Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:00:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tank Battle - Zamaloy, Hungary  (Read 1609 times)

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
Tank Battle - Zamaloy, Hungary
« on: September 20, 2019, 04:36:04 PM »
Over a few days in early January 1945, a heavy tank battle raged around the Hungarian town of Zamaloy.  We fought the initial scenario yesterday inspired by this battle, as elements of the 4th Kavallerie Brigade, reinforced by runners of the sPzAbt. 503 FHH (6 King Tigers) attempted to push across the snow-covered plain approaching Zamaloy - in their way at a location called Bobalamajor, the Soviets were dug in and waiting -

Pictured below, the StuGs, Infantry, and Tiger IIs begin their 1st attempt to gain control of Borbala and to make a passage past the defenders -

Unable to clear the hamlet, and suddenly assailed by an arriving Soviet tank Battalion on their northern flank, the German commanders extricated their forces back towards the start line, and reoriented their attack to other side of the Borbala - the King Tigers would now be in the lead -

It was the moment for the Soviet tankers to reorient their attack in response - the Tigers would push on further eastwards towards a ford crossing, but without enough support pressure from the StuG company, the Beasts would be overwhelmed by T-34s charging out of the woods, gaining flanks,  and firing at close range - 

The first attack towards Zamoly has bogged down in the snow and before Borbala, but a second attempt with fresh Panzers from the 23rd PzDiv. will be thrown in the next day......

(2nd scenario in the offing for a few weeks away) 

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Tank Battle - Zamaloy, Hungary
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 05:14:53 PM »
A beautiful snowy table!  :-*

Offline boywundyrx

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 05:52:17 PM »
Yes, really great looking layout!

Online Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 07:13:20 PM »
Looks very atmospheric, very cold, bleak and dangerous. Look how much the dice stand out in the wintry landscape!

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 07:41:49 PM »
Doesn't look half bad! Really atmospheric.

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 07:49:40 PM »
I'm going to have a nice warm drink, those pictures make me feel cold.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 11:12:17 PM »
Has.been...get a jumper on.
Great table fella.
Flatpack

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 01:25:43 PM »
Guys, glad you liked the game's look!

Heeding your advice, and after November here, my scenarios will probably be turning a lot warmer and brighter.  ;)

Oh wait, a 75th Anniversary Bulge game might have to be an exception!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 02:21:28 PM »
Really excellent work on the terrain, as others have said. Hey is Zamaloy that place where they recovered a T34 from a swamp a few years back?
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 10:49:54 PM »
Vodkafan, hmmm - I don't know (btw, I've spelled Zamoly ever which way in this thread)!

Something I finished up today, for the Konrad II scenario that'll be a follow-on to this first game here (same general area around Zamoly), is a platoon of Jadgpanzer IV/70s that will represent part of PzJg-ABt. 128 of the 23. Panzer Div., which will be featured in the next game.

These are 1/144th scale F-Toy WTM kits, winterized for these late-war battles in Hungary (I'll use them for the Bulge too)

What's interesting about these actions around Budapest, are the low numbers of AFVs that were mustered for "operations".   We're talking front-line German Panzer Divisions with 15-50 total tanks and SPs thrown into these assaults.  The Soviet mechanized units were also depleted, excepting the powerful, full-strength reserve units held back, and used for decisive counterattacks.  These low "figure-counts", of potent, late-war AFVs and weaponry, I think make for accessible scenarios, while still offering dynamic game-play potential.

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 04:54:42 AM »
Looks really great!

Thanks for sharing your report and photos.

Who makes the building you are using?

I need some of those.

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 01:51:49 PM »
Thanks Mako!

Those are 1/144th scale Pegasus Hobbies Russian Farm Houses -

http://pegasushobbies.net/catalog/Models-Peg.-Figure-Sets-1/144-Scale-Figures,-Tanks,-&-Buildings/c107_1_10/p938/%23850-Russian-Farm-Houses-1/144th-Scale/product_info.html

I've got some 1/144th scale Spellcrow buildings on order now, to augment these Pegasus models here, but can't comment on them until they arrive and I can compare them to the ones I have.  I think they'll be compatible in size and detail though -

https://www.spellcrow.com/little-house-p-429.html
https://www.spellcrow.com/barn-p-509.html

Mako, here's an example of how the "sameness" of the Pegasus Hobbies buildings can be augmented a bit, to add a little variety to their look -

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 08:53:49 AM »
You should post more about this. The other 13 posts don’t do it justice lol
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 02:11:28 PM »
Or just refer you to my other thread -  ;D

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=119104.0