Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:09:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690445
  • Total Topics: 118331
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Old school Warhammer miniatures and houserules  (Read 5461 times)

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
Old school Warhammer miniatures and houserules
« on: September 18, 2019, 12:47:50 PM »
Always looking for that perfect match ruleset, I tried lately Battlesworn with a friend. On a positive side, it does play out quickly. On negative side, I felt the system was too abstract. It can't differentiate between let's say a sword and a double-handed sword. If one wants to use large monster figures - the likes of ogres, rat ogres, dragon ogres, fimirs, trolls and minotaurs - the system quickly runs out of scale. The meta-game of bidding used represents nothing on the imaginary battlefield. Moreover, in dungeon style battles it has tendency to cause some troopers to linger unused in the deployment zone, for the system allows only some models to act each turn. I applaude the bold intent to revolutionarise the fantasy wargaming, but our gaming group won't ditch the classic Warhammer yet.

Our gaming group uses currently WFB4, with some heavy house-ruling (updated 7.2.2020):
1 ) magic: spells are always chosen, D6 magic cards per spellcaster regardless of level and usable for that spell caster only, spells other than dispels are used in spell caster's own turn only one spell phase per complete round (both players), spell are cast in wizard power level order, if the same then Ld comparison, then I comparison, if the same still then thrown D6 gives the order for that spell phase
2 ) movement: inviduals move as skirmishers, no bitching about fraction of an inch when one corner of unit hits a terrain feature or enemy unit, units making contact can be freely wheeled in to make maxmimum contact for melee purposes, units wider than one figure can snake too as long as contact is retained by at least one file, units moving completely on road triple their movement and this includes also bridges and level town squares, all troops can skirmish in and around buildings, climbing and jumping as per Mordheim
3 ) shooting:  all spears can be thrown as per the often missed rule on page 24
4 ) melee: anybody can just walk into melee, Weapon Skill and weapon length decide who hits first just as Initiative does, armour save modifier starts at 5 6 to make armour relevant at all, one can kill only those in contact unless larger than enemy or using spears, of caught fleeing enemy troops only those are destroyed that are physically contacted by pursuers' movement
5 ) combat results: both standard and musician give +1, ranks are counted starting from first one (to make the calculation smooth), maximum rank bonus is not limited to 3 but is the same as the width of the formation
6 ) armour saves taken before to wound roll (which is more logical), horse mount itself does not give armor bonus but barding does, please see armour classes of the later post
7 ) any humanoid/biological/daemonic entity can be wounded with natural roll of 6 regardless of Strength-Toughness disparity, this does not include buildings or mechanical entities like warmachines, chariots, animated statues like golems etc (e.g. even dragons can be gradually killed with a ton of missile fire from bows and crossbows)
8 ) armies: model basing is freeform, army lists can be mixed freely as long as one finds point costs from some official WFB2-4 WFB1-5 list or is able to extrapolate them out of some officially given point costs and formulas
9 ) battles: no victory points, all games have short background and plot to them, special scenarios like an ambush can be played also, games are integrated into larger backdrop of D&D or some other roleplaying game campaign (i.e. what happens elsewhere in the fantasy world, with battle results affecting the general situation the players enter in D&D).

With the above changes the almost-there gaming system suddenly becomes quite good: it can handle games both small and large, the core rule structure is still familiar to large amount of players, already acquired army books can be used as such and there are little to no absurdities typical of standard Notthinghamian wargame rules doctrine. We have been also discussing if the whole concept of failed charge should be removed as well, as it doesn't seem to represent anything in the real physical world.

Personally I would love to take it even further towards Tuomas Pirinen's Warhammer Skirmish/Mordheim and Rick Priestley's original WFB1: to differentiate on one hand between a club and an axe, or on another hand differentiate between a helmeted and a non-helmeted warrior; have characters with full name, sex, background, money and mission akin to role playing games. One option is to try out a game of WFB4, but use WH40K2 for melee rules and rules for medieval arms and armour from the 2nd edition Chaos Codex. In this sense Warhammer core rule system is quite versatile and scales well. Unlike many alternative fantasy rulesets that seem to favour abstractions over metrics and often have the level of play hardcoded into them - in contrast to the original fantasy wargame (sigh).

