its zenith, Styria is late medieval / renaissance / Italian Wars-ish. And then there are cowboys (Red Country) and much else besides. The Old Empire is God knows what? Basically he's created complete hodge-podge of wildly different cultural archetypes, which I suppose is what makes it interesting. Miraculously it all manages to hang together, because the author never really goes into the costume / uniform / armour detail in any great depth. It's all kept pretty sketchy superficial (except for some explicit things like the Union's 'duelling steels').

I obviously don't post enough, because I completely forgot what my nom de plume is on here...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 04:06:03 PM »
I obviously don't post enough, because I completely forgot what my nom de plume is on here...

lol

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 10:59:03 AM »
You have to be realistic...
Well I finished the novel far too quickly,have to have a re-read in a week or two.
What is always brilliant about Joe Abercrombie’s books,is the way he makes unlikeable  characters likeable ,and he doesn’t have to explain everything,roll on the next book.

PS Heroes is my fave :D

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 09:43:51 PM »
Another vote for 'Heroes'.

After the First Law Trilogy, of course.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2019, 09:22:24 AM »
Another vote for 'Heroes'.

After the First Law Trilogy, of course.

Indeed. Fave character Dentatus ? Mine change, lol At the moment it’s back to Shivers,and I wonder if Curnden Craw will make it back? He maybe a little old...