Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:30:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689750
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 693
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for help & advice with all things Barbarian!  (Read 5539 times)

Offline Vladimir

• Student
Looking for help & advice with all things Barbarian!
« on: July 02, 2009, 09:41:25 PM »
Ok, I remember reading some Slaine stuff back in the early 90's and I've seen both Conan films (and unfortunately Red Sonja!). I never, ever wanted to play the Barbarian in Heroquest or the computer game Gauntlet. Yet despite this...

... I've found myself developing an almost unhealthy interest in broadswords and fur bikini clad babes!  ;D

So I'm now asking for your advice. I've seen a few miniatures here and there (though I'm always on the lookout for more miniatures!) but which miniatures do you guys use? Can you recommend any 'lines' that match with other lines, preferably in 28mm?

Also can you recommend a good ruleset, preferably skirmish level? I want to start with a small warband before moving onto a larger 'horde'!

Many thanks...

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
Re: Looking for help & advice with all things Barbarian!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 10:02:35 PM »
Darn it! Until four years ago I was living in Northampton and could have given you a game!

I would certainly recommend Broadsword Adventures for skirmishing. Each figure is an individual personality. You can find the rules at http://rattrapproductions.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9&zenid=74cf37f4ad8eb93bdcc74e321269b142 and they're downloadable as a pdf.

Figures-wise I like the old Grenadier figures which you can obtain from em-4 Miniatures very reasonably and with a superb delivery service (http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Infantry.html). They're a lot better than they look on te website and even come already undercoated! I also like several of the ones produced by Reaper which can be obtained in the UK from Minifigs (http://miniaturefigurines.co.uk/Home.aspx)

Happy hunting!
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 10:42:39 PM »
I second the recommendation for Broadsword Adventures as a rules system and  for the EM-4 line of Barbarians, but I also recommend the Black Tree Designs/Harlequin Barbarian line. I don't much hold with Black Tree as a rule, but they do make some excellent Barbarian figures (even better than EM-4 IMHO):

http://www.black-tree-design.com/btdcat.php?ctry=uk&lng=gb&rangenum=10&typenum=75&qty=0&sub=&shp=&tot=

2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 10:44:48 PM »
You could try the cavewomen from Mark Copplestone: C25

Also his Barbarian Queen: BQ1

Both match the EM4 Barbarians as Mark sculpted them too  8)
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Vladimir

• Student
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 11:50:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies and links guys!

I've just found and watched the youtube video showing a demonstartion of 'Broadsword Adventures' and I think it may be just what I'm looking for! I'm just looking to see if I can find a distributor here in the UK. I have also recently recieved some miniatures for another project from Hasslefree and I must say I am greatly impressed by the quality of the miniatures and the service. So...

... I'm thinking her for my Barbarian, and these 'gals'...

... as her 'retinue'.

What do you think?

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 11:54:46 PM »
I dug up some old conanesque threads with pics & suggestions...

Conan Miniatures
Conan Project
[BA] Suitable Miniatures
Hyborian Miniatures Revisited
Conan
Hyborian Miniatures Manufacturer List

The last one has Sark's pdf mag link with a full article on this topic.

For boobarians specifically, see Maidenhead and Bronze Age

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 04:19:23 AM »
What do you think?

If you like the Hasslefree sculpts, please note that Kev White also did many of the Barbarian figures in the Harlequin line that I recommended.

You can also pull up some other Barbarian figures on the Hasslefee site (but you have to hunt around for them a bit).

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 09:20:29 AM »
Try the Celtos range too... Plenty of barbarian looking figures there. Formerly iKore, can't quite remember who carries them now, but I think Hasslefree Kev sculpted those as well...
Of course Copplestone sculpts ultra-large 28's and White sculpts ultra-diminutive 28's - so sadly don't think the Celtos and ex-Grenadier ranges will be all that compatible...

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 09:45:08 AM »
Try the Celtos range too... Plenty of barbarian looking figures there. Formerly iKore, can't quite remember who carries them now...

Brigade models  LINK

I've painted a couple, and the EM4/Mirliton.  To paint, I prefer the Celtos.

I'd also consider the Renegade Celts from their Punic Wars range.  And with current Regiment Deals on the go... :)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 09:46:23 AM »
Kev White also sculpted the Chronopia Sons of Kronos (now avaialble from Prince August), which includes some magnificent barbarians (the one on the stag is particularly good).

Offline Grün

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 03:28:58 PM »
If you are sill searching for rules, take a look at "Song of Blades and Heroes"

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
I've just found and watched the youtube video showing a demonstartion of 'Broadsword Adventures' and I think it may be just what I'm looking for! I'm just looking to see if I can find a distributor here in the UK.

Northstar carries them.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Vladimir

• Student
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 12:47:12 AM »
Thanks for the tip-off Operator5! I've ordered stuff from Northstar before and been impressed by their service! I think I'll also be checking out the 'Song of Blades and Heroes' rules Grun. The title alone sounds fantastic!

I think I've decided on the Hasslefree girls... I think their background will be along the lines of an escaped harem. Out looking for revenge and general bloodshed! (Women today... tut!)  ;)

Offline Vladimir

• Student
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 06:53:20 AM »
Apologies for the double post (not sure if it's frowned apon here or not!) but has anyone ever bought from 'Blood Moon Miniatures'? I've seen some WiP pictures of some forthcoming Snake Priestess' they have planned and was wondering if anyone could tell me if they match up with Hasslefree's stuff (the Nubians are on their way to me now!).

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 10:23:15 AM »
I agree, Broadsword Adventures and Song of Blades are great rules systems, which both give fast-moving and very enjoyable games. An equally good set of rules is  "Warrior Heroes" by Two Hour Wargames available as a PDF:

http://www.angelfire.com/az3/twohourwargames/WarriorHeroes.htm

Although not cheap at 22 USD they do contain rules for skirmish and "big battle" games, with the option to add a fair amount of roleplaying if you desire. They also have excellent solo playability, so you can have fun learning the system before playing others.

They are definitely worth a look, as you can start small with only a handful of figures and progress to large games as your collection expands, using the same system.

Download CR3 ( modern/near future rules)for free to get an idea of rule mechanisms etc for the skirmish version.

For more info there is also a YahooGroup for THW, although you might find that zombies and post-apocalypse posts tend to dominate other rule systems  ;)

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/twohourwargames/