Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:47:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's SAGA Moors & Mutatawwi'a  (Read 39708 times)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: Koyote's SAGA Moors
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2019, 06:09:47 PM »

BTW, where do you get your putty from?

Green stuff can go off so I was wondering where the best place is to get the freshest GS?
I buy my GS from my local hobby store and my Apoxie Sculpt from Amazon. 

The Apoxie Sculpt comes in small plastic tubs with screw on caps, so it lasts a long while.  Apoxie Sculpt is less expensive than GS and its not a good material for sculpting small detailed items.  I use it primary for filling gaps, model bases, and terrain features.

To keep my GS "fresh" I keep it in a sealed ziplock bag which is stored inside small plastic box with a hinged, snap on lid.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2019, 07:39:11 PM »
I buy my GS from my local hobby store and my Apoxie Sculpt from Amazon. 

The Apoxie Sculpt comes in small plastic tubs with screw on caps, so it lasts a long while.

It can be stored in the freezer to keep it from going off. Trouble is; if you were to ask a number of sculptors how long Greenstuff took to go off they would all come up with a different answer.

Apoxie Sculpt is less expensive than GS and its not a good material for sculpting small detailed items.  I use it primary for filling gaps, model bases, and terrain features.

I've used that stuff and I just couldn't take to it. Maybe I got a bad batch? I really don't know. What I do know is that I ended up using it to fill the gaps in bark chippings I when I was making rocky terrain!

To keep my GS "fresh" I keep it in a sealed ziplock bag which is stored inside small plastic box with a hinged, snap on lid.

Yeah, me too. I've just got back into the hobby again after a break of four or five years so I reckon the putty I have will all have gone off to some extent. There's quite a lot of it too :(

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 08:33:19 AM by Atheling »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2019, 08:26:08 AM »
Only last year I opened up a GW blister of GS I received as a birthday gift over 10 years ago, and even though it was a bit hard in the beginning, and more of the divide line between the yellow and blue components needs cutting off, it became more kneadable once I started handling it, and it's still perfectly usable!

Opened GS and ProCreate I store in ziplock bags with as little air in them as possible, inside of an old Tupperware container, in a desk drawer, and I still have to experience a batch that has truly gone off. And as the above example illustrates; I'm not a prolific wet sculptor, so putty tends to be stored for a very long time...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2019, 08:35:58 AM »
Only last year I opened up a GW blister of GS I received as a birthday gift over 10 years ago, and even though it was a bit hard in the beginning, and more of the divide line between the yellow and blue components needs cutting off, it became more kneadable once I started handling it, and it's still perfectly usable!

Agreed, I always cut the middle out where the two epoxies join as it always starts to harden where they meet.

Opened GS and ProCreate I store in ziplock bags with as little air in them as possible, inside of an old Tupperware container, in a desk drawer, and I still have to experience a batch that has truly gone off. And as the above example illustrates; I'm not a prolific wet sculptor, so putty tends to be stored for a very long time...

I actually prefer ProCreate to Greenstuff. It much more pliable and i find it less sticky even when mixed 30/70.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2019, 03:13:22 AM »
Please do. I'd be very interested in how they compare.
Here's the size comparison photo that I promised you.  Compared to the other horses, Saladin's horse is massive.  He must have stolen if from a crusader who was too big to ride a destrier and instead opted for a draft horse.

I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed with the Perry Miniatures horses.  The quality of the casts isn't terrific, I don't care for two of four poses, and their manes are too short.  I have a bunch of extra Footsore horses, so I may mount my Bedouin cav on those and add the Perry horses to my collection of models that I regret purchasing.

The quality of the riders is poor as well.  These models are going to require hours of clean-up with a hobby knife and GS patching to get them ready for paint.  Ugh.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 06:00:52 AM by Koyote »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2019, 06:47:08 AM »
Thanks mate.

The Fireforge Games resin horses do look a little large.

Oh, BTW, the Footsore and metal Gripping Beast horses were made from the Ebob dollies that were once available for license (from Ebob).  I remember seeing so many companies taking up the use of the dollies and thinking "Oh no! Everything is going to become much more generic!" but now I've come around to the idea that is is a good thing because it makes mixing and matching cavalry models so much easier. They are similar to the Perry horses too which is a great help!