Took couple of generic miniature photo shots today, they're all copyleft so feel free to use them in websites and publications if you like.

If anyone has nice shots of fantasy miniatures of the old school aesthetics, but do not wish to start a new topic, feel free to share them here. No need to be Citadel puritanist, I have included Marauder and Ral Partha figures in my own shots as well.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 04:40:55 PM by Nordic1980s »

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
Re: Old school fantasy miniatures and rulesets
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 01:04:46 PM »
Painted some Warhammer elves in the McVey tradition, ready to secure the Mirkwood woodlands from monsters.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 01:35:41 PM »
The old Warhammer Fantasy Regiments box!

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 03:01:43 PM »
Yes! I like these classic Citadel models very much: generic, good looking models that could depict all kinds of elves. Not too many parts (I have chosen similar hooded heads out of the three options provided on the box. They could also be tall mortal men, the likes of rangers and guardsmen, as no eartips are shown on the models.

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 08:50:42 PM »
I like Warhammer’s core rule engines (but not army lists) for the following reasons:
    • one model represents one character
    • generic archetypes
    • rule mechanisms mostly represent real world physics
    • no abstract activation mechanisms that leave most troops in frozen state
    • meaningful metrics that allows for easy extrapolation
    • relatively easily allows for extrapolation into different genres
    • allows for different game sizes from skirmishes to several companies of soldiers
    • uses D6 for most rolls.

I grew up playing Warhammers and I personally consider this above list the very basic required level for a decent 1/56 scale, or 25-32mm, fantasy and scifi wargame. When I have looked at competing systems, there were couple of bright innovation but sadly most failed the check at the elementary level list above. No wonder they hardly ever became new gold standards and most vanished into obscurity for understandable reasons: they were more impractical than Warhammer, not less so.

That all being said, there is one major flaw in the Warhammer system that results in power level glitches in both the Fantasy and WH40K variants, but less so in more narrow skirmish variants like Mordheim, Necromunda and Warhammer Skirmish. And sadly, to remedy this issue with house ruling is impossible without discarding all the established point costs and major re-write of bestiaries. So perhaps a new game rule system is needed, after all – a Warhammer core system update 2.0.

The issue is that most of Warhammer’s statistics for troops and weapons are limited to numerical 1-10 range. And save for few demon princes with 11+ values, this 1-10 range should represent anything from a cat bite to a titan defence laser. Which in theory squashes the range available to let’s say modern small arms to a very limited bandwith within that range.

To make things worse, for some odd reason the established troop and weapon types cluster at specific numerical values:
    • majority of troops and weapons are in the 3-4 value range
    • most Leadership scores are in the 7-10 range
    • most armour saves group at 5+ to 6+
    • most weapon Strengths group at 3-4 range
    • most dragon, vampire and greater daemon scores group at 7.

This means that under the standard game mechanics most troops in all Warhammer games cluster into same narrow bandwith. Which makes it impossible to differentiate meaningfully between most practically useable power levels whether it’s the troops or the weapons they wield. The system is able to easily differentiate between a superman and an average fellow. But not between two ordinary fellows, whom it recognises as average due tue inherent blindness.

A good example of this phenomena is that in WH40K it’s about the same to be punched by a human fist (S3), to have fragmentation grenade explode near your head (S3) and to be shot with assault rifle (S3). Or in Realms of Chaos warbands, the leaders of a small backwoods bandit groups can be as good fighter as the world championship fighters – who should at least in theory be rare.

Compared to most other 1/56 scale wargaming rules, Warhammer can cope relatively easily with different game sizes. Whether it’s a small gang or full-blown armies with giant robots and tanks, it can handle it. That’s quite rare for a wargame! Now, if Warhammer rules would allow for better scaling of metrics and power lever differentiation, it would totally own the field in this regard – a pure 10/10 experience.

One solution is to extend attributes beyond 10 for troop and weapon types that represent otherwordly, supernatural or gigantic forces. This in turn would allow the 1-10 to be divided a new time and more equally. Weapon Skill 10 would not be that of a Bloodthirster, but that of a 1000 year old elven warlord. Toughnesses 1 to 2 would be given to small animals and snotlings, with perhaps hobbits and dwarfs having 3. A small or weak human would have Strength 3, a normal human 4, a strong human 5 and a top-level Schwarzenegger perhaps 6. It would be a point to use a ”hand weapon” to differentiate it from a fist punch. Or to use an assault rifle (autogun) instead of a mere fist punch.

