Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 08:37:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685066
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suitable Rules for Judge Dredd?  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Suitable Rules for Judge Dredd?
« on: September 22, 2019, 12:41:04 AM »
The title about says it all. In searching LAF's threads I've found a number of JD projects, but they generally focus on the miniatures side of things, not rules. So I'm curious, do any of you have any recommendations? I'm thinking the rules should be pretty gritty, yet with some larger than life hero potential. Off the top of my head I'm thinking maybe:

1.) THW's 5150 rules, or Chain Reaction?

2.) Savage Worlds

Any suggestions would be much appreciated (along with a "why" if you've got the time). Thank you!!!

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
Re: Suitable Rules for Judge Dredd?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 01:06:39 AM »
Warlord may have you covered on this one as it looks like they'll be releasing a set which I imagine will compliment their Strontium Dog set later this year.

The half dozen games I've had of Strontium Dog were most enjoyable. Good fast fun that was faithful to the source material.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 03:23:48 AM by Muzfish4 »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 01:14:19 AM »
Galactic Heroes would work well for this. It’s a good cinematic rules set and lead characters can be customised quiet well. A good choice of weapons but it’s easy to add your own. There are vehicle rules as well if you decide to mount your judges in bikes etc.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 03:08:21 AM »
Pulp Alley.  This is the set I have picked up for my Dredd project.
Action hero, comic/literary/cinematic adventure. Build your own characters. Objective based. Card play. This game has a lot going for it.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 04:27:08 AM »
Thanks, lads! I have both Pulp Alley and Galactic Heroes already, so I'll have to take a look at those with DJ in mind. I'll keep an eye on Warlord also. If anybody has more input, please chime in!  :)

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 06:45:52 AM »
If using Galactic Heroes, then have a look here.
[url]http://nozzawargaming.blogspot.com/2019/05/i-am-law-judge-dredd-for-galactic-heroes.html/url]

Might be useful.

Offline bernard

• Schoolboy
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 06:49:40 AM »
The 7tv rules from Crooked Dice work really well.

There is a post apocalyptic version which covers slot of the basic Dredd foes in it's archetypes and it's relatively easy to create a custom character.

The TV show premise of the game is great fun and adds random twists.

Offline Vampifan

• Scientist
    • Vampifan's World of the Undead
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 10:11:45 AM »
I can highly recommend the Judge Dredd and the Worlds of 2000 AD RPG rulebook by EN Publishing. It plays well as a skirmish game and goes into great detail on the Judge Dredd universe.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 01:54:20 PM »
More things to think about. Nozza, for some reason I can't get that link to work - I can find your GH Star Wars stuff, some Judge Dredd ideas for Pulp Alley, but nothing for GH. Can you try the link again?

7TV is an interesting option I hadn't thought of. I only have the 7th Voyages version but I do like the basic system.

Judge Dredd and the World of 2000 is a very interesting lead. Vampifan, are you generally a rpg'r or do you do skirmish gaming without the rpg bits? The only reason I ask is because making characters and combat rules tend to be pretty labour-intensive in rpgs. The book does look beautiful, though. Thank you for the help! 

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 09:51:22 PM »
This is Vampifan’s Dredd content: http://vampifansworldoftheundead.blogspot.com/p/judge-dredd.html?m=1

A lot of miniatures to look at there.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 10:56:26 PM »
Buckets of inspiration there. Thank you for the link!!!

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 08:24:17 AM »
More things to think about. Nozza, for some reason I can't get that link to work - I can find your GH Star Wars stuff, some Judge Dredd ideas for Pulp Alley, but nothing for GH. Can you try the link again?

7TV is an interesting option I hadn't thought of. I only have the 7th Voyages version but I do like the basic system.

Judge Dredd and the World of 2000 is a very interesting lead. Vampifan, are you generally a rpg'r or do you do skirmish gaming without the rpg bits? The only reason I ask is because making characters and combat rules tend to be pretty labour-intensive in rpgs. The book does look beautiful, though. Thank you for the help!

Let me try it again. Before I was using my tablet, now I'm using my laptop.

https://nozzawargaming.blogspot.com/2019/05/i-am-law-judge-dredd-for-galactic-heroes.html

Offline Vampifan

• Scientist
    • Vampifan's World of the Undead
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 09:24:51 AM »
Many thanks for the kind words, everyone. Judge Dredd gaming has been a passion of mine for many a year.. I am more a skirmish gamer than a role player but I do like the added complexity you get from an RPG. With Judge Dredd and the Worlds of 2000 AD you can get started right off the bat if you use the pre-generated PCs in the book or tweak them to your own needs. I find character creation fairly quick, roughly half an hour per character. By the way, if you want Judge Dredd's stats, they appear in the supplement Luna One.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 01:12:59 PM »
Let me try it again. Before I was using my tablet, now I'm using my laptop.

https://nozzawargaming.blogspot.com/2019/05/i-am-law-judge-dredd-for-galactic-heroes.html

Great, that one worked. Thank you, Nozza! (I always find your site helpful: I've also pillaged your ideas for Dr Who Pulp Alley, you see... :))

Vamp, that's all good to know, though I have to roll the eyes a little that JD's stats are in a supplement!  ::) I'm tempted by the game, if only for inspiration!

Offline boywundyrx

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 02:05:12 PM »
There's also been some discussion somewhere, might have been the Ganesha Games email list, about using Mutants and Death Ray Guns for JD.  I looked into it for my 15mm Alternative Armies JD-alikes and it seems like it'll work for a first try to see how they work, whichever century I eventually get the figures painted.

Galactic Heroes/Fistful of Lead/Wasteland Warriors would probably be my second choice at the moment.  But everything in this thread seems like it'd work (truly a golden age!).

Chris