Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:21:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686597
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vampire the Masquerade : Chapters (Board Game with miniatures)  (Read 2921 times)

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
Vampire the Masquerade : Chapters (Board Game with miniatures)
« on: September 23, 2019, 05:58:41 PM »
Hello!

I am really not sure where to put this thread as it could be put here (because: vampires!), Other Adventures (modern vampires!) or the general hobby thread (since it is about boardgames miniatures)...anyway, should this thread be completely wrong in this section I kindly ask a moderator to place it in a different section.

That being said:

Ever since I read about the announcement I have been super excited about the upcoming Kickstarter for "Vampire: The Masquerade - Chapters".

Being a huge fan of the old White Wolf setting-books (up until 3E) but having left pen&paper gaming for miniature gaming I had come to the conclusion that my enjoyment of the classic World of Darkness would be limited to buying and reading the occasional PDF...

... then this came along: http://www.vampirethemasquerade-chapters.com

So far information on the game is quite limited but from what I have seen this will be right up my alley. Am I the only one here or have others on this forum have found and liked this as well?

The miniatures seem to be around 32mm in scale (they showed some PVC / Resin (?) prototypes on Facebook) and so far they look quite stylish.

I am hoping that the Kickstarter will offer more miniatures than just the player-characters. As they showed a first expansion character I am quite hopeful. Painting up some Vampire: The Masquerade, that would be great and it might finally get me to join a Kickstarter.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 06:13:42 PM by Historiker »
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Vampire the Masquerade : Chapters (Board Game with miniatures)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 06:44:48 PM »
Fear not, this is the right place to post about this.  :)

I’d love to see the figures. ???
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 07:02:04 PM »
Thanks, glad to hear that this is the right place.

There is an official Facebook Group where they posted some pictures but so far they only showed four player characters.

I´ll try to link the post: https://www.facebook.com/flyosgames/photos/gm.372082890094078/729762700786661/?type=3&theater&ifg=1

I think they are still a WIP. Apparently the Kickstarter is in February 2020. Hopefully we will get more information soon.

Also really hope they will be at least doing miniatures for all the original Camarilla 8)

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 07:06:19 PM »
I had not heard about this so thanks for posting!

TBH I am pretty fatigued by "Kickstarter-style" board games; they tend to be extremely overproduced (hence all the miniatures!) with so-so mechanics ... and there tend to be a few items where the production values come out chintsier than hoped.

That being said, I have a soft spot for OWoD and will certainly keep my eye on this one.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 11:08:28 AM »
I might want this, but as usual mostly for the miniatures so I dont really care about the rules.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 05:49:49 PM »
Another optional character / miniature, Clan being the Followers of Set, was just announced on their FB page.

This being the second optional add-on character makes me hope that we will see more character options in the kickstarter campaign.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 05:51:23 PM by Historiker »

Offline Craig Oxbrow

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 05:54:16 PM »
According to the FB updates, the miniatures are apparently going to be 40mm scale.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 06:12:18 PM »
Yes, I was surprised by this as well! On the photos I got the impression that they looked 32mm-ish in scale.

I think this around 40mm thing is a trend in board gaming miniatures. A few days ago I stumbled over Oathsworn while surfing (another kickstarter boardgame) and the miniatures are huge as well.

I am okay with bigger figures for "Chapters" as long as the miniatures capture the atmosphere of Vampire : The Masquerade. As much as I am a fan of the multi-purpose 28mm scale I probably will use these exclusively for the game itself.

The scale however will mean that the production quality of the miniatures will have to be great in order for them to look good. Well, let's wait and see!

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 08:46:51 AM »
A lot of boardgames have been 35mm scale, so I suppose that 40mm is the "natural" scale creep then...

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 08:58:32 AM »
This is interesting. I used to play the RPG back in the 1990s and dropped it for miniature tabletop gaming as well. I still have all of the 1st edition rules and some of the old Ral Partha Vampire&Werewolf miniatures too. I look forward to see more of that!

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 03:44:47 PM »
There is definitely a broad trend to larger figures in miniatures gaming that seems to correspond to another broad trend of games that require less figures to play.

Separately, the KS-inspired deluge of overproduced board games have swept in with tons of fairly large minis. I suspect this has more to do with the target market being board gamers, rather than miniatures gamers.

Offline Craig Oxbrow

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 10:36:37 PM »
There's a preview of four of the miniatures in this painting tutorial.

Offline Craig Oxbrow

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 04:01:24 PM »
In related news, Modiphius announces 32mm Vampire: The Masquerade miniature sets. So that's two scales...

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 04:51:35 PM »
Thanks for sharing that information!

I have not had any experience with Modiphius products myself and am no fan of resin as a material but one of my buddy's Fallout miniatures look quite well produced.

Being a sucker (no pun intended) for Vampire : The Masquerade I might even pick some up and use them either in VtM :Chapters or find some other use. Or just as a paint project.

Will definitely watch out for those as well.

Hoping that we will see some more VtM : Chapters stuff soon!

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 06:39:21 PM »
The creators have just released a sort of early look demo.

Anyone interested may find it here:

https://tabletopia.com/games/vampire-the-masquerade-chapters