This would be blessing for people who like to play small skirmish level games and allow for roleplay style characters: am I weak or strong? Do I choose knife or sword? An axe or a mace? Mail armour or scale armour? A Chaos warband where ordinary members can have inviduality to their attributes (if wanted) and not be just another D6 average followers.

Edit: corrected spelling.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 03:59:22 PM by Nordic1980s »

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 09:25:18 PM »
Nice topic and I really like your take on the house rules in the original post. I too tend to dislike abstract rulesets, where it doesn;t feel like it matter what models I plonk on the table anyway. Whenever I play a ruleset like this I miss the fun. I feel this in modern versions of Warhammer 40k (3rd and later) but also modern sets like Ambush Alley. Contrasting these are rulesets where an individual model or choice has a place and a story unfolds while playing. Warhammer is such a ruleset (versions older than 6th edition more so) but I also greatly enjoyed Combat Zone and VOID (in the SF spectrum).

I also like the pictures, especially the skeleton conversions with two-handed swords. Simple but very effective!

Regarding the scale of Warhammer I feel that a greater differentiation in characteristics would be difficult to combine with the wish to use mostly D6's. There are different systems where D20's (Warzone) or D10's (VOID) are the norm, and these allow for some more stretch in the characteristics. There may also be D12-based systems but I can't think of any at the moment. Based on my experience a D10-system has a good balance between the occurence and predictability of criticals (10% chance is small enough in a game) while not really making relying on criticals a viable tactic (Combat Zone has a 6 as auto-hit and this can favour fielding lots of cheap models). Blood Bowl also relies on the 1 and 6 as auto-fail and auto-success but it's balanced by a turnover system where a fail ends your turn.

Anyway, nice topic, Battlesworn doesn't seem like my cup of tea but your Warhammer interpretation seems fun. Regarding modifications of Warhammer there is also a fan version called Warhammer Renaissance which seems an attempt to balance 4th edition and expand it with units from other editions:
https://warhammerrenaissance.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/229862157776959/

I haven't played it but it seems like a good effort. I personally am playin Kings of War at the moment but as a game it definately has a much higher level of abstraction than Warhammer.
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 10:07:18 PM »
Interesting topic - and great miniatures!

I really like Battlesworn, but it's a very different sort of game from Warhammer: more of a chess-like game that allows you to play with miniatures. The better comparison, I think, would be Of Armies and Hordes (by the same author), which is great.

I haven't played Warhammer since coming across Hordes of the Things at the end of my first wargaming 'career'. I have the first and third-edition books, along with the first edition of 40K, but have never been tempted back to play it with the kids, simply because I remember it taking so long to play. I have played a more modern iteration (Kill Team), but found that its combat system gave a smaller range of results than (e.g.) Song of Blades and Heroes - and from a much more onerous number of dice rolls. I do think that modern small-skirmish games (Song of Blades, Rogue Planet, Pulp Alley, Fistful of Lead, etc.) produce much more dynamic fights.

For bigger battles, the main change I'd make to Warhammer is to introduce alternating unit activations. I think that would give a much more engaging game (set against memories of dwindling Saturday afternoons as one waited foreverfor one's opponent to finish his turn).

I would, though, allow coordinated advances/charges for nearby units (no more than 6" separation?) if each unit can pass an Ld test. So you would get a long line of elves advancing in unison more readily than a mob of orcs. Units that failed the Ld test wouldn't move that turn. That would give you a choice of automatically activating each unit individually by alternating with your oppoent or trying to coordinate a bigger action at the risk of forfeiting some movement. I'd move from left to right or vice versa with this; if a unit breaks the 'chain', it loses its move and ends the coordinated movement, but units that hadn't yet attempted an Ld test could be activated as normal after the opponent activates a unit (or fails in a coordinated advance/charge).

