Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 09, 2019, 08:25:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's SAGA Moors  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Koyote

• mad scientist
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: Koyote's SAGA Moors
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2019, 10:12:05 PM »
As I continue to playtest my Moors/Umayyad, I keep going back and forth on the composition of my warband. 

One of the units that I've been vacillating on is my levy.  Crossbow levy hit harder than bow levy, but it's less costly in SAGA dice for bow levy to shoot multiple times per turn.  Additionally, Umayyad levy cannot be armed with crossbows, so if I use bow levy for my Moors and Umayyad warbands, I will paint 12 fewer models.  And finally, I've found only two manufacturers who sell  28mm Moorish/Arab crossbowmen models, Gripping Beast and Artizan Designs, and I don't care for either.

Both GB an Artizan sell only 4 poses, so a levy unit will be comprised of four groups of triplicate poses.  The Gripping Beast sculpts are uninspiring and the quality of the casts is crap.  Instead of sending the GB models back, I tossed them in my box of purchases that I regret, and ordered the Artizan models.  The quality of the Artizan models is better, but the sculpts are kind of thick and clunky, and after additional consideration, I decided that they don't really fit my Tuareg/Bedouin theme.

After a bit of brainstorming, I realized that I still have quite a few unused Gripping Beast Arab bodies and heads, so if I could find some crossbow bits, I could kitbash my own crossbowmen.  The online bits-sellers don't have what I need, so I broke down and ordered Fireforge Games Foot Sergeant kit.

The Foot Sergeant kit is a great deal.  Its 6 sprues have enough bits to build 48 models (which breaks down to 83 cents per model) with plenty of bits to spare.  Each sprue includes enough bits to arm 4 models with crossbow, 6 models with basic hand weapons, and 6 models with spears.  So even after procuring 12 crossbows to arm my Moorish levy, I have enough models and weapons to make a good start on a Crusader warband.

Originally, I had planned to fill in the recesses of the crossbow bits' quilted armor sleeves with GS to match the smooth texture of Arab plastics' robes, but after looking at the assembled models, I decided that I like the contrast between the quilted sleeves and the smooth robes. 

Below is a WIP shot.

Offline Codsticker

• mastermind
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Koyote's SAGA Moors
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2019, 07:26:02 AM »
It looks like you managed some very natural poses with the two kits- nicely done!
I have some of the Artisan Designs models and although they are  chunky I ike them. I find them very easy to paint,  much like Perry sculpts.