Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:09:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686467
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's SAGA Moors & Mutatawwi'a  (Read 39679 times)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Koyote's SAGA Moors
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2020, 05:14:25 AM »
As painful as this may have been since you were Gorgo, they do look really nice.

I have quite a few Perry Sudan blisters that are quite nice but some of the molds have horrible flash.  I assume that is relative to their age.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2020, 08:24:22 AM »
I assume that is relative to their age.

Yeah, I think that this might be down to the moulds not being replaced as rapidly as they would ideally want due to the massive number of moulds needed to cast all the Perry ranges. There must be a huge number of moulds.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2020, 06:54:16 PM »
Four down.  Four to go.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 11:52:31 PM by Koyote »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2020, 08:39:01 AM »
Lovely work Koyote  :-*

Offline nikkobourges

• Librarian
« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2020, 10:22:49 AM »
Hello,

Superb paintjob !!! I like the shade's flesh horses !!!

Nikkobourges

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2020, 05:48:25 AM »
Six down. Two to go.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2020, 09:00:07 AM »
Lovely work  8) 8) 8)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2020, 05:20:57 PM »
Hello,

Superb paintjob !!! I like the shade's flesh horses !!!

Nikkobourges
Thanks.

Painting horses is challenging because it involves painting relatively large, smooth areas, gradual curves, and shallow recesses.  Highlighting the crests of the gradual curves and shading the shallow recesses are the biggest challenges. 

The easiest approach is to apply a base coat and perhaps a wash to the 'horse-flesh' and leave it at that.  Depending upon what you want your final product to look like, this is a perfectly acceptable approach.  The use of Games Workshop's contrast paints or Army Painters' Quickshade and dipping technique are both good ways to execute this approach.

Another approach is to paint or shade the recesses in such a way as to produce a very stark, obvious shading between the muscles.  This approach can produce models that look quite good when viewed from 3+ feet away, which is how models are typically viewed on the table top, during game play.

Still another approach is to highlight and shade the curves and recesses in a much more subtle manner.  This is my approach.  These models don't look as good on the table top, but in my opinion, they look better in photographs and when closely inspected. 

I achieve the subtle shading and highlighting by following the basic recipe of figure painting: basecoat, shading, and then highlighting. My first highlight coat is my base coat color, mixed very thin so that the shaded color that I am painting over shows through a bit. My second and sometimes third highlight layer are the same base coat color, but each time I highlight I add the color to an increasingly smaller area, focused on the crest of the muscle.  It's only on the third or fourth layer of highlight that I begin to lighten the color of the highlight.  Once again, each highlight color should be mixed quite thin, so that each layer of highlight is slightly translucent.

As I highlight the horse, I will inevitably find areas where the transitioning of colors isn't smooth enough.  In these instance I will apply a very thin coat of wash to "repair" the areas that I F'd up, and if needed, re-apply highlights to these areas.  So in reality, my process isn't a simple linear Step 1 to Step 6.  It's more like Step 1 to Step 4, fix those areas I'm not satisfied with, go back to Step 3, continue on to Step 5, then possibly go back again.  The process is really just me painting and fixing and painting and fixing again until I'm either satisfied with the result or I've given up and decided that I'm tired of messing with it.

Below is an illustration I created in 2017 for my Britons' thread (see page 4 of that thread). I used it to illustrate the basics of highlighting and how I use thinned down washes/inks to "cheat blend". 

Of course the process for painting black horses is a bit different because the base coat is the shade coat.  Nevertheless, if the highlight transitions aren't smooth enough, I apply a very thin coat of black wash to the area, using a mixture of black paint and water or medium.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2020, 02:49:51 PM »
It took me over 3 weeks of painting in my spare time, but the my first unit of Tuareg (Moorish) cavalry is finally done. 

With the addition of this last unit, my display case is full.  I had previously relocated a half shelf of Mordheim & Frostrgrave warbands to wall mounted display cases to make room for the first few units of Moors, but I see now that I will need to find a new display case for my This Is Not A Test warbands as well.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2020, 03:00:52 PM »
What a beautiful collection!  :-* :-* :-*

The cavalry is also great!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2020, 03:34:56 PM »
Stunning work and epic display!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2020, 05:15:38 PM »
Stunning work and epic display!

What he said.   You might need a full size display unit.  :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 01:15:35 AM by syrinx0 »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2020, 07:39:02 PM »
Thanks, everyone.

The models on the bottom shelf are my SAGA Age of Vikings Irish and the units that I added to play them as a SAGA Age of Magic Horde warband.

The models on the middle shelf are my SAGA Age of Invasions Britons and the units that I added to play them as a SAGA Age of Magic Great Kingdoms warband.

The models on the top shelf are my soon-to-be-evicted TNT warbands and my growing Moors/Umayyad/Lords of Wild warband.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #133 on: May 31, 2020, 05:23:39 PM »
My next project will be one point of mounted hearthguard.

The models are assembled from Gripping Beast's GBP05 Arab Heavy Cavalry kit and bits from other GB kits and manufacturers.  I replaced their plastic spears (which have a tendency to break) with wire spears.  Since these models represent my elite warriors they should be well equipped, so I added sheathed swords to their left hips and sheathed knives to their right hip. Each model will also be equipped with a small round shield held in their left hand.  Moorish mounted hearthguard are equipped with javelins, so equipped some of the models with an extra javelin. The mace comes from Fireforge Miniatures' Medieval Russian Infantry kit

I don't care for the look of the horses' knotted tails, so I either replaced the tails or carved off the knotted portion and repaired the tail with greenstuff.

One of the weaknesses of this kit is how the torso piece and legs piece join together.  Once assembled you can see a small gap and the model's skinny little belt is barely discernible. I fixed this by using greenstuff to fill in the gap and sculpting a thicker belt and buckle.

I also used greenstuff to patch gaps in joints, add scarves, bulk up some of their tiny little hands, and elongate the stubby little fingers on some of the hands holding weapons.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #134 on: May 31, 2020, 05:45:33 PM »
Brilliant detail work as usual mate.