A mechanism of this sort would make more use of Warhammer's long statline. You could expand on that, perhaps by adapting mechanisms from Dragon Rampant. For example, skirmishers could provoke a Cl test by moving within charge range and taunting the foe before retreating; the skirmishers would need to pass a Ld test to carry out the manoeuvre successfully, and the provoked unit would need to pass a Cl test to avoid a 'wild charge'. That would make skirmishers much more useful; I recall that they seemed to have almost no purpose in the game as we played it. And you might impose penalties for the Cl test for troops subject to Frenzy or Stupidity - offsetting the advantages that all those hobgoblins, trollslayers and berserkers get in combat!

One odd thing about Warhammer is that it didn't really improve from edition to edition - mechanically, at least (the publishing quality certainly improved). Second edition isn't very different from first edition mechanically (it may even offer less), but it has terrific scenarios. Third is overly complex. I don't know how it changed thereafter.

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 05:12:13 PM »
Good remarks from both of you Pil and Hobgoblin!
I too tend to dislike abstract rulesets, where it doesn;t feel like it matter what models I plonk on the table anyway.
This! I prefer a game where I can say to the other player: "See that plasma pistol I converted during last night's modelling hours for that space Ork model? I'm using it for this attack I now roll." And if I wanted a quick flowing game with little grit into it, I could always choose to wield instead 20 basic space Orks with standard equipment moulded on the miniature figures (a gamer choice).

Regarding the scale of Warhammer I feel that a greater differentiation in characteristics would be difficult to combine with the wish to use mostly D6's. ... Based on my experience a D10-system has a good balance between the occurence and predictability of criticals
This is very true and was lately brought up by our group. D10 dice are relatively easily available as sets and are very intuitive, as most people are familiar with percentage system and some schools used or still use 4-10 exam scaling whereby 4 is fail and 10 perfect score. D6 dice win on cheapness and easy availability, also with precision dice availability. (Our gaming group are not precision dice puritans in sense that everyone must use precision dice. Again, a gamer choice up to invidual player.)

The coming future Oathmark rules seem to use D10 for similar purposes.

Regarding modifications of Warhammer there is also a fan version called Warhammer Renaissance ...
Was not aware, thanks! Use of house rules is often mentioned, but few people write out what they actually mean with them. It'll be interesting to give look at what other players would modify.

I really like Battlesworn, but it's a very different sort of game from Warhammer: more of a chess-like game that allows you to play with miniatures.
Now that is an accurate description of the game. I still think it's a very innovative game in its own class, but not substitute for basic Warhammer even for smaller platoon or warband size games.

For bigger battles, the main change I'd make to Warhammer is to introduce alternating unit activations. ... I would, though, allow coordinated advances/charges for nearby units (no more than 6" separation?) if each unit can pass an Ld test. So you would get a long line of elves advancing in unison more readily than a mob of orcs.
Sounds good and would not break any published army lists either. Could the latter be tied into, or explained as, some sort of command system? Like where you would also get bonuses for standards, musicians and high level commanding officers of the same race (e.g. an elf commanding an elf unit)? There is very little formal command and order giving in Warhammer, but that element could bring some of it into the game while not burdening the players with pre-written orders, order chits and like.

I don't know how it changed thereafter.
The overall system became more snappy and less cumbersome, but sadly (to my mind, anyway) spells were always to be randomly dealt and most army lists were depleted of several troop types Citadel itself had been producing and selling a mere moment ago. Whole armies re-written in army lists to force players to ditch the old models for tournament play (cough Chaos Dwarfs cough non-Lasgun Eldar). I think the 8th edition, the last one before the whole Old World going KA-BOOM, finally said explicitly what to do with units that had withered to just one trooper (they move like characters). lol
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 05:14:25 PM by Nordic1980s »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 05:48:48 PM »
Now that is an accurate description of the game. I still think it's a very innovative game in its own class, but not substitute for basic Warhammer even for smaller platoon or warband size games.

Yes: Battlesworn is very much its own thing. We only play it occasionally, but when we do, we tend to get really into it and play lots of games. I don't think it really scratches the same itch as any other game.

Sounds good and would not break any published army lists either. Could the latter be tied into, or explained as, some sort of command system? Like where you would also get bonuses for standards, musicians and high level commanding officers of the same race (e.g. an elf commanding an elf unit)? There is very little formal command and order giving in Warhammer, but that element could bring some of it into the game while not burdening the players with pre-written orders, order chits and like.

