Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:49:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Ranger's Journey  (Read 24757 times)

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
Re: A Ranger's Journey
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2019, 04:58:57 PM »

Thanks for the kind words people! I continue to expand on my retinue of companions and perhaps a potential ranger here or there. Maybe I should try and make some more of those golems, been awhile now since I did them. Seems people really like them in particular.

Hoginn, Son of Ibun

"The dwarf-folk are a strange people whose realm beneath our own has been a subject of much mystery over the ages. Having seen one is the mark of a well traveled soul or the select lucky few. In the wake of Lorenthia's fall a select few have emerged to join the King's Rangers in their ventures into the fallen nation. Claiming to be seeking traces of their cousins who dwelt beneath those lands. Hoginn, Son of Ibun is one of these stout warriors."
-- Records of the Shadow Deep by Arcanist Vernan

Another Knight funnily enough, or atleast rules-wise! This is a dwarf warrior from the old Skull Pass box Games Workshop had back in the day, got him in a trade with a friend who really likes the stout and angry folk. But they are miniatures full of character, if a bit annoying to paint with how tight everything is on them. He also has a number of those little wagons you got with that set which I imagine will make great for some scenarios. I didn't really change anything with this one, just painted him up real quick and went blue rather than green to set him apart from the others, he is no warrior of Alladore but serves his own clan.

I did do a third attempt at a different type of golem for above mentioned friend's dwarf army once. Wasn't all that happy with it so not finished but currently it looks something like this.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 07:56:13 PM »

The Horned Man

"We had been called to the township of Velarn following reports of strange beasts assailing the people in the night. Considering it's viscinity to the border to fallen Lorenthia and the influence of the Shadow the King dispatched Orwald together with myself and a select few men of martial disposition. It was a long journey and we found a town gripped in the talons of terror. It took nearly two hours convince the town elder to open the door to us, and I do not blame the man. Even then we saw the signs of the creature, deep marks left in every door and debree violently spread across the townsquare.

They told us of a horned creature, more beast than man who skulked in their town at night. It called out in the human tongue for them, begging for them to open their doors even as it kept trying to break in. At first they had fended it off when it came, wielding pitchforks and torches. Back then it still fled from harsh words and threats yet every night it grew more desperate. On the fifth night it took its first victim, Oris the miller was snatched up by gilded claws into the dark before his screams were cut short. His bones were found in the morning.

We waited for it as night fell with steel and fire at the ready."
-- Records of the Shadow by Arcanist Vernan

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2019, 07:55:53 AM »
 :) great stuff!!!

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2019, 06:36:09 PM »
The Horned Man

"We had been called to the township of Velarn following reports of strange beasts assailing the people in the night. Considering it's viscinity to the border to fallen Lorenthia and the influence of the Shadow the King dispatched Orwald together with myself and a select few men of martial disposition. It was a long journey and we found a town gripped in the talons of terror. It took nearly two hours convince the town elder to open the door to us, and I do not blame the man. Even then we saw the signs of the creature, deep marks left in every door and debree violently spread across the townsquare.

They told us of a horned creature, more beast than man who skulked in their town at night. It called out in the human tongue for them, begging for them to open their doors even as it kept trying to break in. At first they had fended it off when it came, wielding pitchforks and torches. Back then it still fled from harsh words and threats yet every night it grew more desperate. On the fifth night it took its first victim, Oris the miller was snatched up by gilded claws into the dark before his screams were cut short. His bones were found in the morning.

We waited for it as night fell with steel and fire at the ready."
-- Records of the Shadow by Arcanist Vernan

YES. VERY MUCH YES. This is just grimdark in every sense of the word. Takes me back to the nastiness of the pagan cult in Thief: The Dark Project and a bunch of other stuff. Absolutely love it. I was also working on a 'horned demon' cult of my own recently, weirdly - will post pics on my log later but they're not worlds apart at all.

Loving this thread, really hoping to see some battle reports soon with all your beautiful miniatures and great lore.
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 07:11:34 AM »
Loving your craftsmanship, and the background text too - keep up the good work  :)

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 08:49:58 AM »
Lovely inspiring stuff  :).

I came across the ruleset by chance, haven't had a chance to read it yet, but have heard much good about it. Like yourself, I am more interested in the narrative aspects in a game than a competition, if I have enjoyed myself playing, well, that's a win for me.

Thought me and my 10 year old daughter might give this a go, but lacking any fantasy miniatures, I probably will just print off some suitable paper standees instead, as I don't have the spare time nor money to start another collection (Necromunda is taking my spare capital nowadays...).

Looking forward to some batreps soon.

Legionnaire
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 12:14:06 PM »
Brilliant. Love the horned man :o
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2019, 03:30:57 PM »
Thank you for the kind words people, glad you all like it. Speaking of the horned fellow, here's a better picture I managed to get together.

Makes him look a little bit more fittingly disturbing without my desk in the back I feel.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2019, 05:32:33 PM »
Revna Dal

"Hailing from the savage mountains of Alladore Revna Dal famously descended from the peaks following words of prophecy uttered by the wise men of the clans. Seeking an audience with the King she petitioned to become part of the King's Rangers together with a small band of grizzled warriors. Not a year has passed since that day and the bleak words of the seers have proven true as the encroaching Shadow heralds a dark era. One well suited to the axe and the sword."

The significant other got me this lovely warrior lady for my birthday a few days ago. She's from the Northmen line over at Bronze Age Miniatures and I think an excellent sculpt. I immedietly knew she would become my second dedicated Ranger with her heroic pose. The miniature was fun to paint and marked the second female miniature I've ever painted which was a joy. The more realistic sculps that are becoming more common these days is fun to see and I expect many more will be added to my collections. Tried my go at actually painting eyes for the second time ever and it did not turn out terrible even if I am not over the moon with how the face ended up.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 08:06:27 AM by Olsson »

Offline DinoTitanedition

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2019, 08:03:24 AM »
Your wife seemingly has a good taste - the mini looks nice and the paintjob also turned out well. Keep it going, I'm watching.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2019, 10:25:58 AM »
eyes look good.
horned chap is excellent.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2020, 05:36:36 PM »
Fell off the painnting wagon a bit, not touched a brush since November til yesterday. Seven months away has me rusty, but did paint up a second ranger.

Offline giles the zog

• Scientist
    • The Lost City of Carcosa
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2020, 05:49:50 PM »
Nice !
Which manufacturer ?
Wandering stars, for whom is reserved, the blackness, the darkness forever.

https://thelostcityofcarcosa.com

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2020, 06:37:35 PM »
Welcome back! Always good to be back in the saddle. Love the new Ranger, would like to see some more pics :)

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2020, 11:58:59 PM »
Very nice painting. Background stories are excellent too