Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:50:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fun with Cry Havoc Scenarios  (Read 2742 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Fun with Cry Havoc Scenarios
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2019, 02:57:23 PM »
Thanks, I think I've got them now.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2019, 09:24:58 AM »

Do you think anyone else would be interested in bases like I've been using with engraved names and types?
I just made them for my own games really, but could make available if there was any interest.
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2019, 10:21:27 AM »
Must admit Chris, I try avoid shiny plastic bits on the tabletop as it spoils the overall look for me - just personal taste, you know :)
The clear bases are very neatly done though.
However, given that we're only talking about a handful of figures for each side in a skirmish, I always tend to go the other route and have an off-table card with each character's pic and name on it, plus stats etc.
But I'm sure there are plenty of people who would go for the inscribed bases.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2019, 10:55:28 AM »
As the option of, 'putting the name underneath the base' is not available, and as long as they are not too expensive,
I think there would be a small market for them. I would be interested in a few, as I like to do a personality figure
for friends every so often, a Sci-Fi one, a fantasy one, a Napoleonic one, a Western one etc. etc. (good job I have so few friends.)

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2019, 06:31:05 AM »
Nice looking game. I always did regret selling off my copy of Cry Havoc so thanks for the links, I can see a lot of use for those in my Baron’s War diversion.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2019, 02:37:28 PM »
Glad you found it useful.
I love those Cry Havoc Scenarios and look forward to trying them all with miniatures.

I have just posted a You Tube video looking at the terrain that I am building for these games.

https://youtu.be/26mtViuGHFE

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2019, 06:31:41 PM »
Last week Lewis and I had another great play test game of Buck's Feudal Patrol medieval skirmish rules.
Once again we choose a scenario from the Cry Havoc, Additional Scenarios Book.

This time the scenario played was Foraging Party. Lewis played Sir Richard tasked with getting his horses fed, and his command back to friendly lines in one piece. I played Sir Williams raiding party, whose mission was to steal as many horses and slay as many knights as they could while minimizing there own losses.

The scenario was a lot of fun. I really like these small scale skirmish actions.

I've written the game up, with loads more photos, on my hobby blog @
http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Foraging-Party-A-Medieval-Skirmish-with-Feudal-Patrol

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2019, 07:23:08 AM »
Lush terrain and figures  :)
It’s purely a personal view but I do find the Perspex bases a little off-putting in a medieval setting - good for sci-fi, maybe not for other periods?

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2019, 11:29:31 AM »
Well clear bases are very much personal preference, and people tend to love them or hate them.
Personally, I base all single based miniatures on clear bases and multi-based miniatures on landscaped bases. The reason for this is that I like the miniatures to blend with the terrain they are standing on. About 4 years ago, I was setting up a photo shoot for an advert in Wargames Illustrated. We had just released a set of warehouse / industrial modular terra-block terrain, and I was setting it out for a 1920's Gangster shot. The terrain looked fantastic, the miniatures looked fantastic but something looked really wrong, and that was that some miniatures were standing on floorboards, some on stone floor, some on the ground outside but they were all dragging around with them a little round ornamental garden!!! I got my handy yellow handled GW clippers and destroyed the landscaped bases very quickly, mounted the figures on clear perspex and have never looked back.

Even if you have figures that are only going to be used on green grassy terrain, sooner or later they are going to stand on a road, a building or maybe some one elses wargames terrain that uses a different color grass, so that's why I use them.