Yes - I wonder if you could have something like a musician giving a +1 to Ld for group advances (so units with Ld10 leaders would only fail on a 12). I forget what standard bearers do in Warhammer (do they add a rank bonus or something like that in combat?), but I'd have standards helping rallies (or helping against routing) and musicians helping with manoeuvre. I think a system like this would bring the psychological bit of the statline into play a bit more - so that you could have well-led and drilled troops who are less formidable in actual fighting. That distinction doesn't occur that much in Warhammer (at least as I remember it); elves always had very high WS and I, etc. It might be more interesting to allow them to have lower fighting stats but much more chance of making coordinated attacks.

I'd also go back to one of the earlier editions (maybe first?), which had variable hero profiles By third edition, all heroes of a given level had the same profile. But I think it would be better to have heroes with slightly randomised or uneven stats, so that not all heroes are very strong or tough, for example, while others might be less skilful but would be physically imposing. Others might just have great psychological stats. It might be Forces of Fantasy that has that system - I can't remember now (it wasn't used in any of the games we actually played).

The overall system became more snappy and less cumbersome, but sadly (to my mind, anyway) spells were always to be randomly dealt and most army lists were depleted of several troop types Citadel itself had been producing and selling a mere moment ago. Whole armies re-written in army lists to force players to ditch the old models for tournament play (cough Chaos Dwarfs cough non-Lasgun Eldar). I think the 8th edition, the last one before the whole Old World going KA-BOOM, finally said explicitly what to do with units that had withered to just one trooper (they move like characters). lol

I've always thought that the publication of Ravening Hordes (for the second edition of the game) was, in retrospect, a real shame. Before that, the game was much more freewheeling; the pictures in the third edition show lots of weirdness like an orc hero riding a huge flightless bird. In second edition, statting up things like that yourself was actively encouraged. But after Ravening Hordes, official army list became the norm.

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 01:26:50 PM »
A mighty mechanical roar was heard in the mountaneus ash wastes ... a hulking cybernetic monster - a half-man, half-beast - was seen strolling around, as if something was afoot. Suddenly thunderous words "Bronze, third rank" were heard from the sky, with a massive hand of Gork descending from the sky to lay a bronze medallion onto the beast's neck - even the chief warlock of the nearby Work In Progress orc tribe came to attend this rare occurance.

Next episode: armour penetration, instead of armour save, in Warhammer.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 01:39:43 PM by Nordic1980s »

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 10:41:25 PM »
Armour penetration in Warhammer

Applicable to all classic editions of the game, including the WH40K variant. Instead of defending player attempting to save a model, the attacking player tries to penetrate the target model's armour. This house rule fixes the following minor bugs in the core system:
  • wrong order: armour penetration ought to happen before Strength-Toughness check, just as with power fields in WH40K
  • unintuitive ranking: in this new fix high armour class is always better and players aim to roll high scores, as with most other game mechanisms
  • slow: with players no longer exchanging dice with armour saves of each and every rank'n'file member, the combat phase becames a lot smoother.
The armour penetration house rule
The term 'armour save' is replaced by term 'armour class', short form 'AC'.
The term 'armour saving throw modifier' is replaced by the term 'armour class modifier', short form 'ACM'.
Armour save phase of the old combat rules is replaced with armour penetration phase, taking place after a hit has been established and any supernatural/psychic/force field saves have been taken, but always before to wound rolls.

The attacking player, after having established the hits and penetrated any possible field saves, attempts to roll on D6 higher (more) than the target's armour class (AC). The defending player must tell the dice rolling player of any possible armour saves that are unrecognisable from the model figure itself, e.g. hidden by a cloak or robes, or special in nature, as in magical/psychical in nature or based on special character's special rules (just as with the standard rules).

In WFB:
no armour or just a helmet AC0*
light armour, mail etc. AC1
heavy armour, plate AC2
daemonic save AC3
mount barding AC+1
shield AC+1.