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2019, 05:36:31 PM »
I did some work on my HG cav and Bedouin Warrior cav.  

The HG cav started out over a year ago as kitbashed Age of Crusades Lithuanian cav.  It’s a mix of the GB Heavy Arab Cav kit and the Fireforge Medieval Russian infantry kit.  To repurpose them I replaced their Russian heads and teardrop shields with Arab heads and shields. Now that they are (hopefully) in their final form, I used GS to fill gaps and add belts, buckles, and veils. I am going to paint the shields separate, so I’m leaving them off for now.

I spent three hours on the Perry Miniatures Bedouins with a hobby knife and GS cleaning up their dreadful casts.  I will definitely think twice before purchasing any more Perry Miniatures’ metals. Yuck.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2019, 05:47:03 PM »
Can I ask, who makes the Age of Crusades Lithuanian cavalry?

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2019, 11:55:14 PM »
Can I ask, who makes the Age of Crusades Lithuanian cavalry?
As stated above, my HG cav are kitbashed using Gripping Beast's Arab Heavy Cavalry kit and Fireforge's Medieval Russian Infantry kit.  The models were originally assembled to use in my ill-fated Lithuania project, which was an offshoot of my Pagan Rus project.  Both of which have been shelved for the time being.  I don't care for how the Eastern Princes battle board plays, so I'm unlikely to resurrect my Lithuanian project, but I have had a lot of fun playing the current Pagan Rus battle board, so it's definitely still on my 'To Do' list.

You can view my Pagan Rus/Lithuanian thread HERE (scroll down to bottom of page)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 03:32:25 PM by Koyote »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2019, 07:52:56 AM »
As stated above, my HG cav are kitbashed using Gripping Beast's Arab Heavy Cavalry kit and Fireforge's Medieval Russian Infantry kit.  The models were originally assembled to use in my ill-fated Lithuania project, which was an offshoot of my Pagan Rus project.  Both of which have been shelved for the time being.  I don't care for how the Eastern Princes battle board plays, so I'm unlikely to resurrect my Lithuanian project, but I have had a lot of fun playing the current Pagan Rus battle board, so it's definitely still on my 'To Do' list.

You can view my Pagan Rus/Lithuanian thread HERE

Gotcha! I was drawn towards the Age of Crusades in italics which had me frantically searching for a mini new company on the net  lol

I'll take a peek at the link you provided now.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2019, 07:53:08 AM »
with all the work you put into this i'm quite sure this will look great once painted up.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2019, 08:01:03 AM »
Very promising work! Sixteen horses in formation always look impressive!

Yes, i had friends that had some issues with the Perry's metal Samurais too. Mine were not too terrible, but i agree that the overall cleaning job is not negligible. :(

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2019, 01:15:33 PM »
Very promising work! Sixteen horses in formation always look impressive!

Yes, i had friends that had some issues with the Perry's metal Samurais too. Mine were not too terrible, but i agree that the overall cleaning job is not negligible. :(

It can be a bit hit and miss. Sometimes even old Perry ranges are pristine, sometime not so. i guess they are continually remodelling the molds on a rotary basis given the amount of miniatures they sell.

Talking of which, as an abstract question- I wonder how many actual models over all their ranges they have sold over the years? I'd put money on the total being mind bending!!  o_o :)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2019, 01:31:37 PM »
It can be a bit hit and miss. Sometimes even old Perry ranges are pristine, sometime not so. i guess they are continually remodelling the molds on a rotary basis given the amount of miniatures they sell.

Talking of which, as an abstract question- I wonder how many actual models over all their ranges they have sold over the years? I'd put money on the total being mind bending!!  o_o :)

They do make quite a decent living out of their stuff. And the margin per model is probably not so much. thirty years, two people paying their bills in full... something around five to ten million figures?
Sorry, back to the OT! :D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2019, 04:39:43 PM »
They do make quite a decent living out of their stuff. And the margin per model is probably not so much. thirty years, two people paying their bills in full... something around five to ten million figures?
Sorry, back to the OT! :D

Yeah, sorry about that, it wouldn't be the first time I've got sidetracked  :)