In WH40K2:
no armour or just a helmet AC0*
flak armour, bulletproof vests etc. AC1
mesh armour AC2
Tyranid warrior carapace AC2
Genestealer chitinious armour AC2
Lictor exoskeleton AC2 unmodified
carapace armour, Hive Tyrant carapace AC3
Ork 'eavy armour AC3
Eldar rune armour AC3 unmodified
daemonic aura AC3 unmodified expect against psychic/force attacks
power armour AC4 (WH40K1: AC3)
Eldar Avatar iron body AC5, minimum save always AC3 (WH40K1: cannot sustain more than D4 wounds per hit)
Squat exo-armour AC10 on 2D6
terminator tactical dreadnought armour AC11 on 2D6 (WH40K1: AC5 on D6, minimum save always AC1)
Carnifex chitinious body AC11 on 2D6.

Field saves:
refractor AC2 unmodified
conversion, chaplain's rosarius AC3 unmodified
displacer AC4
power field AC5 unmodified.

Shields:
primitive shield AC+1 against primitive weapons
storm shield AC3 unmodified
suppression shield AC+2.

WH40K1 buildings:
brick, stone, concrete etc. AC2.

*Players may opt to an additional house sub-rule that miniature models inside a collapsing building get a AC+1 bonus for wearing a hard helmet of any type (WH40K1 p. 37, WH40K2 p. 91, WFB3 p. 136, WFB4 p. 85). This costs no points and is based on WYSIWYG look of the actual miniature model figure (a helmet on head or not). Soft caps, hats, coifs and padded headgear do not count for this purpose.

Natural saves, like monster or lizardmen scales give same relative AC as the old armour save. I.e. 5+ save becomes AC2, or 2 scores out of possible 6 scores. Use same logic for any possible magic armours, special character armours and magical/psychic saves.

ACM is always calculated into the AC, never into the D6 or 2D6 dice score. The dice score is always read straight from the visible dice face(s), with no added dice score fudging or mathematical operations.

Next episode: command and control in Warhammer.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 12:39:23 PM by Nordic1980s »

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Re: Old school fantasy miniatures and rulesets (Warhammer houserules)
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 10:43:36 AM »
Really interesting stuff. I am currently rewriting Warhammer FB 2ed for myself, principally as a solo ruleset so I can play the old campaigns such as Bloodbath at Orcs drift, but in a more streamlined and slightly more modern way (whilst retaining the warhammer vibe). Using the design principles from things such as the Black Hack.

Currently contemplating whether or not a command and control mechanism would be too much of a deviation.

Will be watching your progress with interest!

Offline Darksider

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2020, 12:30:45 PM »
Very interesting thread ;). Inspired me to get the old 5th edition whfb books and to try some games soon =).

I only will change how troops move, they will all run around as skirmishers. Hope that won't break the game in some way.

They say we come from nothing and to nothing we will return, but in between is gravity and bridges left to burn.

They worshipped, so they said, the Great Old Ones who lived ages before there were any men, and who came to the young world out of the sky.

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2020, 05:54:21 PM »
Command and control in Warhammer

Here is an example of how to embed limited command and control elements into Warhammer games, without bogging it down with pre-written orders and littering the gaming table with command markers. As musicians in traditional Warhammer rules are pretty weak from point cost efficiency point of view, they're now more usable within the standard double points cost.

Characters
Each character gets additional commands for each player's own turn, based on his rank and status:
Skaven Verminlord, Wood elf Orion and Ariel, Undead Nagash: 3*
Chaos greater daemon, daemon prince: 1*
lord or general: 3
hero: 2
champion: 1
army standard bearer: 0.

*These are not cumulative with the lord or general status, so these characters only get total of 3 additional commands even if they're functioning as generals for their sides.

These commands can be used by the player as he wishes during his own turn for the following purposes, very much akin to undead spell Vanhel's Dance Macabre:
- to immediately move single unit up to full normal movement value, must be used within the movement - remaining moves phase and not to bring troops to close combat
- to immediately shoot one volley of fire as normal with one unit, must be used within the shooting phase
- to immediately fight one additional round of hand-to-hand combat with one unit already in hand-to-hand combat, must be used within the hand-to-hand combat phase.

The benefits go also to any characters attached to the unit the command is given into, as so far they not limited by the following limits. Note that normal limits to weapon usage do apply, so for example crossbowmen can't shoot if they moved this turn and so on.

Limits:
- additional commands may only be used within the same army and not to allies
- Chaos greater daemons and demon princes may only use the additional commands to command daemonic troops of the same specific power
- mortal Chaos champion with mark of some specific deity may use commands only to mortal troops of that specific power (led by a character with the mark of a chaos power or with a magic standard of some specific chaos deity)
- champions may use the command only to his own unit, even if with musician nearby (see below)
- heroes may use the command to units up to 6" away
- lords, generals and special characters of equal rank may use the command to units up to 12" away
- if the character has an instrument as an magical item (e.g. Horn of Defiance, The Horn of Urgok, Pipes of Doom), or he is in base-to-base contact with a non-allied musician of his own side, the command distance grows by additional 6"
- commands may not be issued to a. fleeing troops, b. troops in close combat unless given the hand-to-hand combat command c. troops suffering from stupidity, d. troops suffering from spells or magical effects that hold them in place or cause them to be unresponsive (magic > commands), e. orcs and goblins suffering from animosity (for who 1 was rolled), f. troops whose movement is randomised (e.g. goblin fanatics, Norse berserkers, chaos spawns) or g. monsters, animals or animal swarms (pack masters can be commanded), h. any troops under anykind of special effect making them unresponsive, sleepy, confused or logically unable to respond to commands. All these limits apply also to the command givers.

The command distance is measured from the closest point between the command giver and the target unit, no LOS is needed as shouts can pass the ground level obstacles. The player makes a Ld test to use the points and gets a temporary +1 bonus to his Ld score if he is base-to-base contact with either an army standard bearer or unit standar bearer of his own side. Allied standard bearers do not count for this purposes.

If the roll succeeds, the unit does one of the three options above as how the player wishes. If the Ld roll fails, the command is lost for that turn and the same character may not issue any further commands that same turn, but may operate otherwise as normal. If the Ld roll is double 1, that is a total score of 2, the command fails as above, but in addition target unit is confused and may not do other than fight in close combat if attacked or compulsory psychological reactions (any associated characters are only affected if not limited by limits above).

An example of play
In a lush valley hidden between hills exists an old cemetery, where things are going to go bump in the following night. For an orc general has arrived therein, accompanied by his closest bodyguards, to make an alliance deal with cemetery's guardian vampiress, her pet werewolf and skeleton warriors. Unlucky for them, the orcs have been trailed by a wood elf unit, who have hastily warned the nearby human tribe of this evil. A battle ensues in broad daylight and »Beware the sacrilege» is shouted as the troops enter the cemetery grounds (first image).

On the good side (second image), the only personalities with allowance for the additional commands are the 1. human general on foot (12" range), 2. human champion on foot (immediate range) and 3. mounted human champion (immediate range). Of these only the mounted one has a standard bearer next to him and gets thus a +1 temporary bonus to his Ld score for purpose of giving additional commands - his position can be seen afar and the waving flag can be used to signal commands. Human sorceress gives no additional commands. Nor the allied elf wizard. Elves, despite being allies, do not benefit from human commands due to differences in language, military traditions and just general animosity between the different races. (»No blunt ear is going to tell us what to do...» the elves murmur.)

On the dark side (third image), personalities with allowance for the additional commands are the 1. orc general (12" range), 2. orc champion (immediate range) and 3. a vampire countess (hero level, 6" range). The orc can give additional commands only to their own green skinned folks, plus to any other theoretical troops of their same army list, but not to the allied undead skeletons. Likewise, the vampire countess can try to give commands only to the skeleton unit present. This works in addition to any possible Vanhel's Dance Macabre spells she has - note that commands as such are far more limited in use than the spell. The spell is a magical mean to make things happen and is not limited in same way.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 03:19:33 PM by Nordic1980s »

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
Re: Old school Warhammer miniatures and houserules
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 04:51:32 PM »
The Blue Moon orc tribe welcomes the freshly coloured warlock into its ranks. Waving a watering pot, the warlock summons dark clouds and rainfall at wish, being schooled in the tempestarii school of magick in addition to Morgothian dark arts. On his hat he wears something called bi disc, a jade amulet acquired from the far away Khitanese and Nipponese renegade wizards. Calling it an Ear of Heaven, the warlock claims he can communicate to spirits of the dead by talking through it...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 05:08:38 PM by Nordic1980s »